Homecoming Spiderman armored sections help

waterspider

Hi guys! I don't post here often but I Could use some perspective on a certain matter. As of right meow I'm in the process of modding a version 2 civil war spiderman from zentaizone. Not a bad print by no means. The rubber sections of the suit are a topic that's not tackled often. So I thought of an idea. The detailed designs of the heavy black armored areas aren't often displayed it full detail, so in this process I might need help. The idea I'm shooting for is to layout the fine details with puff paint. Then go over the whole armored section in black plasti- dip. However that idea sounds, I need input. Any help is appreciated.

I'm doing something very similar, but instead modding a custom print file. Great idea, but how would it handle the fabric? Is there a certain kind of Plasti-Dip that you can use that works well with it?

Thanks,

Odin.

You're guess is as good as mine my friend. I was most like just the original brand, then test out on some spare spandex. I've came across a thread about plasti dip and spandex. What i got out of that was the importance of air flow. I figured safe zone if you do small taped sections. What has me excited is that if it works, then think of all the cool things you can do. armored sections on spiderman suits is my main focus. I can almost see this for big time spiderman or iron spiderman maybe armored spiderman. Who knows and i hope theres a chance it helps.

I was wondering about this as well. I was trying to figure out if I should go over the black section with something clear and glossy to look similar, or just puffy-paint the black sections, but in the end decided both were too much work.

I bought some Plasti-Dip spray paint and tried it on some spare spndex I had. Worked surprisingly well!:) About to try it out with puffy paint as well. Wish me luck!

Odin.

Sorry for the late response guys. I will post pics of the process once I get back home. I tested it out previously and yes, it was still stretchy.

Hope that helps! :D

Odin.

Ok guys, here's what you asked for! :D

Here is the Plasti-Dip that I bought from a local hardware store.
It's just matte black.

IMG_4506.JPG

I pinned my spare spandex onto a spare piece of cardboard.

IMG_4507.JPG

I then taped it off. (Sloppily, might I add.)

IMG_4508.JPG

In order for the Plasti-Dip to work properly, multiple coats have to be added, with a 30 minute drying time in-between.

Here is the first coat.

IMG_4509.JPG

After drying for 30 minutes.

IMG_4511.JPG

Second coat dry.

IMG_4512.JPG

Third coat dry.

IMG_4513.JPG

Removing the masking tape.

IMG_4514.JPG

Close up shots of the end product.

IMG_4516.JPG

IMG_4517.JPG

Removing the pins/tacks.

IMG_4518.JPG

And a stretch test.

Hope that helps out with everybody's projects!

Odin. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a zentaizone civil war costume but it's a bit too small so I reordered. So while I wait for it I decided to do was use the other suit to try and figure out a good method for the armoured sections as well.
What I tried was puff paint, and I painted it on with a sponge brush on one of the legs, here's the result.
DDxtv9Z.jpg
Hope this helps a bit.
(P.s. I apologize for the blurriness, my hands shake,)

That puffy paint looks a lot better than my attempts to use Plasti-Dip on some fabric. Might give that a try after some more testing.

For others out there, Plasti-dip looks pretty good after two coats, but it does crack if stretched too far and when "loose" it can kind of curl up. Might make your costume only look good in certain positions.

Last edited:
Something you could do is make a cutout of the sections from foam and pour the puffy paint in to get a 3d effect
It looks a little off because it's not stretched right now, but it really did work well
For the civil war suit, I'd recommend a flat black puff paint and not a shiney like I did for my spider
I did it for the spider I did on a suit and it worked alright
558724fb184b35df0b1575d5cf93f498_thumb.jpg
7f86eb71f2827ac3ecf5719dacb9f4f4_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back