Aliens USCM dropship pilot VP70 holster, Ferro-type

Chopperinator

Hey, I'm not entirely sure if this belongs in the replica prop forum or the replica costume forum, so please feel free to move the topic as required.

Basically, I'm looking to replicate CPL Ferro's Aliens USCM dropship pilot VP70 pistol setup. You see an image of her holster for a millisecond right before she gets greased by the Xenomorph stowaway.

ALIENS-HKVP70-2_zps1o3mvfsu.jpg

It appears entirely different from the holster that Spunkmeyer uses, since it seems like it's missing the cross stitching:

Spunkholster002_zpszetbynyw.jpg

It looks like Ferro's uses heavy nylon and is hooked onto her flak jacket. Any ideas on what sort of holster she's using? Surplus or custom fabricated?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

I dunno. Got a couple of retouched screencaps for ya, though.

Attachments

• shot0003.jpg
    shot0003.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 548
  • shot0004.jpg
    shot0004.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 589
AFAIK Ferro's holster is the same as the others, with the flap turned over and tucked in, and the pistol reversed so she could pull the pistol left handed (as she was sitting on the starboard side of the cockpit). You can see the reverse of the 'quilted' pattern in the pictures above. The holsters were all based on a 1980's Assault Systems holster, which was used as a pattern and slightly adjusted for a better fit to the VP-70,which is probably why Ferro's LH set up looks a bit odd.

Last edited:
I am going to suggest that given the sub $20M budget of this film, many things like a holster seen briefly would have been a found item and maybe modded to suit the costume.

Vast majority of Aliens props and equipment was custom fabricated or redressed 'found' parts - BDU's, armour, PR slings etc were all custom made - this includes the holster as part of the grenade webbing and pouches. Most of the 'found' parts like the 'belt tool' (the 'pop' gun) were modified in some way (and in some cases used in multiple ways, the pop gun used for the belt tool is also the base for the Smart Gun 'battery').

The screen used holsters were examined a while ago by an AL member, he compared it to the AS holster and while its obviously used as a reference pattern, they are custom fitted to the VP-70 ( the IMFDB has a great image of a SU holster)

Thanks everyone for the input! Looks like my options are either picking up the spatcave holster, or trying to track down and mod an old Assault Systems holster. All depends on what I can find in the wild.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back