Ghostbusters (2016) (Post-release)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw the new Ghostbusters... what a trainwreck of a movie

Just got back from the 7:00pm Thursday night showing of the new Ghostbusters movie... man what a disappointment. I've read many of the negative reviews but wanted to go see it for myself and make up my own mind. I don't think I laughed once till probably 30 minutes into the movie... it just wasn't funny the majority of the time. Compared to the original classic this reboot was complete garbage. The best parts of the movie were the cameos from the original actors. The reboot of this franchise had sooooo much potential and I was very excited about it since the first day I heard of it but they totally blew it. I just wished they had picked another classic franchise to ruin with a PC reboot other than Ghostbusters... oh well... that's life.

Re: Just saw the new Ghostbusters... what a trainwreck of a movie

I just expect it to already be garbage, so I then shouldn't really be too disappointed.............right?

My screening was pretty full-- I'd say around 70ish%.

I enjoyed it! It was a very fun watch. McKinnon stole the show. The ghost FX looked really cool.
I loved the old-school animated GB logo!!!

Re: Just saw the new Ghostbusters... what a trainwreck of a movie

Comes as no surprise.

Hopefully this will TANK and be a lesson

feigbusters.JPG

There we go. Audience approval rating at 44% as opposed to before the space being occupied by the over 92% "want to see it" hype rating.

I've also been perusing Reddit and other forums and see a lot of pretty big disappointment overall. I saw one stand out saying "I enjoyed it a lot" followed by a 6.5 out of 10.

6.5 out of 10 is a 65%. If I got a 65% on a test in school that was called not having done good on my test. That's passing at a D grade.

That's what i'm not getting is the low rating followed by these "A lot of fun" and "Really enjoyed it" remarks. 6.5 is not a good score to give if you enjoyed it. Man... give it a 7.5 out of 10 or something, that reaches closer to a B rating to match the comment, but even a 7 isn't GREAT...

Last edited:
View attachment 644272

There we go. Audience approval rating at 44% as opposed to before the space being occupied by the over 92% "want to see it" hype rating.

I've also been perusing Reddit and other forums and see a lot of pretty big disappointment overall. I saw one stand out saying "I enjoyed it a lot" followed by a 6.5 out of 10.

6.5 out of 10 is a 65%. If I got a 65% on a test in school that was called not having done good on my test. That's passing at a D grade.

That's what i'm not getting is the low rating followed by these "A lot of fun" and "Really enjoyed it" remarks. 6.5 is not a good score to give if you enjoyed it. Man... give it a 7.5 out of 10 or something, that reaches closer to a B rating to match the comment, but even a 7 isn't GREAT...

A lot of folks these days seem to be satisfied with mediocre, which is a catch-22: they accept it because it's all they get, but if they keep accepting it it's all they will get :unsure

A lot of folks these days seem to be satisfied with mediocre, which is a catch-22: they accept it because it's all they get, but if they keep accepting it it's all they will get :unsure

or accept it because they are too afraid to go after a franchise they love and call them out on mediocrity.
I used to be like that.

then i got told to f off by meghan fox and a producer of a kid show. yeah. why reward that?

I saw something on imdb that feig put himself in the end credits with an iron man like tony stark scene? any other movie i'd call bullcrap on this. but considering feig put himself in the heat, and it's a feig movie that likes to rip things off....and he's getting his own funko pop figure.nothing would surprise me at this point.

One has to sift through 17 pages of discussion to find the handful reviews from RPF members. Guess more reviews will be common after today's release.

Still, another thread created by copying the review posts. Will update it for the first week or two.

View attachment 644272

If you read that article from 538 they mention this a lot. The disconnect between fresh and the number. It seems like sites would be better served with a like it or didn't like it. Kind of the same thing for video games now as well. Scores are so misunderstood that everything has to be a 9 or a 10 or people say it is not good.

View attachment 644272

In the end, the Fresh/Rotten or numerical rating or whathaveyou won't matter. It's literally ONLY the box office that matters. And, I would argue, it's the 2nd week drop-off that will be the most telling. First week, everyone goes in (mostly) blind. There aren't a ton of reviews out, or people just don't care what professional reviewers say.

2nd week, though, they're talking to their friends who saw it, and you see how the audience responds. If word of mouth is good enough, the film will lose less than 50% (figure 30%-ish is a good number) of its opening weekend take, which will prove it has some staying power. If the word of mouth is bad, you'll see a more than 50% loss. Most films, as I understand it, expect to lose around 50% of their first weekend take by the 2nd weekend, so a really precipitous dropoff is a sign of a poorly received film that has really bad word of mouth. A really bad opening weekend can also hurt, but a weak opening weekend when you're up against stiff competition can be offset by a solid 2nd weekend that shows only a modest dropoff in box office.

So, like, a good run for this film would be ~$60M first week (not great, but not awful), ~$48M week 2 (only about a 20% drop), ~$33M week 3, ~$10M week 4. That'd put you at a total of $151M which would actually exceed the film's budget (not including marketing, but you might have noticed they did relatively little purchased marketing -- I don't know if they paid for the things like the Progressive ad, or if that was more of a licensing agreement where Progressive got to take advantage of the GB IP for its own ad, but either way it probably cut marketing costs). And let's assume that's the domestic take, which doesn't include the overseas take.

