My ANH Death Star Detention Center Security Camera (DCSCam) Build

enaswede

Sr Member
Gone but not forgotten.
I have completed my ANH Death Star Detention Center Security Camera (DCSCam) Build. it is not 100% screen accurate but the best I could do! :)
a big thanks goes out to "Korbanth" for helping me acquire the three color buttons.
00.jpg02.jpg03.jpg04.jpg05.jpg06.jpg08.jpg15.jpg12.jpg16.jpg24.jpg22.jpg20.jpg25.jpga.jpgb.jpg

Last edited:
That looks fantastic, well done. Did you buy the paint for the cameras off the shelve or did you get it mixed? I'm thinking of putting LED panels in mine so they can also be used as lights.

That looks fantastic, well done. Did you buy the paint for the cameras off the shelve or did you get it mixed? I'm thinking of putting LED panels in mine so they can also be used as lights.

Thanks! I had the paint color matched at the paint store. I have an entire can left that I will never use... in fact if you need paint I will mail the remaining can to you if you pay for shipping... but that might be more expensive than if you just had it matched yourself locally. Anyway... I would like to see photos of yours when you are done!

Nice work, thanks for posting!

I like your foam backing as a solution for flat mounting the curved back of the viewers. I sanded off (Dremel) the most protruding part on the back of my viewers, but the overall curve is still there. Using some foam might be a good fix, I think that I'll try a variation of this.

Nice work on the antennas, too. And thanks for the tip on lights. Hoping that Philip's will eventually be available, but for now I am using reflectors w/doorstop covers a la Sofaking01.

Cheers!

Thanks looking great buddy!

I am having my slide viewers stored away for years, just waiting for the lights to become available before I finally proceed with the build.
Was thinking about a solution to deal with the viewers curved back and the foam seems to be a good idea.

Had a few cans of paint color matched as well, BUT the spray-paint seems to react with the viewers plastic, dulling it! Did you have such a problem as well?

Wow awesome job, I'm working on this prop as well but so far I've only found 3 viewers, so still need another 3 and the lights of course....

Had a few cans of paint color matched as well, BUT the spray-paint seems to react with the viewers plastic, dulling it! Did you have such a problem as well?

Markus, have you tried wet sanding the paint? I would apply thick coats of paint , wet sand it then apply T-cut (fine scratch remover).

That's how I plan to do mine, once done they shouldn't even look painted but rather like plastic.

Wow awesome job, I'm working on this prop as well but so far I've only found 3 viewers, so still need another 3 and the lights of course....

Markus, have you tried wet sanding the paint? I would apply thick coats of paint , wet sand it then apply T-cut (fine scratch remover).

That's how I plan to do mine, once done they shouldn't even look painted but rather like plastic.

I have a spare damaged viewer...will test it :thumbsup

So the lighter blue would be accurate!?
Have to check which one I sent in for color matching...

In the pic of three of them, the mono color one is on the right side.

Another difference is the bezel around the lens is white on that one. On the two-tones ones I have, the bezels have a slight blue tint.

FYI that one we painted is a casting, as we have gone to the trouble to mold and cast them, including the lenses so we can make full sets of them for the displays.

Was thinking about a solution to deal with the viewers curved back and the foam seems to be a good idea.

I actually used cork coasters... they worked good because the were giving yet more sturdy than foam and easy to paint. :)

One of my six viewers was the same color on top and bottom... but yes, the paint I used did dull the painted sections so I just clear coated the entire viewer to make it match as best I could all over. :)

This is wonderful. I was surprised the first time I saw pics of the views at how big they were. In the movie I always assumed they were much smaller.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back