Ghostbusters (2016) (Post-release)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Ghostbusters Post Release

Solo4114 Usually both merchandising and commercial licensing is accounted for separately. If the box office returns warrant a sequel they will proceed and find better fits for liscening with other vendors.

Last edited by a moderator:

@Solo4114 Usually both merchandising and commercial licensing is accounted for separately. If the box office returns warrant a sequel they will proceed and find better fits for liscening with other vendors.

Thanks! Figured I could count on you for an answer. :)

Depending on where you look, I suspect you're gonna see some confirmation bias here. If you want to find negative reviews, user-written reviews on sites like IMDB or Reddit are probably a good bet.

- Box office numbers. Because, in the end, this is literally all that matters. If this film goes above, say, $80-100m domestically, especially in its first week, that's pretty much a guarantee that there will be sequels. The budget for this film was around $145-150m. So, if it can make back the bulk of that in domestic box office, especially within 2 weeks, then it's probably a safe bet to turn a profit when you factor in international box office.

One side thought, though: there's been a fairly strong merchandising push for this film, with commercial tie-ins, as well as actual consumer merchandise. If the film does...you know...respectably BUT the merchandise does poorly, what's that do to the chances for sequels? I would think that would actually cut into the budget in a sense, and might make a studio more reluctant to greenlight a sequel. Or is licensing stuff considered separately/as gravy?

first part, no doubt ;o).

Second part.... I've been trying to find UK box office numbers, but i don't know how they post them, or even if it's called 'box office' . they might have a different term. or, they might not even release daily numbers. for all i know they could put it out on friday.

third part.
I wonder if they just look at the toy sales. or do they look at EVERYTHING? do they look at how much papa johns brings in? how many people flock to progressive?
is it just one thing, or do they look at the whole?

with the toys already on clearance, i doubt much of the nu stuff is selling. stuff like slimer and stay puft, maybe the car might do well.

The only other UK review isaw claimed 'it was better than the original movie'.

which means either they where a paul feig fan to begin with, a young fan who never saw the original movie, or just plain a young fan.

Wow. Just when I thought your opinion could not matter less you come up with this little gem.
I guess in YOUR world it isn't humanly possible for any living being to like this movie over the originals. If someone says they do then they MUST have an agenda, right? So if someone tells you they like this one better you are going to call them a liar, is that about right? why stop there? I suppose next you're going to start telling people their opinion is wrong.

You, sir, are a real piece of work.

I guess in YOUR world it isn't humanly possible for any living being to like this movie over the originals. If someone says they do then they MUST have an agenda, right?
...or even just enjoying the reboot in general. I don't think there's any way for me to rank it above the original movie, but I'm expecting to at the very least have fun with it.

Wow. Just when I thought your opinion could not matter less you come up with this little gem.
I guess in YOUR world it isn't humanly possible for any living being to like this movie over the originals. If someone says they do then they MUST have an agenda, right? So if someone tells you they like this one better you are going to call them a liar, is that about right? why stop there? I suppose next you're going to start telling people their opinion is wrong.

you're allowed to like it.

you're allowed to think it's better than the original.

you're allowed to think my opinion is ****.

i'm allowed to think that if someone thinks this is better than the original movie, i think they are crazy.

I've noticed it a trend with people who like the new movie to bash the original in some way. they are also allowed to do that.

all i'm doing is drawing conclusions based on what i see.
you, may of course draw different conclusions. most people tend to think i run over baby deer for fun.

feel free to ignore me.....lots of people do. i'm used to it.

but, at least you're better than turtle fans. they told me to commit suicide for daring to voice a negative opinion.

you learn to roll with the punches. have a good day sir.

Who wantsss popcorn?

Honestly, I'm glad that it appears to be a "decent" movie.

sounds like a typical paul feig disaster.

You, sir, are drunk...

He came out of the gates with FREAKS AND GEEKS - Maybe one of the best shows to ever land on TV. And don't give me that "Cancelled" crap, cuz you know how many genius series get cancelled.

As for his comedies, if YOU don't find them funny, that's fine. but none were DISASTERS. The guy is bankable for sure.

If you were interviewing him and said "How do you feel about your disasters?" He would probably have to stare at you with a blank look...

"What disasters? What are you referring too?"

"The ones that failed at the box office..."

"Which ones failed?"

"You know... the ones that made the studios question your abilities as a director...."

"I don't follow... "

"Oh I mean... how do you feel about movies I personally don't like?"

...or even just enjoying the reboot in general. I don't think there's any way for me to rank it above the original movie, but I'm expecting to at the very least have fun with it.

I'm being torn apart. It's too late.

For me I've already Kylo Ren'd. The crossguard saber has entered Feig, he has fallen and my allegiance to 1984 GB remains true. I see no light for this new film.

That was a bit dramatic, hahaha! I know it's possible to like both and anyone who likes it that's fine. Everyone is entitled to love whatever they want!

You, sir, are drunk...
"

even disasters make money.

just look at bay turtles.

If I think it's a disaster.. that's my opinion.

If I think a person is nuts, that's my opinion.

If I choose to never see another paul feig movie again because ithink they are all the same, that's my opinion.

yours may vary.

have a good day.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm being torn apart. It's too late.

For me I've already Kylo Ren'd. The crossguard saber has entered Feig, he has fallen and my allegiance to 1984 GB remains true. I see no light for this new film.

That was a bit dramatic, hahaha! I know it's possible to like both and anyone who likes it that's fine. Everyone is entitled to love whatever they want!

waiting for people to start attacking and calling you names next. ... join in on the fun ;o)

Yes disasters do make money, but Bay is going off explosions and IP's... Anyone will make money with "TRANSFORMERS" tagged to the front.

