Hopli's Soldier 76 Cosplay. - last update 27/08 - Gamescom pictures!!! - PIC heavy!

Hoplitespear

Sr Member
About my jacket.... my inbox is pouring over with questions to where I obtained it.
So here it is:
if you google 'Soldier 76 leather jacket' you will find it super fast! You can't miss it!

Please do not reply or PM me anymore just to ask where I got my jacket!! This should be enough info.

Rifle done! - page 2.
Mask done! - page 3.
Test fit! - page 3.
Finished pictures & gamescom video - page 4.

Hi guys and girls,

I'm back with a new cosplay. This time I am going to tackle Soldier 76's outfit and weapon from Blizzard's Overwatch.
Why Soldier 76, well first of all its one of my favorite Hero's in the game, and its a total different approach then my last two cosplay's.

My first Iron Man M42 was a full armor. I wore it ones in an amusement park. Though being fun, full armor is horrible to walk around in, no visibility and hardly any mobility. I loved that one, learned allot about EVA foam and cosplaying but full armor... not again.

My second was Gorden Freeman's HEV suit from HL2. This foam build was allot cleaner and better than my first, paint job was 200x better. Also I'm crazy about half life. The suit also added much more mobility. Especially since it doesn't have a helm, and none of the joints (elbows and knees etc... ) are armored. Loved this build wore it to gamescom(2015) Had allot of fun!

So now its time for my third, and even less armor. But a huge detailed prop and visor. Planning on better detail and paint (atleast I'm going to try). I'm going to pass out as much info as I can on how I come about making everything.

Ok so lets get started.

The initial start was getting the jacket. apart from the weapon and visor the jacket stands out the most. As soon as I saw it I wanted to have one. Not just for cosplay but for actual wear.
So I searched around, found a company in the UK that makes custom jackets (via a DeviantArt post). Ordered it.
IT IS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!! High detail, real leather and fits me like a glove since its made for my measurements.
(gif)

11z56Er.gif

High res front and back: Front Back

So this jacket got me started.

Next up the pulse rifle. Learning every day from browsing forums going to the local cosplay shop, watching Volpin's blog I learned a good prop starts with blueprints.
I did not know anything about Illustrator so I searched some basic tutorials, followed them for a few hours and started working.

I ended up with this: a side and front view. For my purpose it was enough. I want it to be detailed and clean but not to the mm exact.

t08BVfP.png

For scale I did quite some work. The OW (overwatch) wiki tells us S76 (Soldier 76) is 1m85 tall. Using that and allot of reference from ingame the gun measures about 104 cm (give or take a few). Not actual feeling the size on a screen i made a cardboard mockup to see how it looks.

For my taste it was a bit to large, although I'm exactly S76's size: 1m85. I took it down 12 cm to 92. Feeling more comfortable with the new size I started planning the build.
My strategy is going to be a wooden MDF core of 0,6 cm. And then layers of foam working out the detail with wood filler, dremel and sander. A 32mm standard PVC pipe for the central barrel.

I'll let pictures explain the process so far:

Setting up. (I didn't had time yet to print the blueprint so I measured in illustrator and redrawn the basic lines on the wood, learning about the shape in the process. )
z78zmLE.jpg

Drawn the core shape (not same as the actual rifle shape, sights are not included, no core in the rocket barrel. And the tip's are different.
MBU9Bbm.jpg

Cut out the shape. Here a problem occurred. I don't have a laser cutter so I did this with a jigsaw. A jigsaw apparently is not as precise and its not that I get to practice with it every day, so some of my lines where not straight. But I had a fix for this later.
ZR9p0ke.jpg

Made a new paper stencil to cut out the foam layers. Started with the main grip part. Barrel fins are coming later. The plan is to build part by part starting out with the dark gray grip.
iGL6nAZ.jpg

Applied first(2mm) and second layers(5mm) on both sides. And here you see my solution to the crooked MDF. I filled up the gaps with wood filler. Sanding is still needed, and I'll do that after all layers are applied. But it works like a charm, it sticks to the foam and MFD like super glue, its easy to work with and sands really well.
I glued the foam on itself and on the MDF with contact cement/glue.
Z8FdgsH.jpg

Here you see the grip holes, also filled in with wood filler. You can also see the 5 layers (four foam and core MDF)
x4A3Rz8.jpg

NXlJ1ig.jpg

Tomorrow I have the morning off (doing late shift) and then I will add the last layer to complete the thickness for the grip part. This layer will have some different cuts to start the beveling that is EVERYWHERE on this rifle.

