New alternative for Solo Blaster

I like the weathering on the flash hider! How did you do it, only with steel wool?

I stripped it down to bare aluminum and then applied aluminum black. I then used 0000 steel wool to weather it down on the high spots then a bit more aluminum black to tone down the bright areas. I then rubbed in some oil to bring back a bit of a shine. The aluminum black is super dull and the oil application really helps with the look.

I did everything but the scope and scope mount that way too.

I just hit the scope and mount with a red scotchbrite pad and 0000 steel wool. I also put some flat black paint on the brass areas and wiped off the excess after a minute or so to darken the brass down.

Finally done done! I got the grills from http://www.reademodels.com/ and they came with the antennas so I made the sight greebly with a piece of T-rail I had from a lightsaber build.
I got some wood grips, with the wrong line pattern, so I made new finer lines with a
DEM-BART - MASTER CHECKING SET that I had from a previous project. After cutting the new lines I gave them a clear coat and banged them around with a wrench to add dents and scratches finishing with some vallejo smokey ink for a dirt look. As mentioned earlier the gun was taken completely apart and gently sandblasted, buffed up with fine sandpaper and fine steelwool. I then gave the parts several coats of Birchwood Casey Aluminium Black with light steelwool between the last three layers. The only gun part with paint on is the flash hider, I used smokey ink for the burned look.
Great model gun to work with, top quality and super cool shooting action. First image is the business end of the cutter tools I used for the grips
Edit: I added a groove to the scope nob by using my drill chuck as a lathe, fastening the nob with a screw through the centre hole and cutting the groove with a small file as it spun slowly.
Cutters.jpgDL_44 left.jpgDL_44 right.jpgDL-44 top.jpg

Cutters.jpg

DL_44 left.jpg

DL_44 right.jpg

DL-44 top.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great! I like what you did with the grips. Just picked up some no line grips for my Denix and had planned to do the same thing with checkering tool. Nice work!

Looks great! I like what you did with the grips. Just picked up some no line grips for my Denix and had planned to do the same thing with checkering tool. Nice work!

Thanks. I'm sure it will be easier with blank grips. It was a hassle to get the new lines to match with the original wider lines. A tip, screw the grips on to a board. It'll be much easier to cut the lines and they will all end at same height that way.

The only gun part with paint on is the flash hider, I used smokey ink for the burned look.

Beautiful work! Could you explain how you applied the smokey ink to give the burned look? I would really like to do this with mine.

Also, how did you tone down the brass ends of the scope? I'm at a loss for how to do that and the shiny ends look a little silly on my increasingly worn looking blaster. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually just used my fingers, rubbing it on and wiping it with a cloth.
The brass parts also has a coating from the factory. So I sandblasted them and sanded them to smoothen the surface. Then I used aluminum black to darken them. Final distressing was done with fine steel wool.

Thought my gun was coming today, got a small envelope with a flash hider in it. Bought from KYairsoft. hoping another package is coming. Just sent them a message, I'll see what they say.

Just found this thread and it's been very helpful. I just ordered one of these from Evike with a free 3 day shipping code. I'm putting together a Han Solo ANH costume and plan to covert it with electronic sound and light. I don't care too much about the airsoft functionality all that much. I just want it to go PEW,PEW, PEW! Although, it would be cool if it could do both, but I don't know if that's really possible.

Anybody tried converting one of these to electronic? I suppose it's similar to converting a full metal Denix version, huh?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back