New GNK (Gonk) Droid Build

EdrrakNolat

Long time looker, first time poster.

Firstly I'd like to thank (as many have) spacebob for making up some sketches with measurements and sharing them for free with all of us.

After converting his metric measurements to imperial and rounding up to the next 1/4" I have a great starting point. FYI, if you do it this way you'll need to tweak some of the measurements to make the math work out,

I spent an hour wondering through my local hardware store and picked up a 3/8" 4'x8' piece of plywood for the main body. My gonk will be a home prop but also used when I am attending conventions with my 501st group and I/we will use the inside for storage or maybe a speaker system. 1/2" seemed like it would make it a bit too heavy for me to move around without a cart or hand truck and 3/8" seems like it will be sturdy enough. Worst case I have to add some extra support but I'll deal with that bridge when I get to it. Also got some random greeblies to personalize.

Picked up some large diameter drainage pipe to cover whatever I decide to do for legs. This is still very up in the air. Part of me wants to just simply do 2"x4" and an L bracket but I'm not sure it will hold. I am starting to think PVC pipe might be a better weight saving option.

I'm hoping my fellow RPF gonk builders can help me with something, though. My wood working skills are.... lacking. I have the tools and can do basic things but trying to figure some things out are beyond me. Main example, the feet. I can follow plans to measure out parts and put them together but if anyone has some tips on doing the feet I'd really appreciate it. I'm wondering if I can bend a thin wood like balsa to get the rounded front look but the angled cuts people are doing look good also.

I'll post up some progress pics as I start really getting this going. Looking forward to it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Long time looker, first time poster.

Firstly I'd like to thank (as many have) @spacebob for making up some sketches with measurements and sharing them for free with all of us.

After converting his metric measurements to imperial and rounding up to the next 1/4" I have a great starting point. FYI, if you do it this way you'll need to tweak some of the measurements to make the math work out,

I spent an hour wondering through my local hardware store and picked up a 3/8" 4'x8' piece of plywood for the main body. My gonk will be a home prop but also used when I am attending conventions with my 501st group and I/we will use the inside for storage or maybe a speaker system. 1/2" seemed like it would make it a bit too heavy for me to move around without a cart or hand truck and 3/8" seems like it will be sturdy enough. Worst case I have to add some extra support but I'll deal with that bridge when I get to it. Also got some random greeblies to personalize.

Picked up some large diameter drainage pipe to cover whatever I decide to do for legs. This is still very up in the air. Part of me wants to just simply do 2"x4" and an L bracket but I'm not sure it will hold. I am starting to think PVC pipe might be a better weight saving option.

I'm hoping my fellow RPF gonk builders can help me with something, though. My wood working skills are.... lacking. I have the tools and can do basic things but trying to figure some things out are beyond me. Main example, the feet. I can follow plans to measure out parts and put them together but if anyone has some tips on doing the feet I'd really appreciate it. I'm wondering if I can bend a thin wood like balsa to get the rounded front look but the angled cuts people are doing look good also.

I'll post up some progress pics as I start really getting this going. Looking forward to it!

There are all sorts of bendable plywoods available, I think aeroply is a brand name of one in the US. It is really good, a bit expensive though.

For leg support you could use short sections of scaffolding. I'd recommend some metal weights in the feet.

Here is my photo album for my GONK build. Hope it gives you some ideas.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10100525499417320.1073741856.56901620&type=1&l=6cb471cf5e

13332735_10100542813270220_4288857779987537490_n.jpg

So 3/4" or 1" pipe will be the way I go for sure. I'll have to wait until I get the body done to decide how tall I want for the legs but for the moment I think a pre-done 18" pipe will work great as 4.5" will be swallowed up by the feet anyway.

If you're still looking for some feet tips, I can give you some advice.
I made them by cutting ply pieces and screwed it all together. Though you must trim some parts (like the angled nib) and it comes together great. Maybe it will be a bit crooked from the beginning, but once you put it all together it will be OK.
I made mine hollow and filled them with stones.
Image1469901101.322806.jpg
Image1469901135.951023.jpg
Hope it helps! :)

Thanks for the tip. One thing I do have to remember as I'm doing this is the gnk is supposed to travel to cons so I doubt stones in the feet will happen. Maybe on my next home build.

Weather cleared up a bit so was able to get more cutting done. My conversion to imperial measurements has so far been matching with no troubles when I hold pieces against each other.
IMG_1821.JPG

Slow progress but the weather in Boston hasn't been the best and for the next few days the heat index is over 100.

But I'm at least getting started on box assembly.
IMG_1865.JPG

Looking good, you are well into it now.
One day there will be spacebob gonks living everywhere :)
Come on random rpf members, what's stopping you.
So glad these are getting made.

This is great! I love gonks...especially "Boba Gonk." Now, somebody needs to sell a "foot kit" for this...I can fab pretty much everything for this except for the feet. Although I have seen some pretty interesting alternatives to the "gonk hooves", most notably a pair of plastic electrical panel boxes that kind of look like claws.

The more that I think about it, a whole "Gonk-in-a-Box" kit would be a great way to get people started into an easy droid build. Who wants to partner up, lol???

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back