Ghostbusters (2016) (Reviews, Reactions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jettajeffro

Re: Ghostbusters Post Release

Heading home from the green carpet premiere last night, quick feelings:

McKinnon is the best part of the film.

The opening is strong but the film is paced very quickly. Feels like it takes place in 2 days.

The cameos were good but Bills was the most involved.

Several jabs at internet trolls.

The dance number was during the end credits.

Lots of great gear and testing scenes.

No montage, was really hoping for one.

Lots of busting action and the ghosts are better than shown in the trailers.

It's going to remind a lot of older fans of an RGB episode, especially with a human controlling the ghosts like Ragnarok and Roll for example.

No F bombs. A lot in the trailers is not in the film.

I'll be seeing it again at one of the screenings I'm working this week and really forming a final opinion. Was exhausted by the time I saw it yesterday. I do think the average joe will like it and not nitpick. Overall I enjoyed it, but definitely the new era of comedy feeling. Nothing will beat the original.

Re: Ghostbusters Post Release

Okay i just got back from this movie. Spoilers ahead!

Dear lord...I'm not sure what to say.
It starts of pretty good. The haunted house scene is pretty spooky and sets up a movie that is not coming.Then we go to the title screen and the university of Colombia where Wig is working. A gentleman comes up to her asking about a book she wrote, and is asking about help about the ghost in the haunted house. She denies she wrote the book and looks up McCarthy to tell her she needs to stop publishing the book. That is where we meet Holtzmann, this character is really bad acted and directed. My god ...somebody wrote this character as Dexter (the cartoon and the series). After this encounter there is a fart joke (yes literally).
So they go investigate the haunted house, find the ghost in shock and then cut to Holtzmann EATING PRINGLES with the line "WHO CAN RESIST THESE TASTY SALTY TREATS".And that's the whole tone of this movie. There are two more product placements right into your face and it's all horrible done.
90% of this movie is junk: the cinematography, the script, the editing, the scenes, the acting, the jokes. Most of the "jokes" are flat liners, except those of Kevin. I had a laugh or two about the comic relief character (kevin) in a comedy movie.... All of the so called fan service is cringe to max. The cameos...cringe.The throwbacks...cringe.The reference to original...cringe. They even take a moment to address youtube comments.
Then this villain.
The motivation of the villain is nothing more than "people were mean to me, now they all are going to die".
I have nothing good to say about this movie...ANYONE that gives this movie more than a 4/10 is insane, biased or bought off.

If any of you have questions about it or want more details about it, just ask :)

EDIT: Almost forgot. The 3D is horrible. They add a black line to the top and bodem and the beams and the ghost fly out of frame by going over the black lines.

Re: Ghostbusters (2016) (Post-release)

Well I just watched it and purposely stayed away from the reviews and went in cold. There were a few clever jokes that I felt obliged to chuckle in. The effects were pretty good too.

The film played like Bridesmaids except with the supernatural. I would say Bridesmaids was funnier though.

The cameos...mmm...it was nice to see the old characters but completely washing who they were in the old universe really sucked for me. Their bit parts seemed so underwhelming as to be insulting to the love we all have for them and the original films. But...it's just a movie I guess lol The proton packs were cool but not memorable to my mind. The original is a very hard act to follow and alot of the quirkiness of the characterizations seemed really forced. I would liked to have seen George Clooney bust ghosts lol Now that would be cool;)

Regards
T
A
Z

Just saw the new Ghostbusters... what a trainwreck of a movie

Just got back from the 7:00pm Thursday night showing of the new Ghostbusters movie... man what a disappointment. I've read many of the negative reviews but wanted to go see it for myself and make up my own mind. I don't think I laughed once till probably 30 minutes into the movie... it just wasn't funny the majority of the time. Compared to the original classic this reboot was complete garbage. The best parts of the movie were the cameos from the original actors. The reboot of this franchise had sooooo much potential and I was very excited about it since the first day I heard of it but they totally blew it. I just wished they had picked another classic franchise to ruin with a PC reboot other than Ghostbusters... oh well... that's life.

