Ghostbusters (2016) (Post-release)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Ghostbusters Post Release

Not to be argumentative...

Youtube is a viable outlet for entertainment now... can't be ignored.

I'm going to check this out completely open minded, and going to review if fresh... I haven't read a review and I won't. I don't want other's opinions. I consider myself a good candidate for a review as I like, but don't love Ghostbusters (though I do love the tech)... have mixed feelings about the second (I may actually hate it).

As for the ladies... I like Kristin... She's can be quite funny. I like Feig... to a point. I'm not really a McCarthy fan but I like Bridesmaids a lot.

I've never had an issue with it being ladies... and didn't hate the trailers... just didn't like them either.

So having no opinion whatsoever, I'm ready for this. This is the kind of movie I LIKE to see... one where it'd be great if I like it, but if I don't... whatever. On to the next!

- - - Updated - - -

Also, it's only fair to say any positive review is from a shill, if it's also said that every negative review is from a misogynist.

This movie won't be able to win here, heh.

Good for you, be your own person. Thats kinda been the problem up to now, people throw up an opinion and get crushed with labels. You gotta go in with an open mind. Me, I saw the trailers, did some digging into the back story of production and didnt like what I saw. I get it....thats Hollywood, they have invested a lot of money into this picture, they want a return and will do anything to generate a buzz.

Ill see it eventually in the privacy of my home. Not because I dont want to give money to Sony, but because I hate the theater experience of modern movie goers.

The stratification of reviews is quite the modern social experiment, good or bad. But in the end some legit critics will love or hate a movie, especially if its a 50 yard line flick. We have some well respected critics on both sides of the spectrum. I posted the first Legit review from the Village Voice before the embargo officially lifted, they took it down a short time later and re posted it after 10:00AM PST. I never knew what a review embargo was until a few days ago.

Good, Bad or Ugly, Lets hear some reviews from our members in the UK!!! Did you have an overall good experience?

A classic GB review I have from Starlog in 84. Yes, people didn't like the original back then too.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    76.3 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    75.6 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 47
Last edited:

You have every right to take your anger to ridiculous levels NeilT, but you shouldn't encourage this kind of behavior. If a movie requires payment for admission and you see it without paying for it specifically, it's a theft of service.

I was going to say something about this earlier but the man is so full of hate he can't see straight.

A classic GB review I have from Starlog in 84. Yes, people didn't like the original back then too.

View attachment 642850View attachment 642848

Firstly, did you see it? Secondly, if you did see it what were you un biased opinions of the movie? Im gonna make the educated guess that you are a GB fan due to your Avatar and the fact that you traveled out to LA for the premier. Everyone would like to hear the Good, the Bad and Ugly.

Firstly, did you see it? Secondly, if you did see it what were you un biased opinions of the movie? Im gonna make the educated guess that you are a GB fan due to your Avatar and the fact that you traveled out to LA for the premier. Everyone would like to hear the Good, the Bad and Ugly.

Yes, first page of this thread I believe are my thoughts. I'm going to see it again this when I'm not running on fumes and can process it more. I know I missed some things. Before I got out of the theatre I was hearing people loved it or hated it. Right now I'm in the middle because there's things I really loved and things I didn't. Again the best description I'm giving people is a live action Real Ghostbusters episode. Some are going so far as to say it reminds them of a fan film. I can't speak to that cause I don't really watch fan films. They said that because they thought some jokes and scenes were drug out. The cadaver joke scene is one that isn't quite as long as the clip released awhile back. A lot of trailer scenes did not make it in. McCarthys pelvic thrust is another one I don't remember making the cut.

Again, McKinnon is the treat of the movie.

One of the positive reviews on rotten tomatoes:

"Jones, McCarthy, McKinnon, and Wiig are so good together - and in ways that are distinctively theirs and not recycled from the past - that their message of not giving a damn resonates better than the movie's underwhelming climax."

So kind of a cruddy climax, but great film?

So what's going on, did they cut crappy trailers with the worst lines keep the best stuff for the movie itself?

I feared this was gonna happen. The negativity from the internet pulled a reverse-effect and are making people want to see it out of curiosity and the thing will do well and Hollywood reboot city continues....

Last edited by a moderator:

There are a lot more people writing reviews these days that are seen widely compared to back in the day. I go to the movies to have fun. Some people you'd think they murdered their pets/family with the animosity they have towards a "movie". Yes I loved the first two and I'll be seeing it as soon as it releases and I'll be ready to enjoy it.

Well...I just had my stupid moment.

After reading the comments here I decided to take a peek at Rotten Tomatoes myself. I was looking at the ratings and scanning the reviews and noticed that in spite of everything, it looked like the critics were LOVING it. Seriously going hog wild over it.

The I realized I was looking at the wrong one. I was reading reviews for the original. In my defense it's been a long day and someone was talking to me at the time.

For the new one, doesn't seem to be many reviews out yet, but for now I'm holding to my earlier predictions: fairly mediocre movie, but it will still make money. Hype is hype, and butts in seats are butts in seats, even if they only go to see for themselves what the fuss was about...they'll still go.

