Rocketeers

And in Disney fashion it'll be a happy version of the 1950s where black folks like this lady weren't treated badly just walking down the street. Sometimes i think disney wants to erase the past and replace it with dancing animals and the lies that the past was a happy place. I'm surprised they're even going to allow them to mention WW2 or Nazis let alone communists.

The article says this takes place 6 years after the original, which would make it 1942.

Now, I've got no problem with the idea of a female African American stunt pilot with a rocket pack.
Sounds badass - I could totally get behind that. IF it took place in the '60s or later ('60s would be cool, though. Think of the possibilities...)
But in the '40s? Just not possible. AA women didn't have options like those available to them.
If they want to diversify (and who doesn't? I'm all for it.) make her a Latina.
That would actually make sense in the context. Los Angeles has always had a huge Latino population.
And there's possibilities for social commentaries there, too. Ever hear of the "zoot suit riots"?
And who in the world wouldn't want to see Michelle Rodriguez with a rocket pack and tommy-gun kicking nazi tail? :)
Heck, make her Chinese. Even that could work in the context.

This choice is just puzzling, given the care taken in presenting a historically accurate aesthetic in the first film.

Well Disney of 30 years ago was a far different creature than Disney of today. I agree a Latina or Chinese would make more sense historically. As for the Zoot Suit Riots I think Disney needs to stay away from social commentary as it can either get people to watch or not watch pretty easily these days. Sadly this is going to be full of crappy CGI and other stuff to get teenagers into the seats.

Edit: Too bad they can't make the character an alternate reality version of Bessie Coleman, being half Native American would be good for encouraging that part of the population to aim high too.

As an aviationy history-ey kind of guy, I know there were some exceptional people back then...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bessie_Coleman

Well, this makes me a little more receptive to the idea, but, like most (if not all) AAs of the time, she had to go to France to get her pilot's license.
Too bad she never got to establish her flying school.

And, Wes, I'm not implying ham-fisted social commentary, just enough to establish context.
But maybe you're right, maybe it doesn't belong in a Rocketeer film.

I'm all amped up over the possibilities of a Chinese Rocketeer now.
Instead of Howard Hughes, she could meet General Chennault! :D

Why are they calling this a sequel-reboot? The description sounds like a sequel to me, its not a reboot if youre not pretending like the previous story didnt happen. Just sounds like a sequel to me. And just having Cliff "missing" means he cam come back into the story at some point. It is called "Rocketeers" for a reason I would assume...

Last edited:
If they can take a male white character and make them into a female African American , why can't black panther ,cyborg, be white!

I am sorry I am not trying to be a racist dick. But I find these gender/race swaps as nothing but lazy. It's like these ideas get pitched on Fridays at 4:45pm. If you want a diverse character, write/create one. The perfect example in my mind is John Henry/ steel. Yes he was a replacement for superman but he was his own man and had a great story. IMO one of the most underrated heroes in my life time...I blame Shaq : )

If they can take a male white character and make them into a female African American , why can't black panther ,cyborg, be white!

Only in America can a poor black child grow up to be a rich white woman......Oh wait, I was thinking about Michael Jackson.

If its made well and sells tickets Disney has another hit on their hands. If it bombs, they know not to mess with a proven franchise.

Meh, I'll have to see more of the plot

Yeah, I'm not going to shoot it down just yet. I don't really know much about the guys behind it...unlike Ghostbusters where I knew Paul Feig was an idiot who makes terrible movies. I agree though that it would be pretty rare historically speaking for it to be an African American woman. Like, if it was a man, you could say he was one of the Tuskegee Airmen or something. Or if it was a bit later, you could say she was the daughter of a Tuskegee Airman. It's still really early though, so that stuff might change and make more sense.

Well, this makes me a little more receptive to the idea, but, like most (if not all) AAs of the time, she had to go to France to get her pilot's license.
Too bad she never got to establish her flying school.

And, Wes, I'm not implying ham-fisted social commentary, just enough to establish context.
But maybe you're right, maybe it doesn't belong in a Rocketeer film.

I'm all amped up over the possibilities of a Chinese Rocketeer now.
Instead of Howard Hughes, she could meet General Chennault! :D

It's Hollywood, subtle social commentary went out of style in the 70s now it's all ham fisted all the way lol.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back