Nintendo is releasing a miniature NES with 30 built-in games

Having supply THIS low has gone from sharp marketing ploy to 'throwing money away'

Lowered supply can increase hype and has, which is great for a console. But I was shocked that they were still non existent even on and after Black Friday weekend. Losing out on the impulse buying is insane for a $60 console. My mother probably would've bought 4 of them herself for her grandkids and nephews just because it's a console and she's heard of it. Instead I think she ended up getting them the atari one because in her mind Nintendo and Atari are actually the same thing, and she got the kids done first week of Dec. for just over $200 total.

You CAN get them for $150-200 EACH on ebay, which might have been doable as the big gotta-have-it Christmas item, but no kid is going to pick almost 30 year old system as their gotta-have.

Then there's old guys like me who want it because we remember playing them as kids...I wanted it bad enough to even brave Black Friday crowds to try to get one. I tried Best Buy...who said they actually have no plans of getting more in at all, and Target which said I might get one if I show up when they open every single day on the off chance the the truck brought more that day and none of the sales clerks have ebay accounts.

...and that might be a decent sales strategy for a week or so, but after that: I just got myself a USB controller and downloaded a free emulator online. I've been playing the games on my laptop all week and I'm already getting bored with them.

At this point I may end up just picking one up in the spring when they go on clearance. Even then it's become a maybe for me. To be honest, I've discovered it might be better having them on my laptop with an emulator, since I can actually watch TV while I play.

They are still going to make money off this, no question, but not nearly as much as they would have with decent supply. The hype will never equal the lost impulse buys or the people who got impatient and went another way. It just doesn't work as well with games this old, since we have so many other options available when supply is too low.

i hope they add more games just to screw over the scalpers but i doubt it.

would like to see bart vrs the space mutants on there, as well as star wars and turtles and more megam an games.

I walked into a Walmart and just bought one for $59.99. Just takes patience.

replace "Patience" with "Luck". It's like camping a rare in a badly designed RPG. SOME stores have one or two. Sometimes.

On the website: nothing...but if you go in person some store might have one. Not my store...better stores. Or not. Or maybe. Just come back every day like there's nothing else you could ever want to do.

pass.

Besides...the emulator was available first time I looked. For less money.

edit: also...sorry for sarcasm, but you DO realize, right, that almost nothing is more annoying than when you try every single store in the area multiple times and someone comes along and says "Oh I just walked in and got one..you just need to be more patient?" It makes people think uncharitable thoughts.

Well they lost my cash because i'm not even looking for this thing anymore. They could have made a fortune jamming the shelves with these on day one. It's practically priced well enough as a sudden nostalgic impulse buy. "Only 60 bucks" for what looks like a console with the old school controller and 30 games? Heck yeah!

Well no one can find them and now it's removing those types of purchases with only people that are REALLY trying to find one and having to resort to secondary market scalpers.

Still utterly stupid strategy from Nintendo.

Well they lost my cash because i'm not even looking for this thing anymore. They could have made a fortune jamming the shelves with these on day one. It's practically priced well enough as a sudden nostalgic impulse buy. "Only 60 bucks" for what looks like a console with the old school controller and 30 games? Heck yeah!

Well no one can find them and now it's removing those types of purchases with only people that are REALLY trying to find one and having to resort to secondary market scalpers.

Still utterly stupid strategy from Nintendo.

I agree with this 100%. When it first came out, I wanted one...now? I'm kinda over it. I'm not even actively looking any more. My wife told me the other day that some website said they were going to have some at a certain time. She hit refresh right as the clock on her computer hit that time, and it went from "Arriving Soon" to "Sold Out" as soon as she hit refresh. I told her not to waste her time any more.

I walked into a Walmart and just bought one for $59.99. Just takes patience.

Admit it, you backhanded several moms and dads out of your way, pushing their children down as you leaped across them screaming "MIIIINNNNEEE!" and grabbing the last one, didn't you? :D

I got an email from ThinkGeek.
ThinkGeekNES.jpg

I personally went through with buying the parts for a RetroPie. No cool case or NFC tag reader so I can pretend to use cartridges yet. I like that it plays games for a LOT of old consoles and computers. I'm currently downloading "Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law" for the PSP. Target had the Wii U Pro wireless controller on sale so I got a pair of them and they work great.

I bought a retropie, just too lazy to set it up. I got harvey birdman at Ollie's discount store this year for 15.00 after 3 years of passing on it. Also got some ps2 games there. Nobody is going to be getting the classic edition until at least spring at this rate.

It would have been better if they let you pick what 30 games you wanted and then ship it to you....but I'm sure that would create a whole new mess. And really, I'd want much more than just 30.

I bought a retropie, just too lazy to set it up. I got harvey birdman at Ollie's discount store this year for 15.00 after 3 years of passing on it. Also got some ps2 games there. Nobody is going to be getting the classic edition until at least spring at this rate.

If you got a Pi3 and have a 128gig SD card you can go the easy route and do a search for "Reys 128gb Attract Mode RetroPie Image" ;)

I need to put the thing together first, plus i need a bigger sd card as it only came with a 32gb. Oh it appears to be a torrent and i don't use those. I was hoping someone would have it posted a normal way. This is going to bite nintendo in a month or so when their new system hits and nobody rushes for it knowing they'll have made a fake shortage.

Last edited:
Lol.... I still have my old one from ages ago..... so now I know that if I let go of it, that this is available. Good stuff.... adding this to my wish list

Once again Nintendo screws up, all they're doing is encouraging people to pirate their older games instead of getting this into more production or having them all ready for the switch via estore.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back