My screening was pretty full-- I'd say around 70ish%.

I enjoyed it! It was a very fun watch. McKinnon stole the show. The ghost FX looked really cool.
I loved the old-school animated GB logo!!!

I was very pleased with it!
I think one o my favorite lines was when Patty sees all the soldiers and police frozen and she shouts out,"Why y'all like this!" That one had me cracking up!!

I enjoyed it! Theater was 90% full. Amazingly, no one left during the movie and plenty of laughs.

I know I defended the movie a lot but I've never been a big modern comedy or feig movie fan. I did like Spy. Glad the movie beat my expectations!

My family enjoyed it even more than I did.

- - - Updated - - -

This is the kind of thing that irritates me:

He makes decent movies, but why do his fans have to pretend that he invented female led comedies? This isn't written by a 4 year old right? They are aware that movies actually happened prior to 2010?

Sure but when was the last time such a string of women led movies happened before Feig and crew?

I watched the originals in the theaters and enjoyed this one just fine. Is it funnier than the original? No, it missed a catch phrase line like "We came, we saw, we kicked its ass".. but it can hang with the second. Normally a die hard Kate fan but thought Kristen and her backstory were surprisingly funny. I felt Melissa was being held back a bit to prevent overcamping but I wished they camped it a little more. Leslie was pretty damn funny and tied the team together really well. I really wanted to see them objectify Hemsworth much more. Think they missed an opportunity to be really wrong-wrong. The original GB cameos dovetailed nicely. Bill killed it with an over the top and Dan was so amazingly subtle that you just had to stop and think about how smooth his delivery was.

Lots of cool prop-ortunities. Could be an expensive year for some here.

I saw it today and really enjoyed it, I'd take the chance to see it again even if it came up. The original movies came out when I was a child and they were favourites of mine, so there is a lot of nostalgia attached for me. I thought this measured up really well. The characters/cast were good, I enjoyed Melissa McCarthy and Chris Hemsworth's roles especially. I found it a little slow to start, but quickly picked up and once it started moving was all good. It was really great to see Ghostbusters creatures with contemporary special effects, and there were a few frights as well as laughs because of that. The creatures were more menacing and credible as threats/frights than the original movies which worked really nicely. I liked the nods to the previous films, both the cameos and bits of the story arc and situations, and thought it worked great in a reboot. I would have liked if Sigourney got a more meaningful spot though, or something that fed into the story as it developed as she seemed a bit too much of an afterthought to me.

Saw it today in a mostly empty theater. I went in with very low expectations and ended up liking it more than I thought. The start was slow and some of the characters seemed a bit forced in the beginning but seemed to settle in over the course of the movie. Not a great movie, but solid. I'd give it a 6.5 out of 10. I think the last line of the movie summed up the whole movie for me:

"That's not bad... that's not bad at all"

I watched it last night, loved it. It's certainly no Original GB and it will never will be. It's not a perfect movie either, it has flaws like in pacing and scenes that might needed to be in. Also needed time to flush out some characters. Wish it was a bit longer. Also wished the beginning GB song intro more like the old movies intro.

Just got back from seeing it.

I honestly don't know how to say this with all the I am just extremely happy with it. I laughed, I got excited, there was real chemistry between the characters and everyone felt like they really cared about what they were doing. I put my faith in Paul Feig and I was awarded with a darn good time. This made my day great!

And my sister liked it too!

Saw it Friday night, twice. Took my fam and headed out to Macon to see it with some of the Georgia Ghostbusters. We handed out candy and posed for pictures and such.
Good movie made all the better by having great people to share it with.

I'll be honest when the news of the reboot hit I wasn't sure what to think. I never said anything negative, just that I would reserve my own personal judgment until AFTER I got to see it for myself. My daughters, on the other hand were totally psyched about it from day one. They love the original Ghostbusters and that's not much of a surprise, because how far can the apple fall from the tree?

After having seen the movie I can say that I really did enjoy it, it was better than I was expecting it to be (I try not to get my hopes up with Hollywood), nay I say better than I had even hoped it could be! The roaring cheers, clapping, and even dancing of the movie goers during the show was evidence of that. It wasn't just a trip to the cinema, it was an event.

