Ghostbusters (2016) (Post-release)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so.....hopefully the brouhaha surrounding some comments a ways back has now abated and we can move back to discussing the film.

Where are we on our First Weekend BO Take betting pool?

You said $50M, right? I said $90M. I was thinking a good RT score and strong women audience presence could give it some juice. My son loves ghost but it might be too intense for him at 3. There could be a good family showing as well. Or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Yea, ok Feige Jr.

We we all have different levels of comfort with our masculinity. :) I have only heard him interviewed once and don't know what his story is besides he likes suits. But you comment did make me LOL, well played. :)

Last edited:
You said $50M, right? I said $90M. I was thinking a good RT score and strong women audience presence could give it some juice. My son loves ghost but it might be too intense for him at 3.

I think I was guessing $50-60M. Might bump that up, actually, based on some of the positive reviews I've seen. Say, somewhere in the neighborhood of $65-75M. (You could take 80-90 or 90-100 if you want.)

Bottom line, I think it'll be decently successful in its first weekend. It won't, like, make its entire budget back in a single weekend, but after something like 4-6 weeks it'll at the very least break even, and probably turn a profit.

Oh yeah, totally. Remove any mention of disgusting misogyny and carry on like it didn't happen... :rolleyes Just like in the real world.
Look, don't jump on a guy for calling out REALLY offensive remarks. Perhaps a better option would have been to report the post to the mods (before it was self-censored) and not poke the bear, but when someone goes from very obsessive film hating to outright personal attacks on a woman involved with the film... I can forgive someone for publicly calling out the (thinly veiled) slander. Heck, if I hadn't had to go cook for my Nan, I was going to report the post myself.

You know full well that what was implied was not 'knowing the right people', Indeed, the fact that the pointed use of phrasing.. that she 'started out as a secretary' and 'somehow' got to the top' can be used in such a context is loaded with cultural misogyny. It demeans the (highly skilled) position of secretary (note - NOT just 'typist'), it demeans women, and it deliberately implies (along with the repeated mentions of alcohol) that she didn't earn her position through hard work and doesn't know what she's doing.
This is why people still have to call out archaic attitudes like this, and will need to do so until the last 'and how do you think she got that job - nudge, nudge' BS is buried.

I didnt see the full quote, all I saw was what Bryancd quoted. So maybe thats why you took it there and I didnt. Im still not sure what youre talking about then. Maybe I dont have that mindset to automatically think beyond what was said. "Somehow" can be a multitude of things...Maybe she paid people off to get people fired. Maybe she had the guts to do what others wouldnt. Maybe she was an insufferable B-word that told it like it was and got things done. Loaded with cultural misogyny? How can you imply all those things? It baffles me. Then again, I didnt see the entire post, Im just going off the quote.

I think I was guessing $50-60M. Might bump that up, actually, based on some of the positive reviews I've seen. Say, somewhere in the neighborhood of $65-75M. (You could take 80-90 or 90-100 if you want.)

Bottom line, I think it'll be decently successful in its first weekend. It won't, like, make its entire budget back in a single weekend, but after something like 4-6 weeks it'll at the very least break even, and probably turn a profit.

I'll stand. :) So yeah, break even US, makes a few shekels overseas.

I think it could be one of those surprises either way... like a "oh crap! 14.3 mill opening?!?" or a "Holy crap! 103 mill opening?!"

But even looking at tickets I could buy for tonight, I somehow doubt it will be high end.

Screw it... I'll play it safe and say... 57 million...

Regardless, there will be sequel announcement within a couple months regardless.

Ok, so.....hopefully the brouhaha surrounding some comments a ways back has now abated and we can move back to discussing the film.

Where are we on our First Weekend BO Take betting pool?

$1 bob.... err, Drew.

Overbid? Damn.

Realistically i'm hoping $10million opening weekend, if empty uk theaters are a clue.

