NEW STAR WARS: ROGUE ONE TOYS REVEALED / U-Wing & Tie Striker

I think a big part of the problem is the prequel backlash, it's as if they're terrified of any design that veers away from old school star wars. Which is good to a point.

We had return of x-wings, Falcon, landspeeder (turned on its side to create a speeder bike), but as was said above, the new designs are boxes or boxes with giant wings.

The prequels had story problems, but some beautiful designs (also stated above). The episode 3 jedi fighter is one of my favorite designs to date of any film...IMO.

Can't believe I forgot the gunship!! Which reminds me how much I loved the ARC-170 (think I got the name right), and those 2 legged open seat walkers (no idea of the name of those, but always imagined those being a blast to ride/walk around).

I may have to watch Ep III tonight...lol.

Can't believe I forgot the gunship!! Which reminds me how much I loved the ARC-170 (think I got the name right), and those 2 legged open seat walkers (no idea of the name of those, but always imagined those being a blast to ride/walk around).

I may have to watch Ep III tonight...lol.
There were also a bunch of great ships on the clone wars too. Cad bane had a wicked ship. I loved the shuttles too.

And I love that it was rarely derivitive of mcquarrie. Not to knock him but I'm getting tired of seeing tributes to sketches that I saw 20 years ago.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Re: NEW STAR WARS: ROGUE ONE TOYS REVEALED / U-Wing & Tie Striker

I think a big part of the problem is the prequel backlash, it's as if they're terrified of any design that veers away from old school star wars. .

Part of the reason I love the prequels designs is precisely because they intentionally veer away from OT designs. The Queen's silver starship, with it's smooth lines and curves, is a great contrast to the Millennium Falcon. Same with the Naboo fighters vs. X-Wings. It's really disheartening to look through the Art of The Force Awakens and see the forward-thinking concept art that had been under development before JJ took over and he decided, nope, just give them X-Wings, TIEs and the MF again. No courage. No vision. Rogue One at least seems to be stretching a little.

- - - Updated - - -

Cad bane had a wicked ship.

Revell made a kit -- the Magna Guard fighter -- that could be repainted as Cad Bane's ship. I have one and I've toyed with the idea.

Last edited:

They just wanna sell new toys:rolleyes

No doubt they recycled designs into something new in a hurry for the toy line. It wouldn't be the first time, hasbro absolutely loves doing repaints of transformers so reworking ship designs into weird mashups wouldn't be past them.

No doubt they recycled designs into something new in a hurry for the toy line. It wouldn't be the first time, hasbro absolutely loves doing repaints of transformers so reworking ship designs into weird mashups wouldn't be past them.

Wes, you know that Hasbro, depsite being one of the largest toy companies in the world, has no say in creating the designs for the movies? I know that GL had created EP3 characters and vehicles with merchandising in mind, but drawing the conclusion that Hasbro "reworked ship designs" is faulty. Granted, in the past Kenner had the liberty to create new vehicles, just as Hasbro obviously has when it comes to accessories, but that´s it. They currently rework movie designs into abominations from time to time, that is true.

I guess Hasbro had at least a say in designs and plot for Transformers, GI Joe and Battleship since those were Hasbro Studios films. And I'm pretty sure there will be close discussions between the movie makers and merchandize companies before designs are final.

And BTT, the NERF designs they came up with now clearly show that model makers are not the target group, at all ;)

Wes, you know that Hasbro, depsite being one of the largest toy companies in the world, has no say in creating the designs for the movies? I know that GL had created EP3 characters and vehicles with merchandising in mind, but drawing the conclusion that Hasbro "reworked ship designs" is faulty. Granted, in the past Kenner had the liberty to create new vehicles, just as Hasbro obviously has when it comes to accessories, but that´s it. They currently rework movie designs into abominations from time to time, that is true.

True but i was thinking they might be able to go to Disney and say "this would make a good toy and it would be cheap to make", especially if it could reuse parts of molds they already had like the prequel Jedi fighter. To be honest at this point i'm surprised Disney/Marvel didn't just buy hasbro outright since that's who makes all the toys for both.

True but i was thinking they might be able to go to Disney and say "this would make a good toy and it would be cheap to make", especially if it could reuse parts of molds they already had like the prequel Jedi fighter. To be honest at this point i'm surprised Disney/Marvel didn't just buy hasbro outright since that's who makes all the toys for both.

When it was first announced that Disney bought Lucasfilms I told a fellow collector buddy that one of their next steps would be to acquire Hasbro since, as you stated above, they make the majority of Star Wars toys. Shows how much I know about the licensing biz...lol.

I assume on major reason they didn't was that really Marvel/Star Wars is their only concern and hasbro has its fingers in much more that they had no interest in.

It's going to be a good flick. Designs look good! I like that lizard looking bad guy.
Personally, in think the costumes and character designs are amazing. Much better than TFA. But the ships and locations are pretty awful.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Everytime I see those pics of stormtroopers standing in the water i think it was a honeymoon pic of someone in the 501st

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I thought I was the only one thinking the Caribbean vacation seemed out of place and the desert city center looked weak. More power to them if they pull it off

I thought I was the only one thinking the Caribbean vacation seemed out of place and the desert city center looked weak. More power to them if they pull it off
I really hope NUWARS brings us to some alien worlds. TFA looked a lot like earth.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

This is probably for another page, but yes. I liked Force Awakens, but Maz Castle set and the planet didn't work visually. Luke's island worked great.

The OT just nailed it with Hoth, the Rebel Base in ANH, and Endor.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back