That's a successful movie, even if the ratings stay around, oh, 48% positive audience response.

But who other than the media presumed this. This blanket statement that Sony and Feig said all negative comments are misogynists and called everyone sexist - someone please post link. Cuz all I've seen are articles where they state sexists can get lost.

I'm going...I'm going...

I'll do my best to answer honestly here.

I think what it began to seem like was that those defending the film were really only interested in having an argument about the sexism, as if there were no other criticisms out there. Even just ignoring the criticisms of the film (e.g., "Shoulda been a sequel, not a reboot"; "Looks pretty uninspired, given how often it seems to nod to the first film"; "That trailer was confusing and not funny. Is it a reboot or a sequel? I couldn't tell."; "Why can't Leslie Jones be a scientist?"; etc.) basically made it seem like "The only people criticizing this film are sexist trolls." The Washington Post article even basically dismisses the criticisms I've listed and says "But it's clear that most people hate this film because of sexism." Now, granted, the most VISIBLE critics were, indeed, the sexist trolls. They were clearly the squeakiest wheels. But there wasn't a ton else that came out in response to the criticisms, except the counter argument of "fan ownership is nonsense, and y'all need to grow the hell up." That one usually was employed against people like Angry Videogame Nerd's youtube declaration that he wouldn't see the film based on the trailers.

By and large, the film's defenders focused on the sexism angle, and mostly ignored the other criticisms. This could be because the sexists were the most visible (even if not the most numerous), or it could be because they were most put off by those comments, and the rest of the comments they just treated as garden-variety internet griping (which, to be fair, it is) and therefore not worthy of response. But at a certain point, it seemed like the defenders of the film WANTED the argument to be about the sexist response. Personally, I think someone in the marketing department recognized that this could actually work as positive marketing for the film itself. Go see the film and strike a blow for feminism! Show those trolls what's what! That sort of thing. Even if it only worked a little at the margins, it's still free coverage that puts your film as the poor, beleaguered underdog being beaten upon by these nasty trolls. It's actually pretty smart marketing judo, in my opinion.

Anyway, the implication seemed that the only arguments against the film were the sexist ones, ergo anyone with an argument about why the film didn't look good must be sexist.

At this point, though, it really doesn't matter anymore. The film will rise or fall on its own. The sexism angle will play somewhat in the press, but it's been far more muted in reviews than I would have expected. So, my guess is that the moviegoing public will remain largely ignorant of it, and it won't shape their opinions a ton.

Ultimately, my guess is that the film will end up being regarded as...you know....just another late 2010s comedy. Nothing special. Nothing terrible. Part of the remake-a-palooza that Hollywood loves, but which ultimately is forgotten in time, not because it was bad but because it just....wasn't anything special. It'll get a sequel, I expect, maybe two, and then the whole thing will fade away until yet another round of reboots comes along.

By and large, the film's defenders focused on the sexism angle, and mostly ignored the other criticisms.

just being feigs advocate here, i've only run into three people who talk about this film normally in support of it. they say 'they like feig and are unabashedly a fan of his movies and are looking forward to this movie'. I am so taken aback from the honest answer, i leave them along in peace.

the fact that this isn't the usual response when you try and hate on it with logic, is part of the reason i've reached this point of lashing out at everything and anything. even solo's usually calm and rational posts have changed a bit in other areas over the past 5 months ( I seem to remember screaming at one point :)) .

lets face it, the last year has been tough for everyone. we where all one big, mostly happy group. we trusted ivan, for the most part we trusted the boy who cried wolf dan. people where in good spirits even without a third film.

Then feig came along, and he effectively divided and conquered, even if he didn't set out to do it..

Although, to be fair to feig, i still stand by that the sexism crap on the films part didn't really start up until the ugly section of the internet started making memes of sick kids in hospitals. i think those weirdos claiming to be ghostbusters fans pushed things in the other direction. and rather than ignore these people who annoy you, Feig and company kept looking at it and looking at it and looking at it and that's when he lost even more focus not being the right person for the job in the first place.

either way, today will be more of a normal reaction on how this thing is going to go. if you do go, if your theater is full, or empty, post pictures. it'll give us an idea.

Seriously... Do some people on the RPF, not work? :lol

I see these looooooong posts from people all day long and think, "damn, while I am working, I am lucky if I can post a one sentence reply". If you add up the reply times of some posters here, in this thread alone, that would equal half a work day.

How do people do it?

I can't find any UK numbers, but Variety says $3 million. personally, i don't trust any article that says 'largely positive reviews'...

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/box-office-ghostbusters-secret-life-pets-infiltrator-1201814925/

I'm hoping anyone who wants to see this thing will see it in it's first few days..

also from imdb. includes a link for UK numbers. not sure how reliable it is
13669062_10154201803565211_6359349462348358812_n.jpg

I am going to be so dissapointed if this thing makes $50 million this weekend. if it makes more than that, there is just no hope for society anymore.

Last edited:
This post gave me cancer
Classy.

I was definitely in the "not going to be canon" camp, but a few bits completely took me by surprise.
Aykroyd's cabbie corrected Wiig on ghost classification? Aykroyd and Murray's characters both having strong paranormal knowledge, the government dudes saying this has happened before.
.. very interesting!

Most of the things that were worrying me from the trailers were mostly non-issues in the context of the movie. The lone "fart" joke was actually pretty funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back