Smaller theaters around here have feigbusters for two showings on two screens each. where as finding dory and secret life of pets still have 5 showings each on one screen.

AMC seems to have upped to about ten 2D showings and 5 3D and imax showings.

so at least in theaters in big markets it'll have plenty of shots to pack in the seats.

I just hope most of those are empty.

We we all have different levels of comfort with our masculinity. :) I have only heard him interviewed once and don't know what his story is besides he likes suits. But you comment did make me LOL, well played. :)

I'm comfortable with my masculinity. I don't appreciate hypocrites, which Fieg is.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...busters-haters-misogyny-and-insults/72802648/

Sony backing up and creating their own sexist argument

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sonys-tom-rothman-sexist-critics-842392

Deleting actual criticism of the film by women too?

First, they deny it..

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...re-hating-the-ghostbusters-trailer-guess-why/

Female users are upset

https://gamergate-news.tumblr.com/post/140590296635/im-now-part-of-the-sony-deleted-my-comment-on

And some more in-depth about what Sony and it's defendants have been doing, blaming it on "Misogyny" because they have no actual ground to stand on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwi6A6KZpIQ

So please combat fake sexism with "actual" sexism in this film, cause it's SOOOOOOOOO progressive /s

#TriggerlyPuff

Okay quick question... in ALLLL seriousness...

I only looked at the first two of the above articles, and I just need to hear form the detractors on what this issue is....

Okay, so from Feig's perspective, he announced the cast of his version of the film saying something like "yes it will star funny women".

FACT: There WAS backlash, and there WERE people saying sexist misogynist things. Now I'm not saying EVERYONE was, clearly they weren't. Some didn't like the direction the film was going, some didn't like a reboot and not a continuation, some say it should be left alone without Ramis...

But there were, without a doubt, A LOT of people attacking the film for having women. It's just a sad fact. They were loud, they filled the Youtube comments... they needed their voices heard and were the loudest.

After enough of that, Feig, Cast and all said "F-ck the sexists and misognynists".

They did not say "F all of you fans! Take it or leave it!"... they didn't say "F- you people who wanted a sequel...."

They went after the misogynists and sexists.

So why does that hurt anyone's feelings unless you're one of the two?

And why is it so bad if they are deleting hate-speach from the comments? Were they taking down ALL negativity? or just sexist/misogynist/racist stuff?

Okay quick question... in ALLLL seriousness...

I only looked at the first two of the above articles, and I just need to hear form the detractors on what this issue is....

Okay, so from Feig's perspective, he announced the cast of his version of the film saying something like "yes it will star funny women".

FACT: There WAS backlash, and there WERE people saying sexist misogynist things. Now I'm not saying EVERYONE was, clearly they weren't. Some didn't like the direction the film was going, some didn't like a reboot and not a continuation, some say it should be left alone without Ramis...

But there were, without a doubt, A LOT of people attacking the film for having women. It's just a sad fact. They were loud, they filled the Youtube comments... they needed their voices heard and were the loudest.

After enough of that, Feig, Cast and all said "F-ck the sexists and misognynists".

They did not say "F all of you fans! Take it or leave it!"... they didn't say "F- you people who wanted a sequel...."

They went after the misogynists and sexists.

So why does that hurt anyone's feelings unless you're one of the two?

And why is it so bad if they are deleting hate-speach from the comments? Were they taking down ALL negativity? or just sexist/misogynist/racist stuff?

You really need to read the rest and open your eyes...

Well i didn't watch the last one cuz it's a 23 minute video and I'm at work... and the one before it was someone commenting "deleting literally everything" which is hyperbole cuz literally everything would mean no good comments either... which clearly isn't the case.

I don't know what was deleted and see no proof, so can't comment...

So unless a biased 23 minute video clears it up, it doesn't answer my questions. Why can't they call out Sexists and Misogynists?

Last edited by a moderator:

While I would agree that new generations should enjoy Ghostbusters and if that means a whole new crew then so be it, but they should enjoy a great film.

