Y Wing based on the Dave G open source project

Found the Red part while I was looking for something else. It was a turret from a battleship. Cant remember which kit but Im sure I van find it again. Probably airfix

Wow Julien! Thanks. I love when things like that happen. It definitely looks like a ship part.

The yellow part looks familiar to me too. Like a large part from a large kit. Almost like a jack part of a tank.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok. Two down...

Attachments

• Ladd-Y-unique-details-right-side.jpg
    Ladd-Y-unique-details-right-side.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 266
Julien: I've noticed there's also a 1/400 Scharnhorst by Airfix. Are you referring to 1/600 or 1/400? Thanks in advance.

Thanks. It's time to sell off the 1/400 that just arrived then...:)

None of it looked like the piece. What was most like it was too big.

Don't think Airfix ever produced a 1/400 naval ship. 1/400 is the scale used by Heller for their naval ships, 1/600 is the scale used by Airfix. At some points Airfix reboxed Heller kits and Heller reboxed Airfix kits. What you got is actually a Heller Scharnhorst, not Airfix :(

Scott, any update on what you figured out for the digital neck files? I'm just now starting to dive into building mine and noticed that it is off also. Definitely not enough surface area on top and the droid socket is over-sized as you already stated.

Just a note on the droid socket... it was intended that an overlay of styrene be added with a smaller more fitting hole for the droid. When you look at some of the reference photos you can see that there is a thin sheet and the underneath it's more open. I think in the original castings it was just a rectangular recess and the overlay was added. It's one of the things I hope to add to my 3D model in time. Scott also gave me some notes on updates to the neck geometry. Again, I hope to get to revising the files in time, but I'm swamped with the fuselage castings at the moment.

I hope that everyone keeps in mind that the files are of a work-in-progress design (not a finished model) and are sure to get revised by me (and hopefully others) as we start putting models together and discover what works and what doesn't.

Also, would you be willing to share where these 2 kit parts circled in your image are from? Thanks in advance.
IMG_2242.JPG

Thanks Ron! They really cut some of those pieces up didn't they? That is a testament to those who have identified pieces on this thing that are only a portion of the whole individual piece.

Here are the v3 parts. I've adjusted measurements about 1-2mm for each part. All parts are just put in place - not cemented yet.

I raised the front neck piece a couple of mm so the m577 piece sits at a good height against the droid socket.

The droid socket was widened a little so the jack piece and m577 pieces could sit beside the droid. You'll notice that the shell welder hexagonal piece barely fits. It's also placed kind of sloppily by me. The parts that sit behind the droid socket are sitting on a solid rectangular 3d printed bar. I added that because I didn't know how to manipulate the files well enough, but I could make an extra, solid piece they could sit on.

Overall, the top area works now. Not so with the bottom piece.

The bottom piece I widened so it would match up with the widened droid socket piece. So now it's too wide for the m577 vent and rectangular sealab parts. I had to also widen the slot where it sits on the aluminum armature, also because I couldn't manipulate the exterior surfaces separately.

The morgan part is also too wide for that part. It needs a channel to sit in, and that quad/25 pounder part at the sides of the morgan piece still won't fit well.

So that's the story: upper areas are ok, while widening the bottom piece didn't work out so well. It was pretty spot on in the first place. So there's a mismatch, potentially, between the upper and lower pieces. I don't know how that would be fixed as of now.

I also couldn't work on the wedge pieces that go on the bottom because they contain diagonal surfaces that I don't know how to manipulate in rhino. Dave can probably figure out all of this quicker. It's probably worth waiting for his mods.

Attachments

• IMG_2327.JPG
    IMG_2327.JPG
    557 KB · Views: 481
  • IMG_2326.JPG
    IMG_2326.JPG
    631.7 KB · Views: 456
  • IMG_2325.JPG
    IMG_2325.JPG
    852.5 KB · Views: 451
  • IMG_2324.JPG
    IMG_2324.JPG
    557 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_2323.JPG
    IMG_2323.JPG
    599 KB · Views: 479
I think the bottom piece has a taper as opposed to the top and the morgan should sit flat rather than the drop on the back half of where it sits, this would give more room for the 25pdr, but the whole neck needs to be longer too. Modifying it would probably screw with the armature but I'm sure it would be easy enough to add to it.

Thanks for the update Scott. So did you have to lower the very rear of the the top of the neck where the orange/tube looking pieces (sorry don't know the part) meet up with the main fuselage? The reason being, I notice the top of the rear of the neck sits flush with the main fuselage on Dave's design and I'm pretty sure that crevice with the orange part should sit below the main fuselage.

Looking at the underside of the neck, I think the width for the morgan piece may be correct or very very close. The morgan piece seems to be trimmed actually. Those flat edges it has on the long sides are not present if you look at the map of the underside neck. Check this image below and notice how the circles on the morgan piece are trimmed flat on one side.

morgan_size.png

I agree that the lowered middle half of the neck needs to be raised flat with the half closer to the McDonnell phantom piece. And a raised section needs to be made for the matilda and round sealab piece. This can be seen here:

raised section.png

I'm thinking of getting a Rhino license since it's not too expensive while I'm still a college student but I don't have much time these days to learn it.

Edit: Oh and which sealab piece is that you're using near the R2 strip? I can't seem to tell from looking at a scan as to which piece it is. Have you modified some edges to it? Thanks for printing out that section and testing it out to see what works and what doesn't. Great work Scott!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back