Ghostbusters (2016) (Post-release)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is probably not going to make an iota of difference for some of you, but read the whole essay if you haven't already.

On My Dad Harold Ramis and Passing the ‘Ghostbusters’ Torch to a New Generation of Fans - Splitsider
Essay from Harold Ramis’ daughter Violet Ramis Stiel.

"As much as I wanted to stomp my foot and align myself with the opposition, there was no way I could stand behind the viciousness and ugliness that seemed to fuel these fundamentalists. From flat-out rejection of women as funny, to remarks about the actors’ looks, to the invocation of GB84 as ‘untouchable’ and disgust with ‘reboot culture’ generally, I was shocked by the anger and outrage. Are these people for real? I wondered. Sure, the timing sucks, but damn! I mourn my dad’s absence in this world as much, if not more, than anyone, but for people to say that he is “rolling in his grave” or would never have let a female-centered cast happen is INSANE. In his personal life, Harold Ramis was a kind, generous, and gracious person. Professionally, he was always about sharing the spotlight and making the other guy look good. Please, stop using my dad as an excuse to hate the new Ghostbusters. It degrades his memory to spew bile in his name."
Conveniently posted the day before release, too. Perhaps a month or two ago I might believe more that maybe she wrote that on her own voluntarily over possibly Sony asking her to write something semi positive to tug some heart strings on the old fans with the loss of Ramis.

I'm not saying it's not possible she wasn't asked to write the piece, but just saying the timing was a little coincidental of when it was published.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

IMDB showing mixed theater reports, but in some cases, it seems to be down movie lines.

seems to be half mostly empty, and almost half totally full. although the empties are mostly detractors and the fulls are mostly supporters....imagine that.
I'll be checking out secret life of pets closer to 7 tommorow at a local theater. braving a theater full of noisy kids just to check in fast on ghostbusters. will see what it looks like..

if I went at 11 even on a saturday it'd probably be closer to empty.

It's a godawful joke, but it took you several weeks to get it? Seriously???

That's a Christmas cracker level gag....I don't think you get those in the US, can't think of an equivalent...

I don't get why that is funny either. but I finally figured out the

Mike Hat joke.

My- Kat. Mike Hat. that's why he calls his dog a cat because of it's nickname, Mike Hat.

Of course, the secretary is too stupid to even remember how to breath, so he wouldn't think like that in general. let alone to cover up the fact that his new boss doesn't like cats and he tries to quickly change the subject and... oh god, my head broke.

we pretty much know this movie is another paul feig dumpster fire. and i can't imagine how they stretch it 2 hours,let alone 4...but it's going to be a long weekend to see what happens.

Harold deserved better than this badly written travesty, at least that is what he told me after I saw this POS.

I knew I should'nt have overindulged with that double Pepperoni pizza

Heres to him haunting the people responsible! :thumbsup

This is probably not going to make an iota of difference for some of you, but read the whole essay if you haven't already.

On My Dad Harold Ramis and Passing the ‘Ghostbusters’ Torch to a New Generation of Fans - Splitsider

"As much as I wanted to stomp my foot and align myself with the opposition, there was no way I could stand behind the viciousness and ugliness that seemed to fuel these fundamentalists. From flat-out rejection of women as funny, to remarks about the actors’ looks, to the invocation of GB84 as ‘untouchable’ and disgust with ‘reboot culture’ generally, I was shocked by the anger and outrage. Are these people for real? I wondered. Sure, the timing sucks, but damn! I mourn my dad’s absence in this world as much, if not more, than anyone, but for people to say that he is “rolling in his grave” or would never have let a female-centered cast happen is INSANE. In his personal life, Harold Ramis was a kind, generous, and gracious person. Professionally, he was always about sharing the spotlight and making the other guy look good. Please, stop using my dad as an excuse to hate the new Ghostbusters. It degrades his memory to spew bile in his name."

Of course the timing was intentional. Ghostbusters is more trending news this week, it is a perfect time to give it exposure and that's probably what the site and she intended to do as well.

If someone wants to write an opinion piece on Star Trek, the week during the release of Star Trek Beyond is a good time.

But I understand for some fans, Sony is behind everything rhetoric sounds more plausible. Keep at it.

Harold deserved better than this badly written travesty, at least that is what he told me after I saw this POS.

I knew I should'nt have overindulged with that double Pepperoni pizza

Heres to him haunting the people responsible! :thumbsup
I really hope you're referring to the reboot and not the article written by Ramis's daughter that was quoted in your post.

This is the kind of thing that irritates me:

the writer-director almost singlehandedly made it OK for funny women to carry film comedies with Bridemaids, The Heat and Spy.

He makes decent movies, but why do his fans have to pretend that he invented female led comedies? This isn't written by a 4 year old right? They are aware that movies actually happened prior to 2010?

I enjoyed it! Theater was 90% full. Amazingly, no one left during the movie and plenty of laughs.

I know I defended the movie a lot but I've never been a big modern comedy or feig movie fan. I did like Spy. Glad the movie beat my expectations!

My family enjoyed it even more than I did.

- - - Updated - - -

He makes decent movies, but why do his fans have to pretend that he invented female led comedies? This isn't written by a 4 year old right? They are aware that movies actually happened prior to 2010?

