The suitcase from Fantastic Beasts and how to recognize it

this thread is amazing , its wonderful to see these skills being used.

Now for an animatroic creature hand popping out of the side :).

:) From day one, before I even new about the niffler, I looked for something I could use for the little hands/paws popping out. I investigated resin taxidermy animal paws like raccoons, rodents and such, but I haven't found the right critter yet. I've also given thought to having a plush murtlap spring out, if a wayward individual "accidentally" opened the case. I'd LMAO!

ATL

Last edited:
QUOTE=ATL Kenobi;4154361]:) From day one, before I even new about the niffler, I looked for something I could use for the little hands/paws popping out. I investigated resin taxidermy animal paws like raccoons, rodents and such, but I haven't found the right critter yet. I've also given thought to having a plush murtlap spring out, if wayward a individual "accidentally" opened the case. I'd LMAO!
You could just put a shaker in there so every now and then it shakes and makes a sound. :)

ATL[/QUOTE]

:) From day one, before I even new about the niffler, I looked for something I could use for the little hands/paws popping out. I investigated resin taxidermy animal paws like raccoons, rodents and such, but I haven't found the right critter yet. I've also given thought to having a plush murtlap spring out, if wayward a individual "accidentally" opened the case. I'd LMAO!

ATL
Closest I can think of is a mole, but they seem to have too many digits. If it was resin you may be able to remove the extra and repaint.

Last edited:
I turned a pine wooden form, shellacked it and used it for wet forming 2 small pieces of black goatskin leather.
attachment.php

These were used to replace the leather on the old pair of brass binoculars I found.
attachment.php

ATL

Attachments

• 72 leather on binocs.jpg
    72 leather on binocs.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 1,303
  • 73 Binocs.jpg
    73 Binocs.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 1,302
Christmas and the holidays have slowed me down but I am past the basic construction phase of the build. Thanks again for the inspiration. I decided to stick closer to your dimensions as I preferred the overall ascetic. Instead of creating another thread, since I hardly need to repeat this elegant build, I am working on a time-lapse video of the process.
_DSC6849.JPG

I think I have found a majority of the hardware for the build but I am having issues with the hinges. Did you find them or have they been customized to match the screen version?

Beetroot
Excellent job so far :thumbsup, and by all means please post as many pictures as you want to this thread!

I think I have found a majority of the hardware for the build but I am having issues with the hinges. Did you find them or have they been customized to match the screen version?

I searched high and low on the Internet for that stupid hinge and then found them while looking for something else at a Lowe's Hardware. They're a 1.5 inch 3 knuckle brass plated hinge. I then used a bench grinder and rounded off one side to a 2.5 inch radius.
attachment.php

Being they are plated, I used a combination of antique brass paint misted with some flat black.

ATL

Attachments

• 74 Hinges from Lowes.jpg
    74 Hinges from Lowes.jpg
    842.3 KB · Views: 1,253
Last edited by a moderator:
@Beetroot
Excellent job so far :thumbsup, and by all means please post as many pictures as you want to this thread!

I searched high and low on the Internet for that stupid hinge and then found them while looking for something else at a Lowe's Hardware. They're a 1.5 inch 3 knuckle brass plated hinge. I then used a bench grinder and rounded off one side to a 2.5 inch radius.
http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=695192&d=1483444711

Being they are plated, I used a combination of antique brass paint misted with some flat black.

ATL

Hahah, I did the exact same thing. Good to know there isn't a magic resource of hinges that has eluded me. Thanks for the reference.

Wow this is really awesome stuff, that briefcase from fantastic beasts is amazing.
I was considering taking on a briefcase project myself. I need some leather, would any of you recommend a shop? I found this leather shop .

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back