Ghostbusters (2016) (Post-release)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That manicured beard makes a terrible review. The RedLetterMedia guys gave it a much more thorough and objective review.

One thing from the film that still bothers me is that the proton pack stream was able to simply dissolve/defeat the ghosts in the final showdown. Sure, the 'ghost-chipper' could do that, ok. But did the ladies actually catch any ghosts, besides the dragon? I am already forgetting the details, this movie is not sticking with me. The sign of great film is when you continue to think about it days after. This movie doesn't, for me. Completely forgettable, but I will acknowledge that it did make me order Chinese food.

It's a sign, alright. We are living in the Idiocracy timeline.

Okay so I put on GHOSTBUSTERS 2 last night in prep for my Sunday screening of GB 16.

This will be part 1... because, well, I was bored and went to bed halfway through.

- So the flick starts off with a title card, "5 YEARS LATER". This seems weird for any movie. Was my copy missing something? Sequels still have to stand on their own... They should have done like BTTF - give us a bit of a recap or show the last scene of the previous movie.

- While the ghost tease in the first is great and leaves you thinking "WHAT DID THE LIBRARIAN SEE?!? WHAT HAPPENED TO HER?!?!" this is like "Oh... a baby. I don't care about this baby I have no connection to". Sure we have no connection the librarian, but the scene was about what she saw... this is about "Oh no! My baby!"... Also, not giving any insight into why Dana now has a baby is weird. You could say, "well that's to leave a little mystery!"... but to me it's just sloppy.

- So everyone thinks the Ghostbusters are full of crap after 5 years? Are there Stay Puft truthers? This is weird like the force being mocked as an "ancient religion" 20 years after the Jedi were killed.

- Did they bring live, proton packs to a kids party?!

- Egon is questioning Dana's experience like she's crazy. Dana...who became Zuul. Dana was one of their first customers and turned into a dog. He seems a bit dismissive of her, like she's a walk-in stranger. It's like they just decided to reset everything because you need to start a story with everyone at a low point so they can have a big turn by the end. It's like "Star Trek into Darkness" - we need to have Kirk not in the captains chair so he can be talked into joining Starfleet and win the chair again... lazy!

- Hey there's a psychic girl who predicted the end of the world on FEB 14, 2016! WRONG! *idiot*

- Ha... forgot the guy from Ally Mcbeal played a painter guy in this. I guess my mind blocked him out.

- Egon measured the kid by eyeballing him sitting down?... calls out 24 inches... Very scientific, Egon.

- "We had a slinky. I straightened it out" - Funny. I want to pay homage to this line in a show I have to hand in next week. (pay homage = steal) *I didn't say I WOULD.

- The part where they're jack hammering the street feels like full blown cartoon. They should be wearing fake mustaches with their construction suits. This scene reminds me of Wayne's World... They should end up doing Karaoke to "YMCA"

- So the creepy guy in the painting needs a baby to live again? Kinda convenient that Dana has a baby... This baby has the worst luck. First the slime on the carriage, now singled out for this ghost's plan. The baby isn't even special. The baby being Dana's means nothing. It could have been anyone's baby.

- The amount of cartoony slime in this makes me wonder if there was a big push for slime toys at the time. I remember there being a lot of that going around, but not sure the time line. Is it cuz of ninja turtles? Did He-man toys have slime? Was "Double Dare" big at the time? There must be some commercial connection cuz it looks too dumb to have for no reason.

- This movie has a pretty bad Ghostbusters song... is it worse than the new one? I haven't really heard it.

- Ray in this movie seems like a totally different guy.

- What prop guy said "yeah... sure the legs pop the toaster up, but no one will notice..."

-----------------------------

And then I went to bed. The toaster was kind of the kicker. I'll watch the rest... but it's kind of as bad as I remember. Feels especially bad after watching the original last night - which was just great.

Last edited:
- The amount of cartoony slime in this makes me wonder if there was a big push for slime toys at the time. I remember there being a lot of that going around, but not sure the time line. Is it cuz of ninja turtles? Did He-man toys have slime? Was "Double Dare" big at the time?

"Slime" was an unexpected hit element of the first movie due to Venkman's "he slimed me" line. And yeah, from there slime went everywhere. There were very popular cans of slime with the cartoon GB branding. TMNT had the ooze. And yes, even He-Man had a slime-based playset: Hordak's "Slime Pit." The 80s were full of slime!

"Slime" was an unexpected hit element of the first movie due to Venkman's "he slimed me" line. And yeah, from there slime went everywhere. There were very popular cans of slime with the cartoon GB branding. TMNT had the ooze. And yes, even He-Man had a slime-based playset: Hordak's "Slime Pit." The 80s were full of slime!

YES! The Hordak Slime Pit.. Fuzzy memory sharpened.

Pretty much all the Real Ghostbusters toys came with a can of "ectoplasim" or however it's spelled;however for me it wasn't the "he slimed me" line that got me it was the earlier,and more disgusting,"somebody blows their nose and you wanna keep it?" along with Peter trying to flick it off and getting it everywhere :lol

Pretty much all the Real Ghostbusters toys came with a can of "ectoplasim" or however it's spelled;however for me it wasn't the "he slimed me" line that got me it was the earlier,and more disgusting,"somebody blows their nose and you wanna keep it?" along with Peter trying to flick it off and getting it everywhere :lol

Same here! "Dah!"

