The suitcase from Fantastic Beasts and how to recognize it

This is shaping up very nicely, ATL! Subscribed for sure. :thumbsup

Would you kindly be able to post the measurements for your locks? Just the dimensions of the backing plate should be enough for me to extrapolate everything else from.

Kind regards, The14thDr

This is shaping up very nicely, ATL! Subscribed for sure. :thumbsup

Would you kindly be able to post the measurements for your locks? Just the dimensions of the backing plate should be enough for me to extrapolate everything else from.

Kind regards, The14thDr

All dimensions are in inches.
attachment.php

I see I left off one dimension - the mounting holes are 0.206 from the top or bottom edge.

The back of the lock is not flat and required a rectangular hole in the leather which are the purple dimensions.

ATL

Attachments

• 69 lock dims.JPG
    69 lock dims.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 1,424
I just run into this build today and have to say you have done a wonderful job. One quick question I have is what is the thickness of the leather that you used? Was the edge and handle wrap from the same source or slightly thinner?
I might have just deluded myself into trying to replicate your glorious work ;)
Thanks again for sharing this.

One quick question I have is what is the thickness of the leather that you used? Was the edge and handle wrap from the same source or slightly thinner

I would like to know that, too. I am currently working on a sketch of the whole suitcase. When it's done i will give it a try.
I think the leather is about 2-3mm thick. But I would like to know the exact thickness.

Also I am wondering if you have a clue which binoculars are included in the original case. I also found the Baby Ben clock, but had no luck with the binoculars...

I tried to adjust the brightness to see a little bit more of the back part. Here in Germany they don't really have a perfect match. The lenses have to be pretty close together which tells me it's pretty old.. and a very short model it seems.

bino.png

Last edited:
:) Thanks!

I just run into this build today and have to say you have done a wonderful job. One quick question I have is what is the thickness of the leather that you used? Was the edge and handle wrap from the same source or slightly thinner?
I might have just deluded myself into trying to replicate your glorious work ;)
Thanks again for sharing this.

It's hid but the leather thickness is mentioned in post 18. It must be some sort of legacy measurement system but leather thickness is generally given in ounces, but an ounce correlates to 1/64" (0.379mm). So I used 7 oz for the handle which is 7/64" or 0.109" or 2.78mm, 5 oz for the case, lid, and corner guards (5/64" or 0.78" or 2mm) and a thin 2 oz - actually sheepskin - for the edging (2/64" or 1/32" or .09" or 0.79mm)

I would like to know that, too. I am currently working on a sketch of the whole suitcase. When it's done i will give it a try.
I think the leather is about 2-3mm thick. But I would like to know the exact thickness.

Also I am wondering if you have a clue which binoculars are included in the original case. I also found the Baby Ben clock, but had no luck with the binoculars...

I tried to adjust the brightness to see a little bit more of the back part. Here in Germany they don't really have a perfect match. The lenses have to be pretty close together which tells me it's pretty old.. and a very short model it seems.

View attachment 684897

View attachment 684943

They almost look like these opera glasses. Almost.

Opera glasses being more popular in the time setting of the film.

As you might imagine, I've kind of been looking for the binoculars too, and I'd have to say that those opera glasses are the closest match to the prop that I've seen. I'd be perfectly happy with those! :p

ATL

As you might imagine, I've kind of been looking for the binoculars too, and I'd have to say that those opera glasses are the closest match to the prop that I've seen. I'd be perfectly happy with those! :p

ATL
I saw that one, too. I think it is kind of common. The only thing about it I don't like is the distance between the two front lenses. They are too far away.
bino3.png

I found this one on eBay which has the right distance and a thicker wheel in the middle. It is kinda used but maybe i can fix that with new leather. What do you think?

The picture doesn't show the right position of the lenses. You have to imagine the front ones to be pulled out a bit and the back ones pushed in to the limit. (not my hand btw :lol)
Bildschirmfoto 2016-11-22 um 13.44.24.pngBildschirmfoto 2016-11-22 um 13.44.46.png

Last edited:
:) Thanks!

It's hid but the leather thickness is mentioned in post 18. It must be some sort of legacy measurement system but leather thickness is generally given in ounces, but an ounce correlates to 1/64" (0.379mm). So I used 7 oz for the handle which is 7/64" or 0.109" or 2.78mm, 5 oz for the case, lid, and corner guards (5/64" or 0.78" or 2mm) and a thin 2 oz - actually sheepskin - for the edging (2/64" or 1/32" or .09" or 0.79mm)

ATL
Thanks, my apologies. I thought I had read through every post completely and even ran a few searches, I should have assumed with such a detailed build it would be there and looked one more time. Thanks again

Your props and costumes are always so amazing!! Your attention to detail and your talent is enviable. I enjoy your posts so very much! Thanks to this thread I am now working on collecting Newt's items. I found these years ago on Ebay. I used them with a quidditch display but will now be repurposing them for Newt's suitcase. They are printed with the words "Le Jockey Club Paris" around the eye pieces. There are no other distinguishing labels.

binoculars.JPG

I did some research into the Westclox cloxs from the 20's and have decided against buying any. I actually purchased one on ebay and have cancelled the order only minutes after buying it when I was looking into how to repair it and found this information out on a website.

http://www.alarmclockdoc.com/FAQ.htm

Apparently they were "Luminious" which back then means they "A little known fact is that the old luminous paint was mildly radioactive--actually, a form of radioactive cobalt and/or radium, mixed with phosphorescent paint." More info here.

http://www.kensclockclinic.com/frequently-asked-questions/

Last edited:
I tired to find the perfect Binoculars over the last weeks on eBay and elsewhere. But I was not able to find it, yet. So I got this one which is pretty close when you look at the distance between the front lenses. The only thing which is wrong is the length of the front lenses casing. But maybe I am able to fix it by cutting both of the cylinders in half.
IMG_1520.png

Finally had a chance to work on this again. I added a track to the lock mechanism and guide to the Muggle Worthy flag so it can slide up and down:
attachment.php

Found a pair of binoculars. The green turned out to be corrosion which was easily removed with some steel wool. I'm working on replacing the leather.
attachment.php

And I need to add a leather strap somehow.

ATL

Attachments

• 70 MW in progress.jpg
    70 MW in progress.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 1,313
  • 71 Binocs in rough shape.jpg
    71 Binocs in rough shape.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,339
this thread is amazing , its wonderful to see these skills being used.

Now for an animatroic creature hand popping out of the side :).

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back