The Mummy <> 1/6th scale Hamunaptra key

Jintosh

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
IMG_0974.JPG....IMG_0973.JPG.....IMG_0972.JPG

Dwing asked me to make a 1/6th scale key. Physically it did work. The flaps are all INDIVIDUAL pieces, and they snap into place.

Buuuut......when you try and rotate the flaps into the closed position, they come out of their hinges. It is simply too small to be

totally functional. :unsure:)

I'll try again, now that I know the weak point, maybe I can fix that. :D

Last edited:
Looks great man, currently working on a key myself but im way too clumsy for that kind of small work. What are your measurements by the way, just so I can check and see if mine is of the right scale?

Looks great man, currently working on a key myself but im way too clumsy for that kind of small work. What are your measurements by the way, just so I can check and see if mine is of the right scale?

I posted a message some time back, asking for the right dimensions...and no one responded. Mine is just estimated from screen caps, and my full size model may be larger than some of the static models on eBay. <shrug>

You can see dimensions on the Shapeways page for the mini version.

search "Mini Hamunaptra key" and "mini key flaps all"

Last edited:
Stopped by-it looks great. As I said over on Shapeways I was not too hopeful for the hinges to work but if they do I'll grab another. On the scale size it might be a little large but not much.
Again, thank you.

Yep, I submitted a new design with new hinges, and the flaps have longer PEGS to try and stay in the hinge better.

I also tried to enhance the images on the sides of the key.

I made it as small as I could and still have a hope of being functional. If you want a static key, that can be made smaller.

Simultaneously, I submitted the file for the BASE to iMaterialise in metal. Just to see what they'll do with it in metal.

Static might work as I would display it that way most of the time. Metal would be cool to see.

I tried to upload the flaps file also, but they said, for high def steel they only allowed 1 object per 3D print. The base is one object, but it would require EIGHT separate orders to do the 8 flaps. It would cost a not-so-small fortune.

So I just did the base and it only cost (ONLY?) $40 with shipping. That's the problem with using them. $15 of the $40 is just for shipping to the USA.

But I wanted to see what small detail they can do in case I REALLY want to do a project in the future.

(need that LOTTO about now....) ;)

Maybe I can get around their one object limit by connecting the 8 flaps by rods in a star formation....thus, making a single object.

But then it would be extra work cutting them up.

Okay, I did what I said in the last post.

I made a single object shaped like an 8 pointed star with one FLAP on each point. I'll need to snip them and sand the edges when they arrive.

If all goes well, I'll have a 1/6th scale Hamunaptra key made of stainless steel. Hopefully I can then get it gold plated.

Okay, that DIDN'T work. They rejected the combined object, so all they'll do is the base. They said they'd do the 8 flaps as 8 individual files.

I upload 1 flap and it would have been $15. So, $120 for the 8 flaps. That's annoying.

IMG_0983.JPG.....IMG_0987.JPG.....IMG_0989.JPG

Here's my most recent key. Sorry for the blurry video, I had to get real close to this because of the size.
I lightly sanded the sides with 1500 grit sandpaper and used Rub-N-Buff.
I'm happy with the result.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the high def acrylic from Shapeways. The base and the flaps. The flaps now WORK. :)

The high def steel from imaterialise hasn't arrived yet, and only the base will be steel. I ordered an extra set of acrylic flaps for the steel base.

IMG_1022.JPG...IMG_1029.JPG...IMG_1031.JPG...IMG_1035.JPG

This is the iMaterialise High Def Steel 1/6th scale. Surprisingly good quality. These are raw pictures, not even any sanding. I just wish they would have let me do the flaps in High Def Steel also.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back