Sure but when was the last time such a string of women led movies happened before Feig and crew?

Sure but when was the last time such a string of women led movies happened before Feig and crew?

(had to look up some dates) but Bridesmaids was 2011...the last one I personally enjoyed that was female led PRIOR to 2011 would probably be Easy A, 2010. If STRING of hits is the requirement...probably Tina Fey's run in the 2000's.

But they go back to favorites from my childhood, like 9to5, or classics from the 90's like Fried Green Tomatoes, all the way back to the golden age of Hollywood when Gentlemen Preferred Blondes.

Should there probably be more? No question. When you do the numbers side by side the number of female led movies of any genre get dwarfed, but that doesn't make it any less silly to pretend that Paul Fieg is the one who discovered that women can be funny. Women were proving that (and setting box office records) long before he learned how to walk.

"The personification of a cash grab." The best line to describe the reboot.

not 'I cried three times and it's better than the original?' shocker ;o)

- - - Updated - - -

it's the craziness of the internet at work and the cult of feig. this is why we think some articles are sony bought. it sounds like they are trying to pump him up to be some kind of womens rights pioneer or something.

(had to look up some dates) but Bridesmaids was 2011...the last one I personally enjoyed that was female led PRIOR to 2011 would probably be Easy A, 2010. If STRING of hits is the requirement...probably Tina Fey's run in the 2000's.

But they go back to favorites from my childhood, like 9to5, or classics from the 90's like Fried Green Tomatoes, all the way back to the golden age of Hollywood when Gentlemen Preferred Blondes.

Should there probably be more? No question. When you do the numbers side by side the number of female led movies of any genre get dwarfed, but that doesn't make it any less silly to pretend that Paul Fieg is the one who discovered that women can be funny. Women were proving that (and setting box office records) long before he learned how to walk.

there is a variety video i saw somewhere, that had his assistant talking about the moment he thought he could do ghostbusters..
'We where in the car driving to comic con and he said 'last night, i had an epiphany' 'what if I did it with all women?' she says in this dramatic recitation. and she says 'that's the greatest idea i ever heard'.... and she almost seems in awe that she was there for that grand moment and now she can gloat about it to the press.

very very bizzare video...but i couldn't find a way to link it.

it's the craziness of the internet at work and the cult of feig. this is why we think some articles are sony bought. it sounds like they are trying to pump him up to be some kind of womens rights pioneer or something.
Maybe. I don't want to take away from him...I like some of his movies, and I do think it's good to have more women in lead roles so, more power to him on that score.

But I actually watched Bridesmaids. It was a good comedy. Totally unoriginal and predictable plot, but good jokes and great cast. I like that sort of film. It just annoys me when people act like it reinvented the wheel.

I have the same problem with Seinfeld and I LOVE that show. I've probably seen every episode by now, and it's one of the best sit coms ever. But it bugs me when people talk about how original a show about nothing is...its about stock characters in a stock situation. It's called a situational comedy and it's an idea older than TV itself is.

http://deadline.com/2016/07/ghostbusters-weekend-box-office-1201787149/

i am going to be saddened for humanity if this thing makes it number one and makes even close to 100 million in two weeks.

It'll just prove to the world feig was right.. you could insult fans and get away with it...and we want more crap like this.

pets will get my money this weekend so i'm doing my part.

i also can't help but wonder if the ghostbusters fan base is big enough and is seeing this multiple times to try and drive numbers up.

I also wanted to say there were definitely creepy parts in the film. IMO, more so then the original. Of course there were probably more campy parts than the original as well.

It'll just prove to the world feig was right.. you could insult fans and get away with it...and we want more crap like this.

IMO it just proves that "Die hard fans" don't get to be the gate keepers of fandom.

get rid of the gate keepers and you get:

kristin-wiig-ghostbusters-premiere_feat.jpg

IMO it just proves that "Die hard fans" don't get to be the gate keepers of fandom.

get rid of the gate keepers and you get:

View attachment 644691

My god, I wish people would stop posting that picture as proof of anything. For starters, that could be Seth Rogen and those kids would be grinning the same way - people like to meet celebrities. It is cool that it's girls looking up to a female Ghostbuster, but there's absolutely no reason that Kristen Wiig couldn't have been a Ghostbuster in a proper sequel, or even a Ghostbusters reboot which put thought into the best possible story first. It's not that "women are bad," it's that GENDER is a weird priority when you're picking up the torch for one of the most beloved film franchises of all time. This picture really does nothing to address the criticisms that the majority of this project's detractors have.

I watched the originals in the theaters and enjoyed this one just fine. Is it funnier than the original? No, it missed a catch phrase line like "We came, we saw, we kicked its ass".. but it can hang with the second. Normally a die hard Kate fan but thought Kristen and her backstory were surprisingly funny. I felt Melissa was being held back a bit to prevent overcamping but I wished they camped it a little more. Leslie was pretty damn funny and tied the team together really well. I really wanted to see them objectify Hemsworth much more. Think they missed an opportunity to be really wrong-wrong. The original GB cameos dovetailed nicely. Bill killed it with an over the top and Dan was so amazingly subtle that you just had to stop and think about how smooth his delivery was.

Lots of cool prop-ortunities. Could be an expensive year for some here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back