This is it for now, I also have 6 peps of the visor, but all have the wrong shape/size. I acquired a new pep from one of the RPF members yesterday, a more basic one, and also shorter, fitting a human more. I'll print that one out asap and glue it together to see if it solves the problem of the other six.

I hope you like it so far, I'll update as much as possible.

See ya! -Hopli- (my apologies for any obvious spelling/grammar mistakes)

Last edited:
Re: Hopli's Soldier 76 Cosplay.

Looking excellent so far! Mind if I ask which company made your jacket, and roughly how much it cost you?

Looking excellent so far! Mind if I ask which company made your jacket, and roughly how much it cost you?

Thx, PM send about the jacket.

So another update, though small still an update!

I don't have that much time today so I decided to see if I could get the rings around the barrel done.

Started by making a paper template, beveling with dremel and then gluing on the barrel with contact glue.

fcFGuDD.jpg

stmQQd8.jpg

5fKlsjB.jpg

bnKPvro.jpg

See ya soon with more updates!

-Hopli-

Looks great, man. I'm also interested in where you sourced the jacket. Would you be willing to share your blueprint file too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey man, I'm just starting to get into the RPF Game and your build looks awesome! I would be interested to know about the Jacket, as I live in the UK and am interested in the company and pricing.

Thanks JumpinJax

That jacket is awesome!!
And the rifle looks fit with your proportion, gotta wait for the updates.

Thx! its 12cm shorter than the picture with the cardboard mockup though.

Hey man, I'm just starting to get into the RPF Game and your build looks awesome! I would be interested to know about the Jacket, as I live in the UK and am interested in the company and pricing.

Thanks JumpinJax

Ty, PM send with info.

Ok so small update.

Last thickness layer added to the rifle, filled up the gaps to create the bezels. started sanding the front grip into a point. Added the finger dents on the grip etc... It still doesn't look like much but I'm really happy with it so far.

qPVsEvZ.jpg

DPZqWe7.jpg

seKBJvw.jpg

JxZ81H1.jpg

After this is done i will start adding foam, the padding on the bottom and side will give it more depth and bring out the part more.

Cya soon

-Hopli-

Re: Hopli's Soldier 76 Cosplay. Updates 6/8

Hey guys,

Sorry it has been so long. Work, children, bad weather... But finally i found some time today. And probably all day tomorrow aswell :D.

Today i finished the grip part of the pulse rifle, took ALLOT of sanding but I am so happy with the result. And a few minutes ago I finished the nerve wrecking task of making the beveled cuts from the upper part. Cutting, glueing -.-

2TnqoJn.jpg

XB095al.jpg

tC4HHEU.jpg

MbSasDQ.jpg

rqyw3S9.jpg

Z42jT6q.jpg

xTnsfMu.jpg

Cya tomorrow for more!

-Hopli

Re: Hopli's Soldier 76 Cosplay. Updates 6/aug

Updatessssssssssss!!!

Ok not quite the day after the last post. But i had to get a bit more done to make an update.

Some explenation with the pictures this time.

I made the rocket barrel. I used a tennis ball holder, cut out the bottom creating the perfect bevel for the barrel tip. Then i carefully measured out the lines and pattern of the panels on the barrel itself. And glued them on.

tydJhAB.jpg

TP1shD0.jpg

On the game model you can see a rocket tip inside the rocket barrel surrounded by blue light. So to get the same effect i found a way to mount a fake rocket tip (read: sliced plastic easter egg) and also have a place to add leds later.

The barrel slides on and show's the rocket tip at the correct position whilst leaving room for light to shine on the sides.

dSMQIIF.jpg

QIYFOCL.jpg

slkMnNT.jpg

After that i started working on the main four panels that construct the barrel. I was really scared to cut the bevels / angled sides. Since its a long cut and i had to get it 4x the same. Bit the bullet and it came out really good.

41uLXq9.jpg

tA9bByc.jpg

They are not glued on yet, i need to sand them flush on the top/bottom first. And correct the tips a bit.

Next up the blue slider that holds the four 'tiny sliders' thingies. And butt plates. After that everything around the middle and as a finisher the sights/top reload assembly.

Cya next time!

Hopli

Hopli's Soldier 76 Cosplay. Updates 10/aug

Hnnnnnnnnnnnggggg

Those bevels dude. Very nice.

