Kong: Skull Island (Post-release)

My husband and I saw it last night.

I definitely didn't enjoy it as much as Peter Jackson's version. It was *OK*, but I didn't have nearly as much of a connection with Kong in this one as I did in PJ's version.

I didn't care one jot for the human characters...they seemed flat and uninteresting. And I don't care about tie-ins to other films...for myself that's a big part of what I don't like about all of the marvel movies is that they just HAVE to tie everything together. It's almost like they want you to acknowledge how clever they're being...only it's really not that clever.

What ever happened to keeping the focus on the story you're telling in *this* film, instead of always trying to nudge the viewer on to what you want to make in another year or two? We always have to "build a franchise" now, instead of focussing on making one really great film, and then seeing where that takes you.

It didn't suck... but it didn't make me excited for more, either.

I am anxious for another Godzilla, but the idea of seeing Big G and Kong square off isn't really a big deal to me. I'd prefer if they kept these worlds separate.

The director asked this question:

“The thing that most interested me was, how big do you need to make [Kong], so that when someone lands on this island and doesn’t believe in the idea of myth, the idea of wonder – when we live in a world of social and civil unrest, and everything is crumbling around us, and technology and facts are taking over – how big does this creature need to be, so that when you stand on the ground and you look up at it, the only thing that can go through your mind is: ‘That’s a god.’” Pretty big, we’re guessing? “You will see when we drop a trailer,” Vogt-Roberts teases.

The answer is, 25' - 30' tall, just like the other Kongs--that's more than big enough to make me believe, "that's a god". He doesn't say how big his Kong will be, but I'm guessing close to 100' tall. I'd argue a creature of such colossal proportions becomes *less* awe-inspiring, as we lose relate-ability with it.

21st century Hollywood's obsession with making everything BIGGER is lazy, unimaginative, and insulting.

I don't like the sound of this film at all. And I'm a huge lover of King Kong.

The Wook

As long as they get his gait right !!!

I'm sorry I had to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of King Kong, these character names seem ... familiar :lol

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-11 at 7.55.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-11 at 7.55.46 PM.png
    19.6 KB · Views: 140
Great find! :D

I saw it today. Solid movie, huge fights and very good actors. The sound was overwhelming at my theatre (felt like a wrecking ball). Definitely recommended, albeit the emotional connection lacked a bit compared to PJ's Kong. It is different, but not bad. I loved the post-credit scene! :)

Just got out of the new Kong movie. I really enjoyed it, a lot more than I thought I would, even. I liked the pacing, and the action. It was just the perfect length, accomplished to set out what it was supposed to do, and didn't overstay its welcome. Also, it was apparently 'bring your retired dad to the movies' day or something. There was three other father/offspring couples in the auditorium. My Dad and I always enjoyed a good creature feature, and this is one hell of a monster mash.

Sorry, but I don't think anything could compare favorably to the Peter Jackson version. I haven't seen or heard anything that would lead me to believe otherwise.

What's more troubling is that it's not a film on it's own, but exists for the purpose of creating a franchise. Pass. I'll probably see it when it hits basic cable.

I'm just not a monkey guy.
I am going to dunk my words in ketchup and eat them. I loved Kong. Everything a monster movie should be. Fun and exciting. Surprisingly, not predictable.
Really tense. Edge of your seat. It's like a Game of Thrones episode; nobody is safe. Unlike Godzilla, Kong really is developed as a personality. No seriously!!!
Grabs you right away. I could watch it again tonight. There is so much packed in to 120 minutes. FYI, stay for the credits...

Fun movie, could have dialed the cheese down about 20%. You can have a lighthearted popcorn flick without overly arch Whedon dialogue and corn. Close but no cigar for me. Having said that Brie Larson's tank top was worth the price of admission.

I went in with really low expectations and I loved it! I honestly did not like PJ's version. This one was fun and surprising. I loved the nod's the the original as well. Anyone else catch them?

