Averaged Symmetrical Trooper Helmet

This is what they should have gone for with R1. Symetrical and cleaned but still has the spirit of the best of the OT. Well done. ;)

Ben

Just like OldKen, I am a purist of the OT trooper (and btw I hate the R1 helmet too..)
All of the existing stormtrooper, video games or for example eFX, I hate the symmetry they made..
But your model is so awesome, this is the symmetry they should have used for R1..
I wish we can see a print soon :D
But man.. it's huge.. I love it (clap from a purist !) :D !!!

wow! thanks so much guys.really appreciate it. i cannot say how happy i am to know that the purists can still see the look and feel or spirit of the OT lids in this.
its a great feeling to know that what i set out to accomplish came to fruition. :D

i added some 3/4 profile views of both versions to the initial post.. :)

What print technology will you be using? SLA, waterjet? Something else?

well, i do believe it will be either a SLA or DLP printer.

This is what they should have gone for with R1. Symetrical and cleaned but still has the spirit of the best of the OT. Well done. ;)

Ben

What's different about the Rogue 1 helmets?

I assume they essentially did the same thing.

They made symmetrical helmets for Rogue 1, but they just don't capture the "feel" of the OT helmets like DynamicMenace's does; they look a little off, like a Don Post helmet or something (although I don't mind the modified armor as much as some other folks seem to).

To me they look like the MR/EFX pcr helmets or an old RTMod. I dunno they just don't feel great but this does. It's not about the details with the R1 stuff but more the forms themselves. I kinda like how they made them look functional but I wish they started with a form like this which captured the feel better. But I'm biased as I've been in love with the Stormtrooper designs for so long. I know every mm of them. :)

Ben

Possibly dumb question from someone not being an expert when it comes to Stormtroopers, but...

What are the differences between this rendition and the R1 troopers you guys are talking about? Could somebody please post some comparsion shots...I don´t get it otherwise :lol

Thx in advance!

This is an original trilogy Stormtrooper helmet update done right. Make note Rogue One people. THIS is how it is done. But, I guess it's too late to make good.

I don't really see it either haha; the rogue 1 helmet looks fine to me too! They all look like stormtroopers ;P But this is a very good interpretation of symmetrical helmet without it looking obviously strange, like some of the licensed versions which do indeed seem off.

I like the design of these as well.

I don't see the concerns with the R1 helmets. I understand the concerns with the R1 armor though.

When something like this is printed, does it have lots of lines that need to be sanded or filled?

thanks so much guys, :)

You should have done episode 3 Vader.

Very nice to see new view. It is a thing of beauty!

I thought about that.

Before EP3 I really wanted to see a symmetrical Vader helmet. But after their shoddy work that all but disappeared :unsure

I guess it just requires the right people ;)

well as for me, i actually liked the design of the ROTS Vader helmet. and here is why,
to me, it looks like a younger version of Vader, one that captures the youth of Vader.
to me, i wouldn't expect all the details and shapes we see in the OT helmets, the ROTS helmet should be different.
its the beginning of what's to come,.
so for me, the new design worked perfectly for the film IMO.

but as far as R1, im thinking that they might take the same symmetrical approach as they are doing with the ST.
after all, i have always thought that from an engineering and advanced technological universe. the helmets should be in fact symmetrical.

so hopefully they took the same approve that we would have with Vader.

courtesy of NHM
TSVader.jpg
Vader-Poster-Helmet.jpg

I like the design of these as well.

I don't see the concerns with the R1 helmets. I understand the concerns with the R1 armor though.

When something like this is printed, does it have lots of lines that need to be sanded or filled?

yeah the R1 helmets are nice, but they do not capture the look and feel of the OT helmets, and that's what i was trying to do. and with the response they have received so far form the purists out there i think we accomplished just that.. :D

the way ill have it printed will not require filling of lines, yes there will be some post print prep. but im looking to have this printed in the smallest microns available. 5 microns.

but then again, that will all depend on price..lol

TSVader.jpg

Vader-Poster-Helmet.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Possibly dumb question from someone not being an expert when it comes to Stormtroopers, but...

What are the differences between this rendition and the R1 troopers you guys are talking about? Could somebody please post some comparsion shots...I don´t get it otherwise :lol

Thx in advance!

I´d like to repeat my question, since I am really curious about the "obvious" differences you guys are praising...sorry for being ignorant :lol

I´d like to repeat my question, since I am really curious about the "obvious" differences you guys are praising...sorry for being ignorant :lol
It's not a matter of details in fact, but of general shape, lines and dimensions. Things very hard to describe to be honest. You really need to have your eye trained to it to see the difference between a helmet true to the originals and one that doesn't.
One of the obvious differences to me between the R1 helmet and the original is the height of the frown (the reversed grey V) and the shape of the eyes. The frown is much more narrow on the R1 which makes it look less menacing and more like a Master Replica, and the eyes... something's off with them.

Here's a comparison between DynamicMenace's and R1:
anh_st11.jpg

You don't see it in this picture but the ears of the R1 helmet are also a lot different. They're almost vertically straight now.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back