And Bryancd is dead right about one thing: the bottom line is the Money. If it makes a profit it's declared a win.
When looking at Rotten Tomatoes, click on Top Critics. There is more weight with those critics than the general critic since anyone can write a review, including Sony schills.

So what's going on, did they cut crappy trailers with the worst lines keep the best stuff for the movie itself?

Probably not.

It's not 'filled with hate' to say that it's a paul feig film. the man is just not funny. and none of his actors look comfortable filming his films. hence, no chemistry.
I guarantee we've seen the best stuff and all that's left is uncomfortable line readings.

can't seem to find any reviews out of london yet, good or bad. maybe they don't do sunday night screeenings.

Also, local AMC theaters seem to have only ONEshowing each listed so far in 3D and regular.

Not to be argumentative...

Youtube is a viable outlet for entertainment now... can't be ignored.

Also, it's only fair to say any positive review is from a shill, if it's also said that every negative review is from a misogynist.

This movie won't be able to win here, heh.

First statement, youtubers I've seen at least tend to be more full of themselves than a Reality star. while your statement may be sadly true..most of them just seem too goofy to me to bother following on what they do. and too self inflated even without coverage. My opinion. others may vary ;o).

Second....We just more or less proved sony puts fake positive reviews out there, that for the most part are easy to spot. How can ANYONE trust a positive review at this point?
Either they go in with a 'political statement' as some sites call it to actively like this movie BECAUSE of people like me harping on it every second, or just to **** people off...or are truly paid off by sony. the leaks saw them buying reviews for george clooney's movie IIRC.

That last statement i can whole heartedly agree on. but, it's their own fault ;o). you don't build a movie based around an agenda. good movies just don't work that way ;o)

Looking at who can do a review on the site it seems even the non "Top Critics" still have a rigorous process and really not "anybody" that writes a review online.

Movie reviews in the Tomatometer come from publications or individual critics that have been selected by the Rotten Tomatoes staff. The criteria for inclusion for both publications and critics are separated across three divisions; print, broadcast, and online, each with its own criteria for Tomatometer inclusion.SOURCE APPROVAL
Print publications must achieve and maintain status as one of the following:

• - A top 100 daily US newspaper
  • - A top 100 weekly US newspaper
  • - A top 100 magazine
  • - A top 10 entertainment-based publication
Sources used to determine national publication ranks include the Audit Bureau of Circulations, The Magazine Publishers of America, and the Association of Alternative Weeklies. Applications for international publications will be made on a case-by-case basis, with input from local Rotten Tomatoes editors when applicable.
Broadcast outlets must achieve and maintain status as a national TV or radio outlet (either via syndication or network broadcast) for Tomatometer consideration. Alternatively, a TV outlet must be broadcasting in one of the top ten DMAs, as listed by Nielsen Ratings. Radio outlets must be broadcasting in one of the top five DMAs, as listed by Arbitron. In almost all cases, an outlet's individual reviews must be available online, either as a segment transcript or an alternate, written review.
Online publications must achieve and maintain a minimum 500,000 unique monthly visitors according to comScore, Inc or Nielsen Net Ratings and reviews must have an average length of at least 300 words. Publications must also show a consistent standard of professionalism, writing quality, and editorial integrity across all reviews and articles. Lastly, site design and layout should also reflect a reasonable level of quality and must have a domain name specific to the property.
For all outlets, reviews should be readable within a standard browser; reviews that require users to download additional software or browser plugins (ie PDFs) are strongly discouraged. Applications for international outlets will be made on a case-by-case basis, with input from local Rotten Tomatoes editors when applicable.
CRITICS APPROVAL
Print critics must be currently employed as a film critic at a Tomatometer-approved publication for a minimum of two calendar years to be considered for individual approval.
Broadcast critics must be currently employed as a film critic at a Tomatometer-approved outlet for a minimum of two calendar years to be considered for individual approval.
Online critics must have published no less than 100 reviews across two calendar years at a single, Tomatometer-approved publication, and all reviews should have an average length of at least 300 words to be considered for individual approval.
Video critics
For critics who are primarily publishing their reviews on video, inclusion on the Tomatometer is dependent on meeting the following criteria:

• Video critics must submit a resume outlining their qualifications to review films (include examples of web or print reviews, film-related jobs, etc).
  • Video reviews must be embedded on a website or blog separate from a video hosting site like YouTube or Vimeo, and written transcripts of the reviews must be included with each video entry.
  • Critics must be able to demonstrate a consistent level of professionalism and insight in both their reviews and in the production of their videos.
  • Video critics must have at least 20,000 subscribers on a video hosting site.
In all cases applicants should have two years' worth of published reviews available online, and all applicants must be able to demonstrate that their reviews have editorial oversight.
In some cases, critics that are publishing reviews on a Tomatometer-approved outlet and have membership in select critics associations may be considered for individual approval. However, membership in a critics association does not guarantee approval.
The approved societies are:

TOP CRITICS
Top Critic is a title awarded to the most significant contributors of cinematic and critical discourse. To be considered for Top Critics designation, a critic must be published at a print publication in the top 10% of circulation, employed as a film critic at a national broadcast outlet for no less than five years, or employed as a film critic for an editorial-based website with over 1.5 million monthly unique visitors for a minimum of three years. A Top Critic may also be recognized as such based on their influence, reach, reputation, and/or quality of writing, as determined by Rotten Tomatoes staff.