Feig has made money from original properties. That's a win on any level in movies these days. That says you can tap into something.

I haven't seen any of the comedies but Bridesmaids... Bridesmaids is REALLY funny, solid flick. The others I didn't check out cuz not my thing... but I'm not going to say they suck either, because I haven't seen them.

And if I go by reviews and box office. They aren't disasters.

first part, no doubt ;o).

Second part.... I've been trying to find UK box office numbers, but i don't know how they post them, or even if it's called 'box office' . they might have a different term. or, they might not even release daily numbers. for all i know they could put it out on friday.

third part.
I wonder if they just look at the toy sales. or do they look at EVERYTHING? do they look at how much papa johns brings in? how many people flock to progressive?
is it just one thing, or do they look at the whole?

with the toys already on clearance, i doubt much of the nu stuff is selling. stuff like slimer and stay puft, maybe the car might do well.

I answered that question.

If I think it's a disaster.. that's my opinion.

If I think a person is nuts, that's my opinion.

If I choose to never see another paul feig movie again because ithink they are all the same, that's my opinion.

Sure, nothing wrong with having an opinion BUT you are trying to push your opinions as fact and posting every crack pot theory to PROVE that your opinion is fact.

I will say, the only place marking the toys down already is Target. Our Wal-Marts still have them normal price. They can't stay stocked around here, granted though could be toy resellers though buying them up. So I haven't seen any of the peg warming not to say it's not happening elsewhere. I do think the line came out way too early.

There is another wave of toys coming out from various manufacturers plus the school supply line just came out with backpacks etc.

What I was told a few years back from merchandisers is that Sony was looking at how stuff like the games and Matty items etc sold to get a gauge of interest in the property still.

Never saw this - kinda cool:

GBRooftopS1-3.jpg

Janine over Gozer?... or whatever the weird sparkly lady went by.... It's been a while since I've seen it.

Yes disasters do make money, but Bay is going off explosions and IP's... Anyone will make money with "TRANSFORMERS" tagged to the front.

Feig has made money from original properties. That's a win on any level in movies these days. That says you can tap into something.

I haven't seen any of the comedies but Bridesmaids... Bridesmaids is REALLY funny, solid flick. The others I didn't check out cuz not my thing... but I'm not going to say they suck either, because I haven't seen them.

And if I go by reviews and box office. They aren't disasters.

The original properties, yes, that's a good thing.

But Feig movies arn't really my cup of tea either, going by the trailers.
however, I'm willing to give any thing a chance.

Someone said I can't fully judge a Paul Feig movie just by trailers alone. OK. I'll bite.

I checked out spy. without knowing anything a bout feig then, I actually liked that trailer and laughed in some spots. had to be good.
I honestly couldn't get through it in the first sitting. it took five tries.

I thought, OK. maybe it's just one. Maybe the heat written by this movies writer is better.

Well, to be honest, The Heat DID get one or two laughs from me against my better judgment.
I laughed at the guy going through the window trying to escape from mcarthy. And I laughed at the drunken bear glass clank/shatter.
But I've NEVER seen a movie where the principle actors actually LOOKED Uncomfortable saying the dialouge. Mcarthy can't even say her string of obscenities with conviction. she stumbles through it like she's thinking of the line as she says it, and paul says 'OK, lets use that take!' 'Really? that take? I can..' 'No, no, we're loosing daylight..come on!'

but that was about it.
I've never really been a fan of rough house or raunchy comedies. with the rare exception of something like Beavis and Butthead which i think is hilarious for some strange reason i can't identify. Animal house like comedies, Chris Farley comedies, Family guy type comedies, arn't my thing.

To me, Feig movies ( he may have been different when the SERIES where done, but now he's found a niche) are all of that to 'The EXTREME' (to quote a 90s term). all the swearing, the C bombs, the S bombs, the Middle finger gestures, the toilet humor, just really isn't my thing and i don't find it all that creative. I can't imagine how some of his movies can have an unrated cut...what else can you add?

they may not be disasters by box office standards, but they are by my book.
of course, as always everyone elses variation may vary..

but after seeing as how this particular movie came about, and how all the fans AND creators of original content dan and ivan have been treated?
I feel it needs to be bashed to the tenth level of hell and back. and even that's too good for it.

Please feel free to put me on ignore if anyone here is annoyed by me that much. i won't take it personally ;o). and if you start a paul feig appreciation thread, and i don't stay out of it it, feel free to pelt me with ten thousand dvd's of paul feig movies ;o). I'll take the punishment and you can even film it :).

Yeah, the Gozer Temple set is REALLY cool. I probably won't go after the whole thing, but does anyone know which figure comes with a Terror Dog stone gargoyle?

I wouldn't even call it "loving" the reboot. I'm just anticipating it. I might not like it at all, but I'm fully expecting to revert back to 7 year-old d_osborn once the proton packs are fired up. :cool

...but there's no doubt in my mind, the 84 movie is MY GB. I won't be lovingly displaying the GB16 one-sheet in my office.

waiting for people to start attacking and calling you names next. ... join in on the fun ;o)
Says the guy that openly and continuously makes fun of the director's name. :lol Dude likes to play the victim.

I will say, the only place marking the toys down already is Target. Our Wal-Marts still have them normal price.
Hasn't it been pretty much confirmed that Target stores have wacky pricing structures, and that it wasn't the toy companies slashing prices to move product? I've seen that Target stores moved the prices back to MSRP this week. THESE TOYS ARE ON SALE-- THE MOVIE SUCKS!

Last edited:

Remember when we were talking at the Prop party back in March? This is exactly what I was talking about.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back