Quantum Mechanix - Millennium Falcon

The model looks like its based on the 32" model. If they follow the Finemolds version, I hope they don't follow also the mistake on the front mandibles ( They look parallel to me ) .

In that pic you can see the long grille covering the engine nozzles,....that was a FineMolds design,....as are the curved parts on the inside of the flaps

The docking tube has panels that run from front to back in straight lines,....the 32" has panels which would have patterns horizontal to these lines,....this is particular to the FM,....their solution for ease of casting

The dish looks too small,...jaw looks too wide & mandibles look parallel from this angle

FM.jpg

J

I want to like this thing, I really do. But I just cannot accept that stupid offset forward hold layout. I hate it. It's so obviously not what the setbuilders were intending in 1976.

The SW fanbase has no problem with enlarging the whole exterior to 1.5x the filmed size in the name of "making the Falcon fit". But people cannot handle the idea of subtle tweaking on the interior room & hallway dimensions just to keep the layout plausible. I don't get it.

The thing that strikes me is the location of the sleeping quarters. It just happens to be at the thinnest part of the ship so I'm wondering if they have to crawl to get to the sleeping area. And where are the escape pods or at least where would they be if they weren't jettisoned?

Though what always bothers me about this kind of thing, is that the guts on the inside never seem to bear any relationship with the greeblies on the outside. Are we to assume that all that crap really is just skin deep? I like to think that all those bits and bobs on the outside are attached to machinery on the inside, too.

This.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, it should be nearly all engine under the "engine" area, not a spacious room.

And this.

A very impressive piece of work, especially since the interior does not fit into the exterior as shown on screen.

Several things from the movies still missing- the unseen escape pods should still have a location (personally I figured the would be in the back where the battery hatch was on the Ertl/MPC kit) and the vertical lift Lando uses to reach Luke through the dorsal hatch.

My biggest issue though is, as mentioned upthread, is that there is not enough hardware inside. From the outside the falcon looks stuffed full of high performance equipment to the point things are pushed out through the gaps in the hull. Aside from a few areas, you would think the interior would be filled as well, to the point of having to crawl around some things to get around.

I would still buy one of these if I could afford one, but I would need to rework the rear bay/engine room and a few other things before I could be happy with it.

Here's the Haynes manual plan,...the escape pods are behind the cargo doors in the rear hold

The lift that Lando used is on the floor in the portside docking walkway:

Falcon%20plan_zpsrc3z3ecv.jpg

J

This has to be a Fine Molds model as the base

Look at the pipes from the upper right well, they have a gap in the pipes right were the fine molds pipe parts would be glued together (i.e. the pipe was molded onto the hole, then a L shaped section connected to it from inside the well in pretty much the same spot
dxqulwwruscxl9ty6r3t.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

1/80 scale. Impressive with all the interior details.

1/80 scale interior would be about right for the Fine Molds 1/72 falcon

Look at the pipes from the upper right well, they have a gap in the pipes right were the fine molds pipe parts would be glued together (i.e. the pipe was molded onto the hole, then a L shaped section connected to it from inside the well in pretty much the same spot
View attachment 646941

- - - Updated - - -

Thats what I said on page 1

J

Thats what I said on page 1

J

I saw where you mentioned it looked like the FM 1/72 one in a few areas, but didn't see mention of that particular one so I just added it to help support your claim. (I had meant to quote you but forgot when I was looking for the image URL)

That tell that stuck out for me because I hated having to fill that gap in the pipes and had such a hard time doing so
1hUThUH.png

added picture

Last edited:

View attachment 646941

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot about that. The front mandibles and underscaled is the reason I lost the mood to continue my Finemolds Falcon.

The hull curvature also seems flat/straight like the FM kit, not to mention the mandibles. Kinda looks like a FM MF kit (which I already have) with just some more details that I would never want to show anyway, even if they weren't so dubious. I'm looking for an official announcement that they never once even looked at a FM kit--they just based it all on this neat-o Revell Master Series kit. Excitement level gone.

The bunk over the acceleration couch isn't there either. I know that I'm nit picking here but it just doesn't look right to me.

Not to kick a dead horse in the nards, but, really, who is this for? If it's for the serious modeler--John Q. RPFmember--too many of us will see this (as it appears now) as an option to the FM/Revell Master Series, the interior won't matter to most of us. It then comes down to price. If one didn't really mind the shape issues of the FM MF, then this better be cheaper, and I can't think it would be. Then, if it's for the average fan who just think it might be cool to have this as a curiosity and/or conversation piece--how many of those would be willing the pay the price ($500+, just a guess)? To me, this a solution in search of a problem.

I don't think this is a solution in search of a problem Dedalus5550. It's simply a solution in search of a profit. It's for the "I know it's not accurate, but it has a detailed interior" or it's for the " But it has a detailed interior":behave. Either way, it has its function in the world of "toys/collectibles" and tries to fill an unexplored slot/niche.
It would be nice if it was accurate (exterior/interior)...but, as other people have mentioned, that would be more expensive in the end.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back