What more can I say? Go see it for yourself.

View attachment 645127

Attachments

• IMG_0015.JPG
    IMG_0015.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 97

My wife and I went and saw Ghostbusters today. It was fun. It was funny. It was absolutely PG and silly. It was it's own film and was not beholden to a pre-established cast/canon/story. It had sarcastic jabs at the angry internet neck beards that made me giggle. It had cameos that made me giggle. The CGI was tolerable. Kate McKinnon by far was the best part, too. I loved her.

I just try to relax, make peace with the fact that they don't make movies like they did when we grew up because tastes and culture have changed around me, and had a nice two hours watching some cool stuff on a big screen.

Saw it with my family on Sunday and it was a lot of fun. I have 2 twin daughters, 8 years old who both love the first 2 Ghostbusters movies...and this one is now their favorite.
They say they weren't scared but one of them kept climbing up on my lap, while the other kept saying 'Mommy Daddy don't worry, I lost my fear so I'm not scared.' :)

I never really got into the earlier movies, so for me it's pretty much on par with the first one. It's a fun movie and the ghosts look really good. First half was more exciting than the second half but still a good popcorn flick.
It felt right, and the cameos were cool. Is it better or worse than the previous ones? I'd say it's new....different but kind of the same and easily far better than the second one. At least it was for me.

It was funny and absolutely age appropriate even for my kids and I was worried that the ghosts would be too realistic and while the CGI was pretty good, it was still cartoony enough for them to not feel uncomfortable too much.

The new costumes are cool, the packs are really neat....but I didn't care for all the new handheld gadgets to be honest.
Now my kids want proton packs....and that's good enough for me to say this movie is a win all around.

David

I wanted to like it... I had friends who gave it positive reviews but my expectations were already very low. I considered myself to be the ultimate litmus test of this film as I must be one of the few individuals left in he world that hasn't seen any of the actors or directors material whatsoever.

I only laughed once, at the Jaws line. Theater about 1/4 full, only a few laughs here and only from individual parties, never all at once.

Heard a lot of 'the Egon-chick stole the show.' I couldn't even understand what she was saying because she seemed to always be doing a voice. I don't get it, not a lot of chemistry among the cast. It all felt flat to me, and again an entire movie was already spoiled by its own trailers so there weren't a lot of surprises. If anything Leslie Jones delivered the most convincing performance.

One positive from me, I liked the introduction of the lay lines as a paranormal/scientific concept... even if an on-hand paper map of NYC without creases is less believeable than the colorful ghosts.

Two 3D tickets cost me almost $40. I should have spent it on my proton pack. Well, at least we got Ecto Cooler back.

Maybe I'm too old, and possibly out of touch with modern comedy. But for those who were laughing, could you even cite what exactly was so damn funny?

I finally saw it and... It seems to me that a lot of people hate this film because they want to hate it. No, it's no Citizen Kane. Heck, it's not even a Ghostbusters 2. But it was okay. Yes, the whole "Kevin is an idiot" subplot was truly cringe worthy, a few of the moments in the film just fell flat, and at times the techno-babble just seemed excessive, but overall the film was entertaining. Kate McKinnon was probably the highlight of the movie for me, even if the performance was occasionally a little too over the top. The cameos and throwbacks were amusing, and never seemed forced or out of place. I don't know if that "dance number" was ever meant to be in the body of the film, but it definitely was a good move to push it back into the credits as it would have brought the story to a dead stop. All said, it was more good than it was bad and if my friend decides to go see it, I might see it again with him.

I liked it. The wife and I laughed a lot. It's very much a love letter to the original. Kate McKinnon and Chris Hemsworth are awesome.

I saw it and liked it even though it kinda fell apart at the end. Kate McKinnon stole the show though. Really liked her Egon type of character. It gave me a vibe of the ghostbusters cartoon though. The ending really felt like the cartoon. Still good and better than the 2nd one in my opinion though I actually like that one more than I used to.

We loved it! The theater we went to was packed! We are off to see it again tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back