From the Hollywood reporter review:
Those and other nostalgic nods to the progenitor only serve as a reminder of the charm that's lacking here, sacrificed to bland, effects-laden bloat and uninspired writing, making this a missed opportunity.

A summary of everything that´s been predicted, I dare to say ;)

From the Hollywood reporter review:

A summary of everything that´s been predicted, I dare to say ;)

or the critics dare to say... oops, just posted another hate filled comment ;o)...

https://www.reddit.com/r/ghostbuste...movie_theaters_have_no_faith_in_ghostbusters/

this is pretty interesting. AMC theaters only seem to have one showing each listed at 8PM. and that's a HUGE chain.

oh yeah, just ran into this guy on the corner. He says a SEQUEL Has been announced! ;o)
42b5fbfbd35cf7942fb2a83e6475b914.jpg

I think it's funny how people are going to ignore how blatantly sexist the film is against men, after Feige and Sony screamed "SEXIST" to those who criticized the film at all

We can take it. But you're exactly right. But didn't you hear?? It's only ok to bash men duhhhh!! Swing that pendulum the other way and you're the devil, a sexist, a racist and a bigot!!

I think it's funny how people are going to ignore how blatantly sexist the film is against men, after Feige and Sony screamed "SEXIST" to those who criticized the film at all

They haven't called feig out on it on his last three films, why should this one be any different?
we evil men have been in charge of the world for so long, we can take anything, so it's OK to bash the **** out of us.
never mind the fact that i was bullied in high school like everyone else simply for being a nerd. i must have had glass martini's handed to me on a silver plate because, man, duh.

I also find this leslie jones thing trending on twitter hilarious. She may not be consciously doing it. but to me, it reads as the following. Media not reporting positively on me. Other co Stars getting slightly better praise. What can I, Leslie Jones do? say someone won't dress me. internet and people who bash body shamers see it, someone 'comes to the rescue'...boom. instant praise and slight bump in celebrity star power.

and another no talent star is born just like mcarthy before her. this is my opinion. yours may vary.

still can't find any reviews out of england.

And this guy reviews the movie, likes it but has a HUGE problem with ...

CAMEOS !!! TOO MUCH REFERENCING !!!

Too many, too much ... two steps forward, one step back.

I'll give Sony this much credit: They seem to have done just what I feared, and propped the movie up just enough with reshoots/edits to earn mixed reviews instead of the all-out lambasting the film deserved as conceived and originally produced.

I'll give Sony this much credit: They seem to have done just what I feared, and propped the movie up just enough with reshoots/edits to earn mixed reviews instead of the all-out lambasting the film deserved as conceived and originally produced.

was it really that many though? pretty much everything from feigs initial script pitch survived.

The electrocuted criminal is now changed to a basement dwelling janitor ( a jab at the critics of the film, no doubt)
he even still electrocutes himself on his own invention
The villains from history are still around at the end.
The dance scene was cut, but is in the end credits.
The Giant T Rex is in there, only now a balloon.
The government bashing gbs angle may have been reduced a little, but it's still there.

The jokes in the trailer don't land. although they may have gotten rid of the more under performing ones like 'push/pull'. and 'get ready all you sweaty white people'.

to me, it looks like the exact same pitch that feig gave two years ago almost verbatim.

I think what we are seeing in these reviews are a combination of things already pointed out.
- People too scared to really trash it for fear of SJW comments and articles written about them.
- People genuinely going in to like it just to support it.
And, - people like me who've been hating it for the start not liking it no matter what they do.

what i find funny is that the first review that was brave enough to break the embargo hated it, was actually ANGRY at it, and he wasn't even really a GB fan! IIRC, he didn't even follow it closely and doesn't know all the stuff we do. you don't need any more reviews after that one. it's as honest a perfect capture as you're going to get ;o).

the one Daddy from Naboo posted.....may not be paid... but he HATED the original cast being included? even if the cameo's are stupid... seeing dan in a movie daring to call itself ghostbusters should be a good thing. this sounds like someone who didn't care for the original films, loves paul feig movies, and just said what he said in the hopes of avoiding downvotes. which, as one can see, hasn't happened ;o).

as one who's had the misfortune of seeing tow paul feig movies, as to be properly educated, i just don't get the magic.

was it really that many though? pretty much everything from feigs initial script pitch survived.

I'm not saying that they reinvented the wheel. They did just enough to earn it mixed reviews instead of the near-universal panning the early screenings and trailers received. There's a lot of unfunny stuff they thought was good enough to use in the film's marketing which hit the cutting room floor. It's not terribly easy to shift gears like that. If only they'd given the project so much consideration and listened to what fans wanted from day 1...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back