USS VOYAGER 1/2 studio scale scratch built

panfar

IMG_1145.JPGIMG_1146.JPGIMG_1143.JPGIMG_1144.JPGThis is my attempt to build USS Voyager from scratch. I started by doing a lot of research and collecting reference photos. I used top and side views to get my basic structure and enlarged them in my opaque projector and drew out the patterns on 1/4 inch plywood,

After that I am just going to eye everything

The Nacelles have a wooden dowel going through pcv which will allow them to pivot up and down I will be using an old electric screwdriver to power the motion.

IMG_1195.JPGI made the Main Deflector originally from a piece of 2x4 that I hand sanded until I acquired the correct shape .I then cut thin strips of gorilla duck tape and laid them out around the deflector to get the proper look.I then made a rubber mold and poured in clear resin with a few drops of HOK colbolt candy blue mixed in. I hand painted the raised ridges and glued a piece of opaque glass behind the main opening to diffuse the light

Panfar, first of all....Im jealous you live in Ormond Beach. Secondly, let me make an observation and you might be able to clear it up. Regarding the plastic model, dish height looks thinner than your project. Your reference pics might show a thicker sidewall than the model, but by comparing the model to your project, the sidewall on the saucer looks high. This might be because of the choice of materials (plywood VS thin Styrene for the skin).

If you are happy, Im happy. Just wanted to give you a fresh set of eyes.

BTW....looks like you are making MAD progress.

PS. Its kinda cool how certain ships 'call out to you'. I might not care for a 20,000 Leagues under the Sea sub, but there are plenty of people who it does. Voyager was a great bird and series.

Last edited:
I just trance out when I;m in build mode.
Panfar, first of all....Im jealous you live in Ormond Beach. Secondly, let me make an observation and you might be able to clear it up. Regarding the plastic model, dish height looks thinner than your project. Your reference pics might show a thicker sidewall than the model, but by comparing the model to your project, the sidewall on the saucer looks high. This might be because of the choice of materials (plywood VS thin Styrene for the skin).

If you are happy, Im happy. Just wanted to give you a fresh set of eyes. Thanks for the observation you have a good eye. I will be sanding the side to an angle to match the upper skin so I should lose almost a 1/4 inch from the perceived height. Please continue to keep me on track.

BTW....looks like you are making MAD progress.

PS. Its kinda cool how certain ships 'call out to you'. I might not care for a 20,000 Leagues under the Sea sub, but there are plenty of people who it does. Voyager was a great bird and series.

IMG_1233.JPGBack view with impulse engines on. Janeway and Seven go for a private cruise in the Captains Yacht

Attachments

• IMG_2349.JPG
    IMG_2349.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 374
Last edited:
Looking very good (it's going to weigh a ton; if I had been you, I would've drill more holes in that main structure to lighten the load) but so far so good.
Btw, what kind of cladding are you gonna apply on that bird?

To answer your question about the outer skin, I will be using plastic sheet with al, flashing on top .So most of the outer hull will be made from metal. I have used this technique before and it looks like something that was built at Utopia Plencia rather than something that came from a box , Your right about needing more holes, the wiring in this thing is going to be a cluster . I live and learn and have fun.

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_1231.JPGThe upper hull under construction

Last edited:
I will be using the decals from my model I did the math and will have to enlarge them 215% I have transfer paper and will make my own decals when the time comes.IMG_1234 (480x640).jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back