Re: Hopli's Soldier 76 Cosplay. Updates 10/aug

Hnnnnnnnnnnnggggg

Those bevels dude. Very nice.

Thx! Glued them together last night. Going to start standing them smooth today.

I have an order of magnets and leds on the way. While waiting for those the next part is going to be the blue sliders that hold the four small sliders in rails. Those four will be fitted with lights as well as the rocket barrel and the start of the main barrel.

-Hopli

Re: Hopli's Soldier 76 Cosplay. Updates 10/aug

Good evening!

Updates!!!

First up, front sight! These sights aren't actually used but they are on the rifle so I made them.

I just made the front one for now, its mirrored to the bottom of the barrel assembly and used to hold up the rocket barrel. I had to draw out the front view of the angles on the barrel to know exactly how to cut my foam.

Used the dremel to give it light bevels and the round insert.

t3Loth1.jpg

VBWeWxU.jpg

Next the shoulder 'butt' and bottom 'butt' on the stock.

(blue parts on my blueprint)

dKP8iXY.png

These gave me a head-ache from the moment I saw them. In hindseight I should of included them in the silhouette when I started building up thickness but I took the more detailed and hard route -.-'

First I copied the side view on paper from my blueprint (btw, I'm so happy i made one its helping me out ALLOT in these fases)

afRKDBm.jpg

uYkwamZ.jpg

And then the back one. Now this... this thing.... was one of the most hard 3D objects I had to construct out of foam so far. The angles are so annoying. The back has different heights but the side bevel is the same angle etc...

Again copy from the blueprint first.

MEOv23P.jpg

Building up the sides. I had to make different bevels to fit the actual grip (you'll see what i mean later). The bevels where hand cut and a pain in the ***. Had to remake one side twice.

JG3YtSV.jpg

This is the back part (the part that you would put against your shoulder when firing) It has different heights but the bevel is the same angle on the sides. So first i made the center part.

OLsdcgc.jpg

Glued it on the back.

c5vJJKJ.jpg

Continued it on top.

tEUw3cK.jpg

It slides perfectly on. I was really pleased with my measuring and way of handling this.

cpufNgh.jpg

skwlHfv.jpg

Glued it in place. Added foam here and there so it would need less wood filler.

xLhoCtW.jpg

And then, hoping all my measuring and 'tactics' worked out. I added would filler between the back part and the sides creating that angled bevel. And it worked. It worked like a charm. This is the first passing with wood filler. Needs more passing's and sanding but you get the idea.

B70QRfN.jpg

8zlzker.jpg

And here some pictures with both parts added. The grip part is finished!

GEj5rdo.jpg

etlpjqv.jpg

More updates soon!

-Hopli

EDIT:

Did a quick test fit. Uploaded in a higher res.

4nwKwzU.jpg

VjgoD21.jpg

y8xsGBW.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Hopli's Soldier 76 Cosplay. - Updates 14/aug - PIC heavy!

Awesome thread! I'm also working on my Soldier76 cosplay!!! This is what I've done so far, I'm planing on doing the details of the gun in eva foam, and I also bought the Jacket but from amazon, there's gonna be an event of cosplay and gaming on sept. 3 and I set that as a due day.
Btw I subscribed to this so keep up the good work!
20160812_144541.jpgFB_IMG_1471363171015.jpg

Looking great so far Hops! can't wait for more! Subbed!

Awesome thread! I'm also working on my Soldier76 cosplay!!! This is what I've done so far, I'm planing on doing the details of the gun in eva foam, and I also bought the Jacket but from amazon, there's gonna be an event of cosplay and gaming on sept. 3 and I set that as a due day.
Btw I subscribed to this so keep up the good work!
View attachment 655352View attachment 655353

Thx! Your visor/mask looks really nice. Is that foam? If so, on what did you base your patterns? Looks great man!

Looking great so far Hops! can't wait for more! Subbed!

Thank you MWiggs!

Updates!:

Sorry for being a bit later with updates. I have a summer cold, meaning i cough and sneeze constantly making me soooo tired after work. So I went to bed early most of the week.

But hey I'm a bit better and I really wanted the last big pieces to be finished. So it was time to tackle the blue covers on the side of the whole barrel.

rT0gU2a.png

These things are also the last things giving me troubles with the shape. If you look close you can see one side has a slight curve. And the other side has two bevels, one holding a rail for the small thingies on the side.

