Bandai 1/144 T-70

Robiwon

Master Member
Gone but not forgotten.
I started on my Bandai 1/144 Poe X-Wing this week. I had custom decals made by Dannon Marsh. They are beautiful decals. I have sets in orange, red, and blue. For this build I'm using the red set over Tamiya AS-20.

I used an oil wash with Turpenoid to darken the panel lines and bring out the incredible detail in this tiny kit. The tail cap and droid strip are simply just amazing with tons of tiny engraved detail. You just can't see it in the black plastic, but throw a different color on this ship and WOW, watch it pop!

Anyway, on to the pictures...

Oil wash applied.
8z1y4l.jpg

After sitting overnight the excess oil was removed.
zvx1dc.jpg

28lud00.jpg

ww0w8k.jpg

Adding a bit of color with burnt umber...
qsmnpi.jpg

On to the decals! The stripes on the engine vents look wrinkled, that's because the Solvaset is still working its magic on them. They eventually laid down. I supplied my T-70 sticker to Dannon as he did not have his kit yet. The decals turned out perfect. And the fit is spot on. They conform and tighten down over tiny details with a liberal amount of Solvaset.
28vdg7o.jpg

10wsggy.jpg

988x0l.jpg

6itudf.jpg

2m85a8l.jpg

Painting the tiny droid!
10p262g.jpg

Still a bit more detail painting to do tonight after the decals set up.

Last edited:
That is beyond stellar! At that scale too!

I am so digging these Bandai kits and have gotten fully back into modeling because of them.

Although I admit it takes me months to do a build due to finding time, and I'm trying so hard to achieve the kind of professional look so many of you guys imbue your projects with that I am often my own worst enemy in redoing everything from washes to weathering.

My snow speeder is almost done. I'm creating a second set of canopy handles for the second canopy they provide so I can switch up displaying it either open or closed, and I have yet to paint the pilots and do the decals.

Speaking of decals, I am amazed at the look of that set you applied to the mini. I've never used solvaset and have had good results with Future as a setting agent.

I've been sticking to acrylics with the Bandai models especially after I had read that some folks have had issues with the substrate after applying solvents. I don't want to take a risk weakening and breaking Bandai kits especially with my novice skill sets.

But wow… you made that tiny guy look like a 1/48 kit!

Thanks. Glad you got back into modeling. Yes, all of the Bandai kits are quite fantastic, at any scale!

This one is not done yet. Hopefully tonight.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back