Opinions on the Justice League Batman Cowl?

Kame

Here's a comparison of the Justice League cowl by Leavesden Studios with the BvS cowl by Ironhead Studios. Apparently the new cowl is urethane as it seems he can't turn his neck again. What do you all think? A step backward or forward?

13669657_1207972075892833_4631999340451487899_n.jpg
13686653_1207972092559498_5457039058269235881_n.jpg

Last edited:
I felt the Batman V Superman costume was the most like the comic book, so I absolutely worship that costume. I feel there was no need to change it AT ALL. The new version is alright, but the first one was better!

After how well the BvS cowl worked, with the head turning and everything, I'm somewhat floored that they would go backwards on that

I wonder if a new design team is due to the fact that DC never credited Ironhead Studios for their work on the movie.

You can see the side profile looks different. More of a gradual slope of the cowl to the ear.
batmanjusticeleaugecowl.png

I think backwards. they should've given credit where credit was do and they would still get the flawless movement of the ironhead cowl.

I wonder if a new design team is due to the fact that DC never credited Ironhead Studios for their work on the movie.

You can see the side profile looks different. More of a gradual slope of the cowl to the ear.
https://fandfcollectibles.files.wordpress.com/2016/07/batmanjusticeleaugecowl.png

That's part of what makes it so wonky. The ridge goes from the ear to the forehead, kind of like the Batman One Million suit. That, the Jack Nicholson eyebrows, and the thin neck that make him look like a pinhead really bother me.

Before BvS I'd have been happy they even tried to get a comic book look with a suit like this, but now I really can't stand this suit. He looks so deflated now.

I actually just posted a gif of that in another thread and you can see how the stuntman struggles to maintain his balance in that stiff suit and cowl. I don't see how they could even pull off a fight scene like they did with the Martha Kent rescue fight.

giphy.gif

I'm going to wait till there are more, in depth photos before passing any kind of remarks on which one is better or if its a step forward or backward.

I feel BvS is akin to The Amazing Spider-Man 2...stick with me here; both movies, regardless of how good they actually were, very much nailed the comic book aesthetic of the costumes, which was a hit with the fans. As such, regardless of how cool or high quality subsequent costumes of either franchise are, they'll always be compared to those two costumes.

I love the BVS cowl too. It's such a raw, simplistic costume that works. This JL cowl seems more streamlined. Probably to go with the fact that Batman is out of retirement now with no stubble. We'll see. I don't care for the pattern they added into his ab section. The thin wraps around the gauntlets are new also which you can see in the JL poster if you look close (I kinda like those).

They never changed a thing with Superman/Reeve's costume from 1-4. They just can't leave things alone can they.

I love the BVS cowl too. It's such a raw, simplistic costume that works. This JL cowl seems more streamlined. Probably to go with the fact that Batman is out of retirement now with no stubble. We'll see. I don't care for the pattern they added into his ab section. The thin wraps around the gauntlets are new also which you can see in the JL poster if you look close (I kinda like those).

They never changed a thing with Superman/Reeve's costume from 1-4. They just can't leave things alone can they.

Damn toy companies. Here's hoping it doesn't show up in the solo Batman film. The more I see it the more I dislike it. The cowl looks atrocious at every angle.

14289894_10155225037614115_552414188028143463_o.jpg

It looks like they added another inch to the top of the dome, the BvS looked great as-is, tampering is just wrong imho. The bvs cowl looked natural, the JL looks too forced for some reason. Batman doesnt need to look flashy, he needs stealth and agility. Leave gadgets to being high tech, his suit+cowl should remain.. he has been doing his thing for 2 decades, why mess with it now?

I respect all the BvS cowl worshiping going on... But it wasnt perfect, mainly because of the thick neck, which made the cowl look ill fitting in certain shots, like that magazine cover with the close up. That photo reminded me of some cheap cowl on eBay worn by someone that kept thinking "God this is unconfortable but think of the pay check".

Any design choice that takes away the head movement is a step backwards in my opinion.

Ironhead cracked the code.. Did something never done before, and then this new studio decides to switch to URETHANE? It just doesn't make sense. They could have easily went for a similar design, and allowed for head movement but they didn't even attempt it. With Ironhead's departure, we must welcome back the "bat turn."

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back