I saw it and liked it even though it kinda fell apart at the end. Kate McKinnon stole the show though. Really liked her Egon type of character. It gave me a vibe of the ghostbusters cartoon though. The ending really felt like the cartoon. Still good and better than the 2nd one in my opinion though I actually like that one more than I used to.

I'll never forget my first Ghostbusters toy. My parents bought me a little container of slime out of the .25 cent machine at the same time and I went to town.

egonstitch.jpg

Part 2 of my Ghostbusters 2 screening in warm up for GB16

Poured a big ass whiskey, and decided to get through this last hour of WTF.

- I had a weird realization as I watched the courtroom fight. Proton packs are cool as *****, but what do they actually do? They just kind of hold ghosts in place, right? The only real fun with them is when they MISS the ghost and destroy everything the beam hits. They do SO much more destruction than the actual ghosts. In fact, the ghosts in these movies never actually do anything really. They never kill anyone. They just sort of fly around. One of the ghosts they capture was just going for a jog. The ones that arrived on the Titanic just kinda unload and walk down the street in their old timey clothes and luggage. Gozer was a god... the big evil in this movie was some sort of demon like thing... Not a ghost. The things that actually do harm never end up being actual ghosts. Ghosts are just chill!

- So they bust the two cartoon ghosts in the court room and are now going around catching ghosts everywhere. It's just like in the first movie... they're becoming celebrities again, and enjoying the spotlight. The scenes play out exactly the same. But they SHOULD be FREAKING OUT. The last time there were this many ghosts, it was because of the coming of Gozer... They should be panicking that something is coming!

- Oh Slimer's all over this movie... just being Slimer. You liked him in the first right? Here's a bunch more!

- I'm getting pretty drunk now... hard to stay focused. I'm pretty bored/annoyed, so if I'm misunderstanding story points, let me know!

- I can't believe they just insinuated that Egon masturbated with the slime. Weird.

- So Dana shows up in Egon's lab earlier with crazy stories about her baby and weird crap going down, and Egon practically waves her off that it's likely nothing. But now she says "I feel like the painting's eyes are following me" and Venkman has a look like "Oh my god what?"

- Did Dana really announce to her baby that she too was going to take her shirt off and then revealed her bra? That was weird. "Mommy's going to take her shirt off too!" (wolf howls from the theater)

- "3 Ghostbusters and a Baby" - What am I watching?!!?!?

- "You're short. You're belly button sticks out too far, and you're a terrible burden on your mother" END SCENE. Ha ha ha... no "...but you're a good kid." or "...but we got you kid".. nope just "you're a burden" and CUT!

- Every scene in between Venkman and Dana in this movie is BORING... ugh... they were so good in the last flick... what's happening?

- So the guys get covered in slime and start fighting... so they take off their jackets and are fine. Their heads are COMPLETELY COVERED IN SLIME... but that's okay, it's not on their coats, so they're fine. What????

- I still don't get why the focus is on Dana's Baby... is there a reason this baby is singled out?!?! What's happening? Did I zone out and miss something??

- They try using their proton packs on the ooze. I thought proton packs just held the ghosts til they can contain them? I thought the whole point of their science was to "capture a ghost and hold it indefinitely"... but they keep using it like a gun?

- When the Proton pack blasting doesn't affect the ooze, Egon's deduction is that they need good feelings? That's a weird jump from Plan A to Plan B.

- They barely use the proton packs in this flick. And only successfully once (courtroom).

- Oh yay. It's the Slime guns. Amazing. As much as people may not like the GB 16 proton packs, it can't be near as bad as these slime guns. Why did they even go this route? *TOYS* cough *TOYS*

- Wow..they are kinda implying Janine blew Louis before zipping him into the suit. Wait, not kinda... they flat out are implying she blew him.

- Slimer is driving the bus? Okay he may as well have a wife then in the next movie. It's not that big a leap anymore.

- It's kinda weird they would change their logo to a ghost throwing the peace sign. I mean, yes, the ghosts ARE peaceful (they do NOTHING bad) but then why be anti-peaceful ghosts? Or do the Ghostbusters KNOW they are in a sequel? So weird.

- Woah... The people are SINGING to the bad guy? That's how we're beating them? And in ALL of New York you got a small group of 30 out there? There should be more people than that just wandering around the street in New York. New York is as busy a city in this movie as Gotham in Burton's 89 Batman.

- So the Painting guy, Viggy(?), is trying to get into the baby? So is Viggy going to have to grow up as the baby? Like he'll have to wait 18 years to come to any power? What good is it being inside a baby? I must have missed something... I'm drunk.

- Wait so he goes into Ray and they just shoot him anyway? So really, the guy possessing Ray meant nothing. There were no stakes. No one even cared. Ray turned around all possessed and they just blasted him - no concern if their best friend would die?!?!?

- The painting turned into the 4 of them and the baby?!?!?!! What?!?! WHAAAAT??!!? Does this mean their souls are somewhat trapped in there? I would be concerned if I were them.

