NEW STAR WARS: ROGUE ONE TOYS REVEALED / U-Wing & Tie Striker

The OT just nailed it with Hoth, the Rebel Base in ANH, and Endor.

Interestingly, I'm old enough to remember fans complaining that Bespin and Dagobah looked too fake in TESB -- which is one of the reasons the SEs added windows and other digital enhancements to open up the Cloud City vistas a bit. I also remember fans complaining that Endor looked too earth-like. By ROTJ, the pattern of Star Wars fans complaining about pretty much everything had been soundly established.

That is a great and fair perspective. I was too young at the time.

Its one of the reasons the complaints about the prequels never bothered me. I'd heard them all before. I remember having to defend TESB to people who complained about the film's litany of sins. "It doesn't look like Star Wars." "Dagobah looks fake, like a set." "It has no ending. I feel cheated." "It isn't funny the way the first movie was." I remember one classmate railing endlessly about how the movie sucked because there were no shots of the TIE fighter pilots in their cockpits during the asteroid chase scene. Seriously.

My only issue with TESB is the way they it ended. My Father loved scifi movies but died from cancer before the next film was released so he never had a chance to see how things turned out. George Lucas chose to end the film with a grand revelation about Vader) instead of a grand resolution to the story.

Rogue One does have a known ending since we saw Leia with the stolen plans, the fun will be seeing how they did it,

Its one of the reasons the complaints about the prequels never bothered me. I'd heard them all before. I remember having to defend TESB to people who complained about the film's litany of sins. "It doesn't look like Star Wars." "Dagobah looks fake, like a set." "It has no ending. I feel cheated." "It isn't funny the way the first movie was." I remember one classmate railing endlessly about how the movie sucked because there were no shots of the TIE fighter pilots in their cockpits during the asteroid chase scene. Seriously.

I was actually thinking about the TIE fighter thing yesterday. It was a real testament to his film making that we never had to go back to the the cockpit interiors. We never saw the quad cannons again either. At that point, these things had been established and it would have been a redundant waste of time to put them in.

My only issue with TESB is the way they it ended.

I remember walking out of the theater in 1980 and hearing people gripe about the movie being a "rip-off" because they had to wait 3 years to find out what happens. I remember thinking it was a master stoke because it not only was completely in keeping with the Buck Rogers serial idea Lucas had, but it automatically built in an audience for the third movie. But, yeah, there we definitely POed people.

I was actually thinking about the TIE fighter thing yesterday. It was a real testament to his film making that we never had to go back to the the cockpit interiors. We never saw the quad cannons again either. At that point, these things had been established and it would have been a redundant waste of time to put them in.

To be fair, Lucas did including TIE cockpit shots in ROTJ, and they shot quad cannon shots that were cut from the final movie. But then again, ROTJ was in the middle of Lucas' divorce and they were rushing just to get a movie put together in time for release. Some of the movie seemed on autopilot. I think Lucas was also more interested in the story arc about Anakin's redemption than he was in the MacGuffin: the Death Star II. Overall, however, Lucas tries not to tell the exact same story twice. I'll concede TFA is more entertaining because it has more jokey humor, but I'll argue that Lucas' PT films are more original as artistic visions.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back