Moonbase Alpha

Lee S

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
In my continuing quest to research crazy projects to build, I've started looking closer at the miniature of Moonbase Alpha with the thoughts of making a replica. I want to figured out more of the kit parts that were used. Many of the obvious ones were found long ago, but there's a bunch that I haven't. If anyone knows what any of the part below are from, please let us all know. Thanks. L
MBA_MissingParts_01.png
Moonbase14.PNG

A is part #11 - Airfix 1/600 Bismark
image2_zpszfavpwej.jpg

F is part #54 - Airfix 1/72 M3 "Lee/Grant" Tank - an extra bit has been added from another kit on the bottom right corner
H is part #46 - Airfix 1/72 M3 "Lee/Grant" Tank
I is part #51 Airfix 1/72 M3 "Lee/Grant" Tank

image1_zpsiytljuea.jpg

M is part #52 - Airfix 1/76 M4 Sherman Mk1 Tank
P is part of part #17 - Airfix 1/76 M4 Sherman Mk1 Tank - slice off the extra parts

IMG_1568_zps4fnyab18.jpg

Here's the first pass at the parts map. Many smaller pieces to go over and a few larger ones I've not spotted yet.
Thanks Evan for the help!
Moonbase_Parts_Map_v15.png

Last edited:
Here's some pieces I'm still looking for.
2B 'looks' like it's from the Airfix Panther, but it's slightly different (but the same size)
Screen Shot 2016-08-12 at 8.16.23 AM.png

Yeah I've been looking at Tiger tanks too. Several are 'close' but none so far match 100% :)

Gotta be a Tiger, the way there is a 'pair' (one with a shallow socket for the other part's shaft...) Perhaps a Fujimi 1/76 Tiger was used? Any idea of the actual size of the wheel?

R/ Robert

That will be the idea! Once i have a house again :)
Are you going to mount this on the wall when you are done? I really like that idea.

- - - Updated - - -

I've checked all the Panther and Tigers I can find in 1/72 and 1/76. It's the exact same size as the Airfix, so my next task is to get a 'vintage' Panther incase something changed in the molds.

So what doesn't match? It looked like there was a little tab on the shaft socket on one, but that could be mold 'flash'...

R/ Robert

Yep. there's the 'little extra on top', but it's way more than mold flash. I've looked at a vintage kit on ebay and I think there is a slight difference with the recent issues. It's cheap enough to just buy and find out :)

So what doesn't match? It looked like there was a little tab on the shaft socket on one, but that could be mold 'flash'...

R/ Robert

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back