1/6 scale Oblivion figure diorama

So cool....that figure is awesome.

Great little project. Love the fact you're putting to use your scraps.

Are you going to add any lighting?

Lighting?????????
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm............
that is a very interesting idea!!!!!!
I will have to give that some serious consideration.
thank you very much for your creative advice.

It would be so simple too since your floor and back wall are easily accessible.

I'm in the middle of lighting my X-wing. If you go check it out, I've got a couple of links to some of the products I used. Model lighting boards with adjustable blinkers.

You could go crazy with flashers, blinkers, fiber optics, etc....or just keep it simple with just a few strategically placed and applied 12V LED's, 12 battery and a switch. Maybe some red wash over lighting would look cool. Or some red blinkers like alarms or something. Sorry, my mind going crazy, lol

Just a thought....

Hello all. It's paint time.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

As as you can see, the main part of the diorama wouldn't fit into my spray booth, so I extended the sides and top with some scrape cardboard.

I have a quick update:
in between coats of paint washes and paint spatter, I have decided to make a display base for my diorama. I laminated two sheets of 3/4" MDF board to give the base an overall thickness of 1 1/2". Using my circular saw I ripped it to size. I then ripped a sheet of 1/8" MDF for a raised platform on top of the base with 1/2" offset on all sides to accommodate an acrylic case, which I will fabricate last. Next up I'll give the base a few coats of black paint.

image.jpeg

Thank you you for looking.

Here is the base for the diorama with a few coats of paint on it. I use Rust-Oleum gloss black paint. Rust-Oleum is awesome stuff. When it's dry you can Sand and polish it to a high gloss mirror finish. I use automotive buffing compound and a rotary car buffer for that. However I'm not sure if I'm gonna polish it up or leave it with a matte satin finish.

View attachment 665027

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 69
I forgot to mention- You can use the brush on Rust-Oleum for this too. It's way cheaper at about ten bucks for a can that you can use for a few different projects. As for today, it's a lazy Sunday, and I'm feeling lazy..........so I'm using the spray can for this.

I have a quick update:
I have applied a rusty paint effect to the whole diorama.

image.jpeg

Here is a close up

image.jpeg

However, it's not quite rusty, crusty and grimy enough. I definitely want to go much further.
Thank you for looking.

I think this is the direction I'm looking to go, In terms of the level of rusty, crusty grime that I am looking to achieve.

image.jpeg

Hello all.
I have a quick update. Here is where I'm at with the rusty weathering.

image.jpeg

I think im almost there.

image.jpeg

I also started to paint paint the back. The back may never be seen depending on how it's displayed. However, one never knows. Therefore I'm gonna make it look as nice as possible. In retrospect, I should have put some model kit parts on the back. Live and learn. It's starting out like a Jackson Pollock painting. I must say it is fun slinging all this paint around.

I'm changing gears a bit and working on the base for the diorama. The spray finish has some "orange peel" to it.

image.jpeg

I sanded it it out with some 1,000 grit wet dry sandpaper. Then I hit it again with some 1,500 grit sandpaper.

image.jpeg

Now im up to buffing the finish out with some auto body buffing compound.
When it's done it will be like a mirror.

image.jpeg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back