What is your favourite Graflex lightsaber version?

I vote for the Skinnyflex used by Anakin in ROTS which in the SW chronology became Luke's ANH lightsaber. It's "based" on Graflex and also one of the rarest saber props out there.

Great question - and not straight forward to answer, well for me anyway!

ANH - it's beautiful, iconic and the 1st saber we ever saw and heard but the ESB version just looks so damn good - the changes all enhanced the look of the saber and my 8 year old self loved the new grips.

ROTJ V2 (only version in my mind) is equally iconic - its Obi Wan background/history make it nothing short of magical and the first time I picked up my MR V2 I remember thinking if I was going to carry/use a lightsaber I'd want it to be of this design, so solid and practical.

But looking over my shoulder at all 3 versions it's the ANH for me - it's just pure Star Wars.

Here is my evolution of sabers through my childhhod - love them all

temporary_zpsulu1ljcb.jpg

ANH - it's beautiful, iconic and the 1st saber we ever saw and heard but the ESB version just looks so damn good - the changes all enhanced the look of the saber and my 8 year old self loved the new grips.

ROTJ V2 (only version in my mind) is equally iconic - its Obi Wan background/history make it nothing short of magical and the first time I picked up my MR V2 I remember thinking if I was going to carry/use a lightsaber I'd want it to be of this design, so solid and practical.

But looking over my shoulder at all 3 versions it's the ANH for me - it's just pure Star Wars.

[url]http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z399/G864TST/temporary_zpsulu1ljcb.jpg[/URL]

Is that top one, one of those toys sold at the circus/fairs oh-so-many years ago? With the two characters fighting with "laserswords" molded into the grip?

Is that top one, one of those toys sold at the circus/fairs oh-so-many years ago? With the two characters fighting with "laserswords" molded into the grip?

Top one is a great little knock off saber - one of the first SW toys I ever got, remember seeing it advertised in one of my Mum's catalogues and begging for it.
I can't remember the company that made it. Did you spot the authentic vintage 1970's selloptape and on the end!

lasersword-back1_zpstmeg1il1.jpg

Not going to lie. The TFA is growing on me. It has a little of both. But, in the end, ESB will always be my favorite. I've wanted one since I was a little kid in the 80s. The scene of Luke reaching out for it in the cave just imprinted on me.

Look at the Prequels lightsabers and there's your answer . . . nothing beats a G R A F L E X by a long shot . . . oh and Han shot first :wacko ... I still need to finish my ANH with all vintage parts - minus my custom designed D-ring - I just love those vintage Exactra bubbles ... ESB was the first time I ever laid my eyes on a lightsaber though ... so for me ESB followed closely by ANH :)

Chaim

I've known you on this site almost 3 years!!!

GET ER DONE!!!

:lol

I've got to say the ESB version. It's so clunky and techy looking; it's got that future-80s aesthetic that I just love. For some reason, I tend to favor the ESB version of things more than the other films. That film is lightning in a bottle! It took what the original established and just made it... better.

It's a tie between ESB and TFA. I prefer the glass eye of TFA, but really like the chrome strip of ESB over the complete clamp cover of TFA. In the end, I went with TFA for my Graflex conversion simply because I snagged a vintage 4-cell with blank bottom.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z399/G864TST/temporary_zpsulu1ljcb.jpg

WOW! Is that a " Force Beam" lightsaber in the middle?? I loved mine as a kid. I even put a round piece of wood in the tube to give a power up power down effect when I held it up or down ( I wanted more realism even back then haha!) :lol

I've known you on this site almost 3 years!!!

GET ER DONE!!!

:lol

I've had my first G R A F L E X back in 2005 or so, I think . . . I've just been rather patient enough to gather the much needed pieces to be genuine vintage screen accurate used parts . . . now with the recent acquirement of the most accurate looking T-tracks to date . . . just one issue remains a puzzle to me ... with several Exactra's to choose from, I don't know if I'd go with all 'roundish' bubbles or with the flattened sides for Luke ANH :wacko

Chaim

I think it'll take me a few years to get all the pieces but 100% confident I'm going to enjoy every second of researching, tracking down pieces (buying wrong thing and starting again) and building it - great way to spend your time

- - - Updated - - -

WOW! Is that a " Force Beam" lightsaber in the middle?? I loved mine as a kid. I even put a round piece of wood in the tube to give a power up power down effect when I held it up or down ( I wanted more realism even back then haha!) :lol

Sure is mate - not as cool as an Icons saber (soooooo jealous)but one of my favourites as a kid - full sized green blade!!!!!

I've had my first G R A F L E X back in 2005 or so, I think . . . I've just been rather patient enough to gather the much needed pieces to be genuine vintage screen accurate used parts . . . now with the recent acquirement of the most accurate looking T-tracks to date . . . just one issue remains a puzzle to me ... with several Exactra's to choose from, I don't know if I'd go with all 'roundish' bubbles or with the flattened sides for Luke ANH :wacko

Chaim

What is "patience?"
Don't understand...

"Force Beam" now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time...a long time...

My brother and I each got one of those for Christmas that year. Both are loong gone so I'm really pleased to see someone who still has their original toy! I managed to put one together for my collection and am surprised that there isn't more love for it on the collector's market considering how many of us owned one.

I suppose since I'm here I'll cast my vote for the ANH hilt as well. It's what brought me to the RPF way back when.

Cheers,

Dave

I was always partial to the ESB version. It just looked cooler to me, but I hated the protruding knob on the front instead of the glass eye from ANH, so currently my favorite is TFA since it's basically my dream saber of ESB without the knob.

Chaim
The Exactra choice is one I've wrestled with too and until I make up my mind my Exactras are enjoying being in one piece :lol

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back