PH 1:1 Terminator Figure Build

PHArchivist

Master Member
As some may have gathered from my recent posting history, after 15 years I've finally gotten around to building a PH-style (Planet Hollywood) 1:1 Terminator figure.

Heres the shin. Poor Man's Plating. No black accent weathering yet; no blood... Still a WIP.

Shin 001.JPGShin 002.JPGShin 003.JPGShin 004.JPG

Last edited:
Re: Terminator Build

Shiny :)

Can't wait to see the finished results ;)

Almost TOO shiny!

Self-adhesive chrome mylar.

Works really well on simple curves and flat surfaces. But it is - after all - a wrap. So corners and compound curves do not work well. Plus the adhesive is not too aggressive, and the surface was not sanded "glass-smooth". So in the trickier areas to negotiate, it tends to peel up. Will require lots of clear window caulking (painted with Clear Red) to hold it down, and cover up less-than-perfect spots.

The mylar seems to take both Clear Gloss and Semi-Gloss without dulling much at all. I may try to knock back the shine just a touch using one or the other clear coats.

Re: PH Terminator Figure Build

More progress...

Added some black accenting. Went quick and somewhat sloppy with it since much will be covered in blood anyway.

Also added some window sealant. The white stuff will be teased out into a more "torn flesh" shape, and will dry clear. Then comes the fun - hitting with with Tamiya Clear Red.

IMG_6149.JPG

IMG_6148.JPG

IMG_6151.JPG

IMG_6152.JPG

IMG_6150.JPG

Last edited:
Re: PH Terminator Figure Build

Also did a quick test (not pictured) for the torn flesh using Elmer's Wood Putty.

Love the stuff. VERY easy to work with, dries solid enough (as long as its not load-bearing), and dries a nice organic mustard yellow. With the clear red over the top, it gave a nice blood-type color tone. But with just one coat of red, it absorb enough paint that it is a dull finish. Need to add one or two more coats of clear red, or a coat of gloss to really test it out.

Getting there... The clear window caulking does give a nice translucent look, but it is also decidedly different than the resin torn flesh. Also, the black paint does not cover up with clear red, so it is too bold in areas. The yellow wood putty may be a solution. And I may need a second overall coat of the red.

Then comes the hard part. Creatively adding drips and other bits of flesh in the center areas of the shin. I'm not very good at that.

IMG_6177.JPG

IMG_6178.JPG

IMG_6179.JPG

IMG_6180.JPG

IMG_6181.JPG

Working it...

Still too orange.

IMG_6195.JPG

IMG_6196.JPG

IMG_6197.JPG

IMG_6198.JPG

IMG_6199.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

And bugged about the orange peel look of the mylar. Practically impossible to avoid. Does it even on glass. Trade off for the shine.

Not sure if you have seen this one may help... Also reddish wood stains like Jarrah or maple may work for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it look s touch less orange...?

Close-ups are way blurry - sorry. Cell... iPhone 4S at that.

Looks almost rose in the pics (pics at full size)..

IMG_6220.JPG

IMG_6222.JPG

IMG_6225.JPG

Last edited:
Looking great. I think you should tone down the red a bit. Torn flesh isn't really that red, only when soaked in blood, so adding skin colored section in there to break up the uniform red would be an idea to make it look more realistic. Just drybrush it on very lightly to keep the red in the crevices. Also, maybe darken the red a little or mottle it with dark brown too in certain areas.

Basically impossible to judge the color from them photos :unsure

Very true...

- - - Updated - - -

It's making me squirm so I think your doing a great job. ;)

Ben

THAT is what I want to hear!

- - - Updated - - -

Looking great. I think you should tone down the red a bit. Torn flesh isn't really that red, only when soaked in blood, so adding skin colored section in there to break up the uniform red would be an idea to make it look more realistic. Just drybrush it on very lightly to keep the red in the crevices. Also, maybe darken the red a little or mottle it with dark brown too in certain areas.

Its such a tough call... The PH statues were VERY good, but were not hyper realistic (some better than others). Most of the "blood" on thosere was pretty bright red; almost too bright red in most cases. This project fulfills a dream of having a PH figure in my home, so I'm trying to draw a balance between how they presented, with a touch more realism.

- - - Updated - - -

Looking awesome thus far mate. I'm just about finished my own build. Not long to go. It's fun isnt it?

Regards
T
A
Z

Love to see it! Absolute fun - working on it is like crack.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow! After all this time! ;)

I'll be watching with interest.

KC

Ha! Great to hear from you! Stick around...! :D

Well it's certainly not up to the standard of some here but it's getting closer to finished. I'll post some pics when I get some decent ones. Just don't wanna hijack;)

Regards
T
A
Z

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well it's certainly not up to the standard of some here but it's getting closer to finished. I'll post some pics when I get some decent ones. Just don't wanna hijack;)

Regards
T
A
Z

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started a master thread on the topic of this subject over in the sculpting and bust forum. Add to it...! :D

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back