National Treasure "Charlotte" bell WIP

Customrelic

Hi all, does anyone have a close up photo of the eagle thats on the front of the bell? Thats one of the last pieces i need to finish. So far the bell itself is around 20" tall and i plan on doing a bronze cold cast. After im going to add a chemical to speed up the oxidation process giving it that green color you see on older bronzes. It is not hollow. I think one day i will do make it that but dont really have the time now. Ill post some pics in the next day or so. Thanks for any help. I really need this image
Ant

Last edited:
Re: National Treasure bell 90 percent complete. Need eagle photo pls

I speak from ignorance when I say, "What bell ? What eagle ?"

The liberty bell (featured in National Treasure) doesn't have an eagle.

He's referring to the CHAROLETTE bell. I may be able to get you pics of it. I know who owns it....

I have this pic, from ... somewhere?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-05-02 at 1.18.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-05-02 at 1.18.15 PM.png
    809.3 KB · Views: 455

I speak from ignorance when I say, "What bell ? What eagle ?"

The liberty bell (featured in National Treasure) doesn't have an eagle.
if you watch the movie, they find a bell from the "Charlotte" with another clue. The Charlotte is a boat btw.
I have this pic, from ... somewhere?
Mike- that pic is perfect. I can see it good enough. Thanks so much

if you watch the movie, they find a bell from the "Charlotte" with another clue. The Charlotte is a boat btw.

:lol Time to watch the movie, again. I didn't remember a second bell.

I was going to watch the movie again to see if i could see it but cant find the dvd. My kids always take movies when friends are over and never put them back. Drives me crazy

Thanks to YouTube, this is apparently all we see on screen? :(

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-07-15 at 9.40.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-07-15 at 9.40.08 PM.png
    543 KB · Views: 412

NationalTreasure movie exhibit.jpg

From the National Treasure exhibit. (Disney sponsored)

Heres a progress pic. The Charlotte letters were done in sculpy just to visualize size etc. Im actually going to 3d print the "Charlotte " and " Boston Massachusetts " letters to match the screen used prop. I also think it will make for a better mold because they will be perfect. I did the rough eagle and will tidy him up later. And i think i need to add an inch or 2 to top of the bell (foam part) to better match the original. I never realized how off the original is till studying it. Tomorrow all the final sculpting and cleaning will be finished. When the letters are done i will post another pic. The height is around 20". Comments and suggestions are welcome. Thanks
image.jpeg

I experimented with the bronze cold casting. It looks way better if i add the powder to the resin besides dusting the mold. This was on a small statue but im sure it will be the same. Im just sorry i didnt take photos of it. Im going to call the company tomorrow to see what options there are as far as casting mediums. I have to ship a copy out of state and was worried about the weight. Resin will be heavy and im not sure if there are other methods of cold casting with something less heavy. Would anyone know? Thanks

I made these brass tags to go with another National Treasure prop. I tweaked the original a bit and im pleased with the end artwork. Now ill make similar ones for the bell.

image.jpeg

So now that i have the basic measurments for the bell housing, the distance between mouldings, eagle and lettering, im starting to pack everything out and smooth. I started with the main part of the bell to fatten it up. The top "plate" that you see was temporary and being removed. It was used to get measurements. The lettering is being 3d printed as we speak as well as the eagle to match the original identically. When they are ready, i plan on doing a plain, resin casting. I use that to fix any imperfections. Then the cold casting.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 157
Re: National Treasure bell. Need eagle photo pls

This is a coat of cellulose i always use as a final step before making a mold. I do this for a few reasons. I am able to sand any place i need to to make it perfect. It almost acts as a primer to help me see where any flaws are. I also like using it when doing any type of bronze casting because it gives me an authentic surface as a bronze would have. Being its an old bell, it will give the appearance of being metal. Im still waiting for the lettering and eagle to be 3d printed.image.png

Got the only two appearances, I think, in HD:

Attachments

• shot0001.jpg
    shot0001.jpg
    652.2 KB · Views: 219
  • shot0002.jpg
    shot0002.jpg
    709.4 KB · Views: 371

Got the only two appearances, I think, in HD:

Thanks for the second pic. Thats a big help for the letter design. Ive done some bronzes before. This technique mimics metal perfectly. I was shown it many years ago from an old guy who was a pro at molds and casts.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back