Kong: Skull Island (Post-release)

Vivek

Master Member
Photo from Kong: Skull Island starring Tom Hiddleston and Brie Larson.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/15/kong-skull-island-director-biggest-kong

CoA_p-KVMAAsR7D.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Kong: Skull Island

As I talked about in another thread this is all getting tied into the American Godzilla universe and it's going to lead up to Kong Vs.Godzilla in (they say) 2020 I've read Monarch is going to show up in this film.

The director asked this question:

“The thing that most interested me was, how big do you need to make [Kong], so that when someone lands on this island and doesn’t believe in the idea of myth, the idea of wonder – when we live in a world of social and civil unrest, and everything is crumbling around us, and technology and facts are taking over – how big does this creature need to be, so that when you stand on the ground and you look up at it, the only thing that can go through your mind is: ‘That’s a god.’” Pretty big, we’re guessing? “You will see when we drop a trailer,” Vogt-Roberts teases.

The answer is, 25' - 30' tall, just like the other Kongs--that's more than big enough to make me believe, "that's a god". He doesn't say how big his Kong will be, but I'm guessing close to 100' tall. I'd argue a creature of such colossal proportions becomes *less* awe-inspiring, as we lose relate-ability with it.

21st century Hollywood's obsession with making everything BIGGER is lazy, unimaginative, and insulting.

I don't like the sound of this film at all. And I'm a huge lover of King Kong.

The Wook

Last edited by a moderator:

The size thing is being adjusted since Godzilla is 650 odd feet tall.....not many ways a thirty foot tall ape would do well against that! And not like they didn't do that back in '62 since the Godzilla then was,if I remember right,something like 150 ft? so Kong had to be bigger.

The whole thing with the Japanese giant monster films is you put what you know on hold and just ride with it,these beasts are HUGE.

The size thing is being adjusted since Godzilla is 650 odd feet tall.....not many ways a thirty foot tall ape would do well against that! And not like they didn't do that back in '62 since the Godzilla then was,if I remember right,something like 150 ft? so Kong had to be bigger.

The whole thing with the Japanese giant monster films is you put what you know on hold and just ride with it,these beasts are HUGE.

Not a Godzilla fan. Never was. I'm a Kong fan. Always have been. Kong's size has, since his introduction in 1933, been within the size limits of actual animals which have existed on earth. It makes him possible. It makes him believable. A 100' Kong is not within the realm of possibility...let alone a 650' Kong.

The Wook

I'm cautiously interested. But what's with Hollywood giving big budget monster movies to unproven indie directors? Jurassic World was directed by a guy who had only previously made Safety Not Guaranteed. And now Jordan Vogt-Roberts is directing a KingKong movie after only making the limited release film Kings of Summer.

At least 2014 Godzilla's director had made a monster movie before, even if it was just the low budget indie film Monsters.

That skull in the pic looks much bigger than the Statue of Liberty's head. This ape is going to be stupid-huge.

IMO they can make a King Kong vs Godzilla movie but they can't make it seem like the real King Kong. It's like putting George Clooney or Ben Affleck in a Batsuit.

damn that's a big twinkie err gorilla... ;) make sure your standing on his mates skull to get his attention and then send smoke signal's just in case. GREEN GOOD.. RED BAD.

It looks very formulaic but might be fun. Jurassic Park #2/3, Aliens, etc.

Last edited:

Definitely formulaic.. I feel like I've seen that trailer a hundred times in the last few years.

I say that like I'm not going to go see it anyways.. I'll be in line with the rest of you lot I'm sure.

I'm so in. Not sure about this...sigh...shared cinematic universe thing, but as a standalone it looks fab. Love the 70s approach.

This has less a "real Gorilla that's real big" vibe and more of a "man in a suit,giant monster movie" thing going on and I love that-modernize that campy,1960's giant monster movie gig and set us up for a remake of '62's Godzilla Vs. King Kong!

So what do Gorillas of this size eat on an Island? There wouldn't be enough food the sustain a species of that size... Logic rant over

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back