Baldiez sticking to mold

looking4lulu

Hi, I've recently started encapsulating my silicone prosthetics in regular baldiez. I usually use ultracal 30 molds sealed with a layer of vaseline and then spray on a layer of epoxy parfilm 4 and then paint on a layer of baldiez since I dont have an airbrush. I do the same on both sides of the mold and then cast with ecoflex 30 silicone from Smooth On.

I am having a problem with the bladiez sticking to the mold and not completely bonding with my silicone. I've realized I can mostly blend the pieces of baldiez that are peeling off the silicone with acetone so the prosthetic looks decent, but there must be a better way! What am I doing wrong?

Also, Should I paint the bladiez on the back side of the silicone prosthetic after it has cured instead of painting the baldiez on the back/underside of the prosthetic mold?

Any help would be appreciated! I'd love to hear others' input!

Your release system should work, though painting the baldiez could be damaging the release barrier you've created. Typically the problem isn't about sticking to the mold so much as delamination from the silicone. I don't know of anyone else who makes encapsulated prosthetics with ecoflex, so switching to platsil gel 10 might solve the problem right there. The other thing to try is spraying in the baldiez. If you aren't in the market for an airbrush, you can get a spritz bottle and put it on that way. Not nearly as good as an airbrush, but possibly would have different results than painting it in.

Like Mr. Anderson said, brushing in the Baldiez may be destroying the release, so I would invest in buying an airbrush from Harbor Freight, I got mine for like $14.00. How many layers are you putting onto the mold? I usually spray on 7-8 layers, or spraying and rotating the mold twice, and adding a deadener to the silicone, like 2 parts A+B to 1 part D (Example:100A, 100B, 100D) can make the silicone really sticky (the more deadener added, the stickier it gets) which will adhere well to the Bladiez. Lastly, try putting on a few layers of Pros-Aide or Pro-Bond Primer after putting on the Baldiez to help it bond very well to the silicone.

- - - Updated - - -

Like Mr. Anderson said, brushing in the Baldiez may be destroying the release, so I would invest in buying an airbrush from Harbor Freight, I got mine for like $14.00. How many layers are you putting onto the mold? I usually spray on 7-8 layers, or spraying and rotating the mold twice, and adding a deadener to the silicone, like 2 parts A+B to 1 part D (Example:100A, 100B, 100D) can make the silicone really sticky (the more deadener added, the stickier it gets) which will adhere well to the Bladiez. Lastly, try putting on a few layers of Pros-Aide or Pro-Bond Primer after putting on the Baldiez to help it bond very well to the silicone.
Best of luck,
Jack Currier
http://jcurrier101.wixsite.com/jackcurrier

I found that ecoflex needs to be left overnight before de moulding. Even when its cured in your mixing cup it takes longer to completely cure in a closed mould. In addition, when working with a porous mould you need to be incredibly thorough. When suing vasaline hit it with a hairdryer to liquify it and make sure it completely soaks in to the surface effectively blocking the pores of the plaster.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back