Regardless of women or men Ghostbusters, it just looks like a really forgettable and unfunny movie with an agenda not geared toward telling a great story, and with 3 great comedians (No, Leslie Jones is not funny and her humor feels as obnoxiously loud as forced as she delivers it on SNL) that look held back from doing funnier stuff than was written for them (unless the improv they did seen in the trailers are that bad).

So for me it doesn't look like a bad Ghostbusters movie... It just looks like a really bad movie in general. The fact that IS a Ghostbusters is what makes this even more cringing to watch.

Well i didn't watch the last one cuz it's a 23 minute video and I'm at work... and the one before it was someone commenting "deleting literally everything" which is hyperbole cuz literally everything would mean no good comments either... which clearly isn't the case.

I don't know what was deleted and see no proof, so can't comment...

So unless a biased 23 minute video clears it up, it doesn't answer my questions. Why can't they call out Sexists and Misogynists?

Bias? You sure about that?

I don't know about you, but articles like this: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/may/02/ghostbusters-trailer-most-disliked-in-youtube-history

Like to make claimes like this:

"There is a lot of hatred directed towards the new trailer, primarily because it stars four women (though the haters would have you believe misogyny is not the real driving force behind their invective) and seemingly not at all connected to its quality."

Which is, by the way is covered in that "bias" video.

So tell me, because of this statement, the fact that I personally don't like the movie because it looks like garbage and even more so after the misandry that is played out within it, I am now labeled a sexist misogynist? That and every single person who doesn't like the movie is too?

That smells an awful lot like hypocrisy if you ask me!

There's a difference between "real" sexism and manufactured sexism. Don't play Sony's game because of their failure as a studio to produce movies with actual substance and quality for the sake of scraping a few bucks that they so desperately need to keep from shutting down.

If people were really as "sexist" as, well, people like the one above and sony wants you to believe, then how come there wasn't this much "Misogyny" against the Force Awakens? Why does a film which has both a female and black leading actors of STAR WARS, arguably the largest franchise in existence, not draw all this alleged level sexism? Or even racism?

Oh wait!

BECAUSE IT WASN'T A CRAPPY CASH GRAB AND WAS OF ACTUAL QUALITY FILM MAKING

Last edited by a moderator:
If people were really as "sexist" as, well, people like the one above and sony wants you to believe, then how come there wasn't this much "Misogyny" against the Force Awakens? Why does a film which has both a female and black leading actors of STAR WARS, arguably the largest franchise in existence, not draw all this alleged sexism? Or even racism?

Oh wait!

BECAUSE IT WASN'T A CRAPPY CASH GRAB AND WAS OF ACTUAL QUALITY FILM MAKING

We had more then one member here whose critique of Rey and Fin danced pretty close to those lines, so...

We had more then one member here whose critique of Rey and Fin danced pretty close to those lines, so...

Do you have evidence of this? I sure haven't heard anyone that I know or spoke to about TFA that were against it for the fact that Rey is a chick. EVEN SO, why didn't LFL or Disney for that matter go out and blame sexism for any of the criticism of TFA then?

Did all of these sexists all of a sudden come out of the woodworks for Ghostbusters?

You don't go and blame what is essentially your entire fanbase as sexist just because you can't take the heat of criticism for your poor film productions

Do you have evidence of this? I sure haven't heard anyone that I know or spoke to about TFA that were against it for the fact that Rey is a chick. EVEN SO, why didn't LFL or Disney for that matter go out and blame sexism for any of the criticism of TFA then?

The thread is still around and you can peruse it at your leisure, but it's in there. And yes, there was an actual element of the fanbase that were vocal and angry that Fin was a black stormtrooper. The attacks on Rey mostly centered on the argument that she was a Mary Sue character, which is and of itself is insulting. But enough about TFA, you can go look at that thread and see there is some precedence for this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back