Quick materials question: Latex in Silicone mold

detenten

I cast latex in a Rebound 40 mold (platinum silicone).
If I give it a wash with soap (or something else?) and use Mann's 200 release as usual, will Dragonskin (platinum silicone) cure in the mold? Or does latex taint it for all eternity?

(DragonSkin releases great from Rebound 40 with Mann's 200, so that's not in question; I'm wondering if there will just forever be residual latex that will prevent this mold from ever being usable for silicone ever again).

I'll probably try anyway just to find out, but was curious if anyone had a definitive answer.

Generally, sulfur leeching into the silicone is what causes inhibition issues down the road. Cleaning it with soap may not be enough.. It really depends on how recently the latex was cast, how fast the silicone's cure time is, how many layers of latex were applied...that kind of stuff. I don't think there is a definitive yes or no answer.

You can, if you want to be on the safe side, do a couple coats of Inhibit X, use PLENTY of release, and you'll likely get a good silicone pull. I say use plenty of release because Inhibit X causes silicone to vigorously stick to itself in my experience. Even between different products and brands.

Best of luck with whatever you end up doing! Happy casting.

You should definitely do a small test with different releases and what-not, and if the platinum silicone does not set up, you can clean it off with acetone. try doing a couple of mists of Crystal Clear because it is a sealant, but I mean just work with a ton of releases until something works, but you may just have to label the mold "Latex Only" on the end and leave it be if nothing works out.
Best of luck,
Jack Currier
http://jcurrier101.wixsite.com/jackcurrier

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back