Sorry, but I don't think anything could compare favorably to the Peter Jackson version. I haven't seen or heard anything that would lead me to believe otherwise.

What's more troubling is that it's not a film on it's own, but exists for the purpose of creating a franchise. Pass. I'll probably see it when it hits basic cable.
I dont see anything wrong with that, its still a film, so what if its going to be connected to a franchise? I love the idea of a shared universe for these monster movies. Godzillas was too, for the most part.

I have to eat crow too, I went in this movie with REALLY low expectations and came out pleasantly surprised. It was really fun, and definitely a spectacle to see. See it in theaters for sure. And yeah, they changed up the "kong mythos" by him not dying in the end, but so what? Everyone knows the Kong story, its been told numerous times, why not make a movie that sets it up so he fights other monsters? Guess what the highlight of this movie was? When Kong fights the monsters. I cant wait for 2020 when Kong vs Godzilla comes out.

Yeah, I had low expectations too. But man was it fun.They backed off the beauty and the beast storyline too, which I thought was a great change..

The only thing it didn't have IMO was that build up to something epic , like when they see the wall in the other movies and try to rationalize what they are keeping out.
There was a lot of retro here, for a little while it felt like almost every Vietnam movie I have ever seen , my kids loved the soundtrack in a weird Guardians of the Galaxy sort of way.

Saw it in 3d and thought that was pretty good too.

I thought it could have been written by a fifteen year old. Plenty of roll your eyes moments.

We're on the same page here. I moaned multiple times... loud enough I'm sure people heard. I was a guy I HATE.

"we're gonna save KONG!"

"Why????"

*shhhhhhhhh!*

I will admit I had low expectations for this, but I just watched it and I will have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a really nice romp in giant monsterville! Samuel Jackson plays a good Captain Ahab which I didn't expect and of course he (almost) gets to say exactly what you know he is going to say. Solid Saturday matinee fun type movie. I absolutely hated Peter Jackson's version, give me the Jeff Bridges version any day, that's the one I grew up on. Yeah, I know the original is classic, but I never even saw it until I was in my thirties, so for me it was just another "old" movie.

Dealing with the "hollow Earth" theory of this movie, anybody else think it could somehow fit into the Pacific Rim world? Sure had some weird giant monsters in it, not just your average run-of-the-mill overgrown animals.

I liked it, although the way the ship kept spawning hueys bothered me a little.

5 on the deck becomes 10 in the air, then when they are all wiped out, there's still three more at the end?

5 on deck and two more medical Hueys hidden below/behind the con tower. You can see them when the other 20 fly off. That was a small 'aw come on' moment but.......

I liked it! I didnt know anything except for what was on the commercials. We fired it up via On Demand and happy camping ensued. I Love Viet Nam Era war movies. The cinematography was good, some choppy editing but the whole story flowed Ok. The after credits.......Oh Hell yea. I was able to name all the monsters on the cave walls. Wife was all like....who are you?

Great Redbox rental.

5 on deck and two more medical Hueys hidden below/behind the con tower. You can see them when the other 20 fly off. That was a small 'aw come on' moment but.......

I liked it! I didnt know anything except for what was on the commercials. We fired it up via On Demand and happy camping ensued. I Love Viet Nam Era war movies. The cinematography was good, some choppy editing but the whole story flowed Ok. The after credits.......Oh Hell yea. I was able to name all the monsters on the cave walls. Wife was all like....who are you?

Great Redbox rental.

The first script was very different....
They made this movie to connect it to the next movie.

Personally it's a pop corn movie.....

The sound track is correct, the photography is good (grainy image) but the script is very bad.

The only thing I have liked is the duality between Samuel Jackson and Kong. In a scene, Jacksons says (about The Vietnam War) "we have not lost the war, we have abndoned the conflict" It's very important for him.

So we can assume that Kong is a metaphorical representation of the conflict and that Jackson don't want lose again this conflict.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back