Dann's Hoth Blaster Han's DL-44

how did you go about weathering the finish off the denix? did you strip it and then use aluminum black? it almost looks like gun blue? either way i love the finish on the denix

Well thanks very much, sir!

I think she could stand some reworking, but I'm just too lazy at this point. It does have lots of little bits here and there that I've tried to make look more MGC-like. It's got an MGC bolt, for instance...

I mean, shoot! It must be something like this, for crying out loud!
f8134a8971cbd8cb745c13de29db5c88.jpg

I know, it made me question it's authenticity when I stood in front of it. Looked like a misjudged fan build, but of course it is real.

I just love discoveries like this! Gives the prop a completely different look, and it's so interesting!

I'm obviously just eyeballing, and using some nylon spacers at the moment, but i just had to see what it looked like sitting so far off the Mauser.

it just keeps getting better postt by post , truely amazing work , lovet the weathering , maybe it helps that its actually a few years old ;O)

Thanks, sir! Yeah, I think this was either my first or second Denix. Circa '98-'99. In the most recent photo you can see the original 1/4-20 hole that attached the old school scope bracket!

She's seen a lot, that's for sure!

Man that is a thing of beauty. I decided the other night that I'm going to do an all real parts build of this version of the DL-44. The only hiccups I'm having is the flash hider, real vintage scope bolts and a real Thorens disk. And now figuring out that spacer. I'm loving your build though.

Here's an interesting shot of the flash hider, that makes the top edge of the transition look concave (and it is), but at the bottom it looks straight.
c79ca3576ad144c5f4b24210e57fa999.jpg

And a couple more pics. Took the scope off so I could weather some hard to reach areas of the bracket/mount, and added some darker tones to the flash hider.

bfdb95e2a6936741bbc6dc5b0a11c347.jpg

1b5def74ea94632093e7303970dc802a.jpg

b34e95c8bc4a828459d1e042e7427437.jpg

dang! Makes me not even want to attempt my Hoth. I have an MGC and an M19 sitting here with an original Thorens disk, and vintage greeblies too. That is one nice blaster.

What?! No, man. Make your blaster! I'm sure it'll look nicer than mine, especially considering you've got an MGC to convert!

Thanks for the compliments!

And, if anything, I'd hope that my work inspires you! I've certainly gained tremendous inspiration from yours, and many others here!

The RPF, inspiring me since 1998! Back when it was a little (AOL?) BBS!

Last edited:
dang! Makes me not even want to attempt my Hoth. I have an MGC and an M19 sitting here with an original Thorens disk, and vintage greeblies too. That is one nice blaster.
I just put real pistons and screws on - I'd seriously suggest filling the Pistons with putty. The screws put a little pressure on the Pistons, might shatter them? Maybe I'm paranoid, they look great but the two I glued together started to pop apart while I was screwing them down with some epoxy.

Mine are real, and I filled them with resin.

That's good advice, sir. They could possibly crack if you don't reinforce them.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back