Probe Droid ID archive

Here's a parts question: The head and top of the body appear to be shaped like Plastruct low-rise and very low-rise domes, but I haven't found info on diameter. 6" seems to be the largest that they make, but that doesn't seem big enough. Care to shed some light on that?

Thank you Jason
I don't think they were 6 inch
I think they are bigger by memory I can check
They aren't plastruct and at one point there was talk that it could of been a possibility that lamp shades found around the ilm studios could of been used but nothis was ever confirmed or found as to the truth of that.

I Cnc vacpulls after years of trying to make a rib system shape and failing .
I used photos to superimpose the shape and kit parts to scale, I will say that a few here added to the work by changing a few diamensions to get it pretty much in my eyes perfect, I can let you decide
And feel free to check the photobucket photos to the work in progress of this.

I was moving and offered the pulls to a few here in oz as it wasn't feesable to ship
No one wanted them and the machinsit needed to clear his workshop so they were trashed
I know of one guy who may sell the 13 pieces but other than that I can only assist is dims and not parts to the shell.
Every other part that Jason doesn't know
I can post here what it is. He probably hasn't gotten round to it yet
Mine is complete

http://s284.photobucket.com/user/marsattack70/library/probe droid?sort=3&page=1

Thank you
Mars

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the pictures!
If you find the dimensions for the head and body domes, I'll be able to make some patterns and start pulling my vacuform shells.

Mars, those pics are so good!
Added a few more IDs. Hope to wrap it up this week! It's been fun going back through the kit scans and remembering where things were clipped from, and all thanks to the many talented members here discovering and sharing IDs on this one, over the last half a decade.

Is there anyone that has an unmade kit here that can quickly measure it for this member?
I know the upper part of body is 30.5cm
Maybe you can scale it using my pics in the photobucket
Sure that's what it was.
I think also that was including upper Armour plating?
Mine is in a box and assembled
I also know quincy made an incredible cad drawing of this to scale using the kit I made and all parts and some customed stand he wanted
Maybe he has these diamensions handy
Mars

#03 Tamiya - Tank Destroyer SU-85
#04 Plastruct LF-412
#09 Hasegawa - Moerser Karl
#10 Hasegawa - Moerser Karl
#12 Hasegawa - Moerser Karl
#16 Plastruct LF-8
#33 Hasegawa - Moerser Karl
#34 Airfix - Saturn V
#32 Roco Gepard
#35 Plastruct LF-8
#36 Tamiya - Taiho
#46 Plastruct LF-8
#47 Plastruct LF-6
#53 Airfix - Saturn V
#54 Plastruct LF-8
#55 Plastruct LF-6
#59 Tamiya - Churchill Crocodile
#66 Plastruct LF-8
#90 Airfix - Saturn V
#101 Hasegawa - Moerser Karl
#102 Tamiya - Churchill Crocodile
#103 Hasegawa - Moerser Karl
#Head (green) Plastuct LF-416

Last edited:
Here's a parts question: The head and top of the body appear to be shaped like Plastruct low-rise and very low-rise domes, but I haven't found info on diameter. 6" seems to be the largest that they make, but that doesn't seem big enough. Care to shed some light on that?

I'm measuring right around 240mm at the widest part of the head bottom and 242mm at the widest part of the head top. They taper in a little where they join of course, so they are a little narrower there (about 2.5mm narrow total). If you need any other dimensions or pics let me know. Happy to provide them if Mars is cool with it.

They are lovely parts. I was halfway thru a PD kit when these were offered and so glad I got them. I figure I'm only going to build one in my lifetime, so might as well go all in.

Fantastic! Thank you all so much.

Wow! That's about 9.5" diameter. Bigger than I thought it was.

If I could get the diameter of the body dome, I think I can extrapolate the rest from there.

Glad you still like them buddy and thank you for providing that info and promptly.
Mars
I'm measuring right around 240mm at the widest part of the head bottom and 242mm at the widest part of the head top. They taper in a little where they join of course, so they are a little narrower there (about 2.5mm narrow total). If you need any other dimensions or pics let me know. Happy to provide them if Mars is cool with it.

They are lovely parts. I was halfway thru a PD kit when these were offered and so glad I got them. I figure I'm only going to build one in my lifetime, so might as well go all in.

Hi Jason! What is part #32 on the "Body Underside"? It isn't listed with your photo.
It looks kinda like a FLIR pod from something....

Super helpful thread! I've wanted to build one of these almost as long as I've wanted a full size Artoo.

(Got the Artoo, now he needs a buddy!)

#32 is a Roco Gepard
Unbenannt.JPG

Fantastic! Thank you all so much.

Wow! That's about 9.5" diameter. Bigger than I thought it was.

If I could get the diameter of the body dome, I think I can extrapolate the rest from there.

299mm. That is the body top without any plating.

Almost there - just need to clarify the Plastruct codes :)

Still need to do 85 & 87 - pretty sure the Ertl German Artillery WWII W/M-18 Light Howitzer in 1/35th is the donor for the green one, but I have to verify.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back