The was WRITTEN by Akroyd and Ramis?! I was SURE it had to be written by someone else....

-----------------------------

Okay... wow.

Just last week I rewatched all the Indy movies. Crystal Skull was the weakest by far, and a pretty good example of how not to do a sequel. That movie seems brilliant now.

I still don't know if GB 16 will be any good, but come on, it CAN'T be worse than this. This movie was terrible. Everything great about the first movie was absent here. Did they even want to make this?

It will be harder to "point form review" the next movie as I'm not gonna be able to stop it to type... and I can't be drunk :cheers... But I'm gonna attempt to type out the good and the bad as I remember it anyway.

I remember seeing Ghostbusters 2 in the theater and thinking it just sucked. Later that week I watched 89 Batman and became obsessed with all things Batman.. completely forgot about this terrible sequel...

I should have let it remain forgotten.

Well, one good thing, as Master Yogurt said.... Merchandising!
And not for this fresh mess, but the original. SDCC had lots of new classic GB stuff previewed that will be coming down the pike.

Well, one good thing, as Master Yogurt said.... Merchandising!
And not for this fresh mess, but the original. SDCC had lots of new classic GB stuff previewed that will be coming down the pike.

I've reached the point where i don't even want to buy anything based on the original if it's all going to these questionable people now in charge of ghostbusters.
it was just too much hate from sony. it's hard to enjoy the franchise now. part of the problem of following it too closely...

GBII was a giant Real Ghostbusters toy commercial with some adult humor stuck in it even after all these years when I re-watched it I can't say it was great,passable? probably,better then the new one? I have to wait until I see it but I can say the whole toy selling angle seems way stronger with the new all female version,like they used bits from both the films,a dash of RGB and a whole lot of Extreme GB.

I contend that if they had made another GB in the 90's it would have been the same as with other mid/late 80's films and just gotten more stupid,but GB it seems they picked up twenty odd years later and followed the "more stupid" route....

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/mattel-strong-ghostbusters-toy-sales-1201820557/

this is pretty funny. mattel is doing so well that matty collector announced it's closing doors. I guess they didn't see the clearance signs ;o)

i won't miss matty collector, but super 7 seems like it's not much better. they are charging $15's for a crappy 3.75 inch sorceress figure.

I'm ashamed this film has made this much money so far. but hopefully it will vanish to nothing once star trek hits.

To help quell any misinformation or confusion-- Matty Collector closing had nothing to do with GB. It sounds like they're focusing more on broad consumer rather than niche collector stuff. Sounds like GB16 stuff is doing better than expected!

I guess they didn't see the clearance signs ;o)
Target admitted that the clearance debacle was a mistake on their end.

"But Target told Page Six when reached for comment it was all a big mistake. “This is an error and we are working quickly to address it. We apologize for any guest confusion,” said a rep."

http://pagesix.com/2016/07/07/ghostbusters-toys-are-already-on-the-clearance-rack/

Last edited by a moderator:
GBII was a giant Real Ghostbusters toy commercial with some adult humor stuck in it even after all these years when I re-watched it I can't say it was great,passable? probably,better then the new one? I have to wait until I see it but I can say the whole toy selling angle seems way stronger with the new all female version,like they used bits from both the films,a dash of RGB and a whole lot of Extreme GB.

I contend that if they had made another GB in the 90's it would have been the same as with other mid/late 80's films and just gotten more stupid,but GB it seems they picked up twenty odd years later and followed the "more stupid" route....

This.

IMO the franchise had a decent 3rd movie possibly in it. But that wasn't where things were headed after #2 and I don't know of any specific time & script that was "it". The GB3 we wanted was always more imaginary on the part of the fans than anything else.

Ackroyd was cheerleading it for literally decades but he wasn't offering much beyond hope alone. Even the ideas he was kicking around didn't go over very well.

GBII was a giant Real Ghostbusters toy commercial with some adult humor stuck in it even after all these years when I re-watched it I can't say it was great,passable? probably,better then the new one?

I can't say i disagree with that. (you even see murray mouth ****)

They where afraid to go new places BECAUSE of the cartoon. they didn't even show the containment unit.

I kind of look upon GB2 like TFA. characters are either in the exact same spot, or degraded from where they where (doing birthday parties).
Meanwhile, the syndicated version of RGB expanded it a bit more. especially giving winston more depth. I love the ep with his construction based non believing father.
one of the few ABC episodes that sticks out in my memory.

another sad part, is i don't see them doing a cartoon based on this series this time around. assuming this new animated idea ever gets off the ground.

What I'd love for them to do is a dapper dan adaption. take some of the better comic series (especially the one with janine, Kyle, and that Chicago franchise guy) and go from there.

GB16 is going to be facing stiff competition with Star Trek Beyond and Ice Age both coming out today. With another Sci Fi classic and kids movie in theaters, Im really wondering what the total haul will be for GB16.

FWIW, Mattel says the toy line has 'exceeded expectations'. So mabe the Target clearance thing was a mistake.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/mattel-strong-ghostbusters-toy-sales-1201820557/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back