Batman: The Telltale Series Gadgets - Grapple Gun

JaxAndTheMoon

Sr Member
Hello!

I believe this is my first thread over here in the DC section, but my love for Batman has finally meshed over with my prop building. I've never been one for full sized suits since I don't cosplay (not yet at least) but I regularly check up on the Batsuit Build threads, and I love the work in there. So with the latest release of Batman: The Telltale Series, I noticed the gadget designs were really interesting. I love the smoke grenades and the new grapple gun. I figured I'd take a crack at it on my own terms.

The journey began collecting reference images for the grapple. Unfortunately there aren't any dead on views of the grapple gun in a view that would allow for easy 3D replicating. So I pulled the best images I could, and used Batman's hands as reference for the size.

batman grapple 3 (2).jpgbatman grapple 4 (2).jpgbatman grapple 5 (2).jpg

I tweaked the brightness and contrast for maximum detail analysis. I began to draw my own blueprints, and using my own hand as a basis of size reference to match up as much as I can with Batman's hands. My hands are rather large so I figured doing a 1:1 with my own hand compared to Batman's hand was reasonable.

I decided to make the "closed" or "deactivated" version. I noticed that when he fires it, two pulleys open up as the front end extends out and fires the grapple. So I figured making the version that would hang on the belt or be displayed would look better.

It took me about an hour or so, but this is what I've got so far.

DSC_0605_zpsfzcfaqdo.jpg

It's a rather large gun once it gets drawn out fully, but I guess it's not that unreasonable as far as size goes. Soon, I'll be uploading my scans into Blender and begin the modeling stage.

Not a long post I guess, but I just thought I'd throw this out there for you guys. Let me know what you think!

Attachments

• batman grapple 3 (2).jpg
    batman grapple 3 (2).jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 1,441
  • batman grapple 4 (2).jpg
    batman grapple 4 (2).jpg
    350.1 KB · Views: 2,759
  • batman grapple 5 (2).jpg
    batman grapple 5 (2).jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 890
Alright so I've gone ahead and created a nice model for myself here. Now, I don't have a 3D printer, so the next step here is beyond me. I may have to turn to someone to help me out with this. Anyways, this is what I have so far:

Grapple%20Render%20with%20mark_zpsfij4zf6g.png

It's split into multiple pieces so that it's easy to just layer together and assemble, and it's hollow so that maybe electronics could be installed for the glowing sections? Maybe some EL? Maybe.

Let me know what you guys think!

This looks great. The grapple gun has become such an integral part of Batman I love to see new ones. I have a collection of replicas, and some original designs.... There's always room for more!

This looks great. The grapple gun has become such an integral part of Batman I love to see new ones. I have a collection of replicas, and some original designs.... There's always room for more!

Thanks! Once I figure out how I'm going to get this thing into the real world, I'll see what comes of making more!

Alright guys, some more pictures for this thread today:

N10PEmn.png

eeaIaTg.png

I also wanted to throw this out there since I've had some ask me about the possibility of making a few of these, so if anyone has an interest in them, I'll probably be making a thread in the classifieds.

Let me know what you guys think!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back