Master replicas at-at repaint number 4

Flyscriber

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
HI folks. Its been a while since I posted here, but here's another project for the list.
I've been given a MR AT-AT to repaint and turn into a display model.
The usually bad paint of the MR has been cleaned and degreased, and primer applied ready for paint.
Here are a few days images condensed into one posting (hopefully, if my broadband will cope with them.)

First stage is pre-darkening all areas where the paint will be chipped, giving a lovely Dalmatian look to the whole thing. Horrible!
a1.jpga4.jpg
Next up is the application of shed loads of latex masking to create small edge chips to many of the panels. Then a coat of primer ready for the base coat.
a8.jpga6.jpg

Day 2
Base coat on, RAL 9001 (an old favourite) in satin finish.
Subtle shading to bring the panels alive and some weathering started under the belly of the beast
b4.jpg20160707_175253.jpgb5.jpgb2.jpgb1.jpg
Chipping looks heavy at this time, but it ill calm down as the other darker colours go on eventually.

Day 3
Adding shading and dirt runs to the whole thing started. This is an eyeball stage where im looing for a balance to the whole thing. Following the reference images as uch as I can, but also allowing some licence for additions as this will be a more detailed display model.
c2.jpgc3.jpgc7.jpgc6.jpg

Attachments

• c8.jpg
    c8.jpg
    904.5 KB · Views: 373
Hi Stormy, I'm always up for repainting these replicas, they deserve a bit of time spending on them. I am a little far away being in the uk, but you can pm me if you would like a chat.
Cheers moffeaton, so far so good . :)

more here now
Multiple passes with subtle colour shifts to bring some detail into the flat panels and simulate old washy weathering. More fine detail is going on now with airbrushed streaks and some panel shading, but not to much, as I hate the chequerboard look which can be easy to slip into.
more soon.
f1.jpgf3.jpgf2.jpgf9.jpg

IM not sure if they blew it too badly, there are a couple of areas with the wrong greeblies, and I've heard the shape is a little off, but overall I think it one of the better replica versions out there. I've not seen the kit versions, I guess a Salzo one would be closer maybe, but honestly I cant say. Its definitely not offensive to the eye, I would have this dog in my house anyday :).
Here are the next images in the painting sequence. More detail going on, some shading now onto the panels to bring it all closer together. Its like a spot the difference challenge !!
g1.jpgg3.jpgg4.jpgg5.jpgg7.jpg

That's a great job to have Moffeaton, awesome stuff, I find staying within manufacturing guidelines is a bit of a pain, I've had he same with some of my designs for lucasfilm licensees over the years. There's always a compromise I find. Not that ive ever done a paint master, but I'm well aware of how Chinese whispers work, :) my stuff is more in the toy industry than the replicas Did the MR guys purposefully build in discrepancies to keep lucasfilm happy?.
This is an eye candy repaint for sure.
More updates on the re-paint.
I think I've finished this one, any more would be too much I think. Hope you all like it back on is base again.
View attachment 657034View attachment 657036View attachment 657037View attachment 657038
heres a video of

- - - Updated - - -

I was going to say, heres a viseo of the finished article if you fancy a moving image. Cheers all.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back