The curve is annoying. Although this foam sands well. Getting a nice curve on that length starting at the right distance on the plane is hard. Working with wood filler or even bondo would bring more weight to the front and its already front heavy the way it is.

Another reason for me to go slow is the fact that i stare and think allot about the next part. I go over multiple things in my head on how to tackle it. I don't have that many experience yet in props and this is being a huge learning process. It was only yesterday i came up with the following method:

I started with cutting the main shape out of 10mm foam. Adding a 5mm foam piece to the NON curved side.

ZUO25zF.jpg

After this i cut around 11 sloped pieces out of 5mm adding lenght to the previous part.

kRBRK5y.jpg

vkdsIhB.jpg

On top of this i glued a 2mm foam piece. Not only does it give me the correct width for the overal part it also bends well giving me the slight curve i need. You can see slight dipples (is this a word?) between the sloped pieces, but i'm sure plasti dip and paint will blend those out.

XKdrVff.jpg

Multiply by 4 and cutting the bevels for the rail and front. Also a picture of the profile /side so you can see the curve i wanted to get.

e2GSs7h.jpg

9j9iLZ7.jpg

And a quick test fit on the rifle. (higher res img)

ASuoXjP.jpg

vWYWCJb.jpg

hvZ1V78.jpg

3flTqrW.jpg

So tomorrow i'll add the details. (three circular bevels top and bottom , a fake rivit hole. And the long rails.) For the rails i think i'll make a jig for my dremel so i can make them straight and even.

Thats it for now :D sorry for the slow progress, we are getting close!

-Hopli-

Last edited:

The mask was about 90% free hand by me, the other 10% was a pep file I found on papercraftsquare here is the link to it... I dont know the author of it tho, it doesnt say who made it, but I found its a good file http://www.papercraftsquare.com/overwatch-life-size-soldier-76-mask-free-papercraft-download.html

Looks really really good that freehand build. I tried some peps but most are a b**** to scale correctly and look waay to huge on my face. So I'll have to go freehand aswell.

But first the pulse rifle :p. I'll have new updates soon, had a bit of trouble with the battery for the leds.

-Hopli

Re: Hopli's Soldier 76 Cosplay. - Updates 18/aug - PIC heavy!

Hey guys,

Small inbetween tiny update.

Added lights to the barrel part, carved out a big chunk to hide the batteries (8x AA). Added the side sliders with velcro to give a small gap and make them removable for paint later. Also finished the details on those parts (rail , circles and small dent)

a9Luo3N.jpg

vKIZiOb.jpg

Cya soon for more

-Hopli

Re: Hopli's Soldier 76 Cosplay. - Updates 24/aug - PIC heavy!

Huge update!!!!!!!!!!!! Get hyped XD

So first off it was time to complete the silhouette. So finishing the sight part which also has to be functional as a battery cover (so it has to come off ) and house two LED's for the ammo counter whilst looking correct.

The two leds will receive a cover with either a vinyl sticker or something else to represent the ammo counter.
Ih4x1rl.jpg

Side view, added fake bolts to look the part.
76kY5gZ.jpg

Bottom view: two led's whiring, and four cube magnets embedded with super glue to stay put.
k3hJElw.jpg

After that the front part of the sight. This is glued on. It was tricky to make, supported by a rear clamp on the barrel, extends to the back with the two weird shapes on either side.

The gap between front and rear sight is for the side cover, on of the last parts i have to make.
ahL7jLb.jpg

After that I finally secured the rocket barrel, and added the two leds inside to give a light glow around the rocket. I forgot to make a picture of the inside, its just two LED's. For the 'fake rocket' i have a picture in a previous post showing how that works. The only difference is i gave it a black primer.

The two red tubes connect the wires and will be coverd with the detail on the clamp.
PuYs2Wt.jpg

And then it was onto the tiny sliders that go front to back whenever you shoot. They also hold a blue led. These... where a pain to make. They are a bit rough around the edges but nothing paint and weathering can't fix. Securing them to the side is a bit akward aswell but after some cable management later on it should be fine. I really like how these came out in the end.

Led in between the sides. Making these hollow was the most annoying thing. A single piece of thick foam would have been easier.
A8JoKXd.jpg

Made two, i need more wire for the other side.
2zdjwjU.jpg

And to finish some shots with all the parts i have so far put together in a higher resolution. :D

rrcLllX.jpg

PSUCByS.jpg

67IY1kn.jpg

veq73SD.jpg

IFyxRFb.jpg

Until the next one!

-Hopli

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back