will i upset people if i dress as blade

sp1derman

Sr Member
So I love blade especially the snipes films and I've always wanted to cosplay as him but I fear that I may upset other people by portraying a Charecter whose race does not match mine.

Do you think it would anger people if I cosplayed as blade?

I've considered a hanibal king costume with blades weapons (like the torch was passed after blade trinity) but it isn't the same.

I want to be blade I love blade but not sure how to do it?

I have no prejudice against anyone and don't want people to think I do by a costume I do?

Sent From The Batcave

Last edited:
I say do what you want. If you want to cosplay as Blade, go for it. You can't worry about what others think because there will always be that one thin-skinned person who's offended at the slightest thing. Staying home may offend someone, going out may offend someone else, being a man dressed in a pink tutu may offend yet another person... You can't live your life worrying about offending people because then you'll just end up in limbo somewhere, which may offend some other wackadoo.

This PC stuff is getting out of hand.

Have fun and cosplay to your hearts content man.

I say do what you want. If you want to cosplay as Blade, go for it. You can't worry about what others think because there will always be that one thin-skinned person who's offended at the slightest thing. Staying home may offend someone, going out may offend someone else, being a man dressed in a pink tutu may offend yet another person... You can't live your life worrying about offending people because then you'll just end up in limbo somewhere, which may offend some other wackadoo.

This PC stuff is getting out of hand.

Have fun and cosplay to your hearts content man.
My fear more comes from being band from a con due to how overly PC our world has become for being perceived as a racist which I categorically am not! I love everyone until I'm given a reason not to

Sent From The Batcave

I don't see how a cosplay of Blade could be racist, but then again who knows what's going to set someone off. Still, do what you want man and if anyone says anything, say it's Blade from a different universe or something. Or paint yourself blue and say you're cosplaying Balde Smurf. I want to see someone get upset at a Smurf.

oh wait, the midgets might be offended by the term Smurf.

:facepalm

I miss the good ol' days... :darnkids

Only if you do blackface. That's it. Cosplay whatever you want otherwise and no one will care. It is not racist to wear clothing that a person that happens to be another race wears.
I've read posts of people complaining so just wanted more experienced peoples opinions. :)
I wouldn't go black face though I've considered paying to have a silicone replica of snipe made simply to look as accurate as humanly possible [emoji14]

Sent From The Batcave

Will people who are not Lets say not of African descent go to cons as black panther? probably , so I think it would be ok ,but the world is full of PC Nazi's, so you may get some flack.
If there can be a female Ghostbuster whats wrong with a person of non African descent being Blade;)

Would it be to far to actually have a silicone replica of snipes as a mask?
If I'm going to do blade I'd love to look as humanly close as possible to the films or would people take it the wrong way?
Like the full masks of Peter dinkilage (sorry of spelt wrong)

Sent From The Batcave

What a load. If I wear something other than what I wear normally, it's a costume. If I want to dress up as a War Chief, what the heck is wrong with that??

As for the OP, go for it! You want to wear a Wesley Snipes mask, do it. As everyone has said, it's all about being respectful. If you're a Blade fan and want to dress up as Blade, who cares what color you are?! Heck, look at all the crossplayers out there. What's the difference?

The thing is, when you cosplay it's a tribute. Even if you look exactly like the character you're not. It's great if you look like a character and have a perfect costume, but it's still make believe. I saw a guy on here who had an excellent Neal Adams Batman costume. It didn't matter that he was a different race the costume was awesome. I can't fault anyone, ANYONE, for wanting to be Batman... or Blade.

If I wanted to Jessica Rabbit, I would source killer material for the dress, a killer wig and have a silicone body stocking to pump out my rump and chest. Same thing If I wanted to do a Blade, I would source the best pieces and do a prosthetic nose along with air brushed darker skin and wig. If anyone asks you about it, just say you are one of the Wayen brothers from White Chicks.

Screw PC, Be the best damn XXXXX you can be. Nobody called Robert Downey JR. a racist in Tropic Thunder.

I'll keep this brief. If you want to be Blade, be Blade. If you want to pay to have a custom silicone mask made of Wesley Snipes made, absolutely do it. just understand that if you apply makeup to your face to look like Wesley Snipes you will be kicked out of the con in short order, but likely you won't even make it that far. Chances are you'll be stopped at the door. So play it safe. Leave the makeup at home.

That's what I don't understand. Say if I wanted to be Blade, got the hair cut and painted my skin tone to match Snipes' interpretation, what makes it racist? Skin color isn't part of the costume but it is a part of the character and I want to be portraying that character and that particular interpretation. I remember a similar situation ages ago about someone wanting to be Lando and doing something similar and got loads of flack for it. As far as I see it, if it isn't done for insult, what's the harm? Maybe it depends on person to person but, for me, as an Asian American, if someone went costuming as Bruce Lee from The Chinese Connection, went through the trouble of getting in shape and doing his hair up, I wouldn't be upset in the slightest had he had make up applied to give him the slanted eyes.

Now, we'd have a serious discussion if he started walking around going "Ping-Pong-Ding-Dong".:lol

personally I would not wear a mask/make up just buy/make a blade outfit and wear it no one (well there will be the odd plonker) will say anything. if your a fan that's all that matters race and gender don't come in to it.

I think it's safe to say that in today's world,eventhough your intentions are sincere,you will be held to account for painting your face a certain colour.
I would take the rules of a specific convention as your point of reference for what goes/doesn't fly,not so much what is socially desirable.

Last edited:
I'm not gonna get into this in any real depth here for fear of treading on the "no politics" prohibition, but look up the term "appropriation" in relation to race issues.

Bottom line: just don't do it. Be a different vampire slayer. Create your own inspired character. But don't put on blackface to do it (or yellowface to do, say, a Christopher Lee version of Fu Manchu or whatever).

There's a lot of other stuff that's wrapped into pretending to be of another race which isn't related to your intent to be respectful or insulting either way. It's not about your intent. It's about other people's reactions.

Or think of it this way. Not that the two are exactly the same, but if you decided to go to a con dressed in 100% historically accurate 1941 Wehrmacht gear, it would be similarly bad. Even if your intent was to portray a specific soldier who had documented anti-Nazi views, you're still really likely to tick a lot of people off and catch a ton of flack.

It's all about how people will respond to you, not about your intentions. Nobody knows your intentions and nobody will likely care about them. I'd just avoid it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw go for the costume and leave the face paint out of it. Make it your own take on the character, people do that all the time especially with gender swapping characters

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back