Rogue One: Diego Luna/Cassian Andor Blaster

Trilan

Rouge One AR.jpg
It looks like Rogue one is making their guns from the parts of real guns - and I think it's really cool they are going back to that. Part of this gun looks like it was made from the lower of an AR15. Does it look like that to anyone else?

I discovered these when I was looking into doing a replica of Will Smith's rifle from "I Am Legend".

You can buy almost finished AR lower receivers without a background check and over the internet without any issues at all - even ship to California or New York City. Since they are not finished they are considered just a block of aluminum and not a gun. But from the outside they look (and actually are) very realistic and they are made from aluminum - and they are cheap! Just Google 80% Lower Receiver. The uppers are even easier to buy and can be bought by anyone. You can also buy the parts that hold the magazine in, etc. online too.

RO lower1.jpg

You can see here that there is no elevated rail. In the holster pic. It looks like the rail has been machined off.

SWR1_416.jpg

Re 80% lowers, be aware it becomes a firearm if you drill holes for fire control group components and machine out the fire control group pocket (which you will need to do if you want a trigger).

Airsoft receivers are a better bet if owning a functional AR15 lower is a problem. (if it's not then they've never been cheaper!)

Last edited:
Any cheap ar15 airsoft would work for this. It is a AR15 upper and lower receiver set. The lower has a weird slide on stock end cap in place of the receiver extension. Kind of looks like the Silver Shadow Gilboa but the end cap slider looks a bit different. Just need to figure out how to do the flash hider .

I used a metal G&P receiver set for my Endor rifle. I'm sure there are metal versions for other variants as well. It would be a lot easier than a real set.

View attachment 644497
It looks like Rogue one is making their guns from the parts of real guns - and I think it's really cool they are going back to that. Part of this gun looks like it was made from the lower of an AR15. Does it look like that to anyone else?

Without a doubt, it's base is an upper and lower AR receiver with an A2 pistol grip. The smooth top is explained by having a flat top upper and filling in the gaps of the machined picatinny rail. Looks like a standard charging handle and 5 round magazine as well. Not sure what they're using to plug the receiver extension hole though, if it's a specific piece.

Definitely an M16, set to semi lol.

I don't think the flat top rail was filed down, I think it was completely removed and replaced with a fabricated piece.

If it's an M16 gbb, its definitely got a custom chopped 20rd mag with a fabricated base plate hiding the fill hole.

Also, the mag catch on the right side looks pushed out, almost like there's something in there that shouldn't be.

In the hands up pictures and holster pick it appears that there is a slight flare at the top of the receiver. I believe that the rail has been machined down to just past the bottom of the slots.

That would also match the geometry we see with the top of the receiver and the charging handle as well as being much easier than completely machining off the rail and replacing it with something.

If it's an airsoft gun, depending on the make, the entire rail can be removed from the upper:

The reason I think it is a fabricated piece is because it comes to a 'point' towards the end that meets the charging handle. I've never seen an AR upper, especially an airsoft AR upper that has that sort of 'point'.

Also, I can't tell if the grip is gbb or aeg - looks hollow but at the same time it kind of looks like there could be a motor plate.

This is an interesting blaster for sure but again, a missed opportunity for a scope!!

Last edited:
I don't buy that at all. The underside of the rail requires a bunch of fairly complex shaping (cast into the pot metal rail) to engage with the plastic receiver sides. Why do that when you could just machine down a single piece upper? Also, those multi-part receivers are really fragile and easy to break. The opposite of what you want in a prop.

Something tells me they wouldn't have a problem.

That being said, Rogue One merchandise overload is coming soon so we'll definitely have A LOT more reference come September!

I'll have a sift through my SWCE Rogue One display photos. The only problem was that all the rebel character costumes were behind glass and much further away than the Imp troopers. I also think that the blaster was holstered. I will check though.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back