Really Big Imperial Star Destroyer

Baseline

:facepalm Greetings RPF Members,

I am very pleased to be given the opportunity to publicly reveal our current project. We have been commissioned to produce a studio scale [correction] really big Imperial Star Destroyer to coincide with the upcoming release of Rogue One which is scheduled for release this coming December.

Our Patrons wish to, at least for the time being, remain anonymous however they have graciously given us permission to reveal publicly our project. We wanted to wait until we reached an important milestone that was far enough along to demonstrate the size and scope of this project. As of yesterday we hit that first major milestone by completing the production of the major components of the drive section.

Let me state at the outset that these parts are simply placed together in a mock up to demonstrate the enormity of this project. These parts still require post processing and final assembly and there are numerous detail parts that are still to be produced to complete the drive section.These parts are literally just set next to each other and in some cases held together with painters tape. Upon post production and final assembly they will all fit together as they should with little to no evidence of where they join together.

With the long preamble out of the way here is what you came to see.

drive_section_milestone.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Studio Scale Imperial Star Destroyer

Is this a replica of the eight footer?! I am rooting for you and your mysterious benefactors, wow!

Is that about 60" wide ?
The 8' is not as wide (by a lot).

Nice work anyway !

[edit] Just saw your link, OK this is a 3D printed 7' star destroyer

Thank you for your question and support.

The final dimensions are not yet actually known, if you can imagine that. We are working from a digital model that was based on the original 8 footer however it is quite likely that it will not be an exact dimensional copy. At this time it appears the width of the drive section will be approximately 56" tip to tip.

Thank you for your question and support.

The final dimensions are not yet actually known, if you can imagine that. We are working from a digital model that was based on the original 8 footer however it is quite likely that it will not be an exact dimensional copy. At this time it appears the width of the drive section will be approximately 56" tip to tip.

If that can be of any help the right measurements are roughly 245 cm long and 130 cm wide (sorry dont have the exact dimension down to the mm in mind). That may save you some time (my measurements are based off the original miniature).

First let me just say WOW and huge props for your dedication to replicate a part for part reproduction of the original 8 footer, seriously impressive work and dedication.

Our project although based upon the 8 footer is not an exact reproduction.Once the model is complete, and I imagine during the build up, those of you that are either working on those amazing projects or just dedicated enthusiast will easily spot differences.

I believe our projected length will be approximately 231cm. and around 142cm in width. That being said these are just rough measurements from the initial mock up of the drive section which will lose some width once sanding and final fitment are achieved it is entirely possible that we will find ourselves nearly spot on with the 8 footer.

WOW, this is going to be a real beast. Can't wait to see more.

Thank you for your support.

I completely agree she will be a beast and you won't need to wait long to see more, we are currently producing the iconic head section and in just about three days or so you will get the first looks at that part of the model.

Looking good so far. Too bad they don't use actual miniatures on screen for these new Star Wars movies.

Last edited:

It is that exact sentiment that led to this project coming to fruition. We have a long history in digital production and a discussion that has come up for us on numerous occasions was "Wouldn't it be fantastic to be able to bring our work into the world as physical objects at a reasonable cost". Sometimes water cooler talk can lead to incredible outcomes instead of just who is most likely to win the office fantasy sports bracket.

It is a deep appreciation for the now mostly lost art of movie miniature making that inspired us to do this project. We are using a completely different production pipe line to accomplish our end result but it is an effort to honor those people who started it all.

Looking forward to the next update. The rear looks great already.

I have to be completely honest in admitting that I was just a little nervous about revealing our project here because I wasn't entirely certain how the process we were using would be received by the members. In the end I decided that although we were breaking from tradition I felt that I was so encouraged by the results we are getting that I wanted to show people what can be achieved with current consumer level technology.

If you have looked at items available over on Shapeways, for example we also are building a DeAgostini Falcon for a separate client and looked into adding numerous detail parts, we quickly exceeded the cost of the kit with our list of additional parts we wanted to add. This was also part of how we got to this project because we started to investigate if in the end we would be better off just purchasing our own 3D printer instead of using Shapeways.

Can you imagine what it would cost to have outsourced the Star Destroyer printing to Shapeways. It was a no brainer for us we had to get our own printer. We also realized that a consumer level 3D printer alone was not going to be able to complete all of the parts for the model, we were also going to need a 3D router that didn't cost $50,000+, enter Inventables and the X-Carve.

I am very encouraged by the results we have achieved to date and I agree with you that it is fantastic to see how the drive section has come together but I can't wait to see what she will look like when we get to the lighting test for the drive section. I would anticipate that it will go something like this, in my best George Takei voice "Oh My".

I am also very encouraged by the reception RPF members have had to our project regardless of the fact that we are breaking from traditional methods.

TBH I dont think it should be qualified as studio scale since the size is not the same and you're using no original parts (or casting) to detail it.
It does not depict any of the studio model and I think it should be in the general section (making a big model does not make it studio scale).
Just my opinion though.

I thank you for your opinion and as I stated in my previous post this was really the type of response I was concerned about.

Concerning the completed dimensions I have addressed this already, my stated dimensions are really rough initial estimates only. It appears that we will end up within mere cm's of the original. Further although it is based on the 8 footer it is indeed not a direct copy but then again neither are the Star Destroyers that appear in the Rogue One trailer.

As for the process two important points come to mind first as I am certain you are already well aware of the availability of original kits to do a part for part reproduction is a very serious issue for anyone willing to take on such a daunting project in the first place. Second the time and expense required to source the parts and to build out to completion is a serious hurdle for anyone who wants to do this and for us a deal breaker.

An additional consideration is this, our model will be making numerous public appearances which will entail it being moved and handled many times. If our model were a part for part reproduction I would be a nervous wreck each and every time we had to cart it off to the next venue for display.

I provided as many clues as I am allowed to provide as to why ours is not a direct reproduction however in the end I will defer a determination of where this belongs on RPF to the members and moderators of the forum and again mad props to your project.

As for the process two important points come to mind first as I am certain you are already well aware of the availability of original kits to do a part for part reproduction is a very serious issue for anyone willing to take on such a daunting project in the first place. Second the time and expense required to source the parts and to build out to completion is a serious hurdle for anyone who wants to do this and for us a deal breaker.

Yes I am well aware of that :

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=68377

And I do agree regarding the time and expense to find and get the right parts, this is studio scale modeling IMHO.

An individual with your unique and special skill set and immense determination to complete a part for part reproduction is 100% entitled to be of such an opinion. You will find me of like mind in understanding the root of your feelings.

So let me offer a hypothetical scenario for your consideration then.

If Syfy channel were to decide to produce a prequel series of the Battlestar Galactica remake, which itself was created using only digital models, again using digital only production but wanted to do a public relations marketing campaign partly consisting of an 8 foot model of the Galactica would they be entitled to call it a studio scale model?

Our process is based from the current process being used in modern film making, for better or worse this is where we are. We are doing this project partly because I want to remind people where we came from, but also honestly we have already been there. IMHO this is where the future of Studio Scale modeling is headed and for us at least already arrived.

If Syfy channel were to decide to produce a prequel series of the Battlestar Galactica remake, which itself was created using only digital models, again using digital only production but wanted to do a public relations marketing campaign partly consisting of an 8 foot model of the Galactica would they be entitled to call it a studio scale model?

No.

I use myself 3D print parts in movie I worked on, I have absolutely no problem with that, I think you not get what this studio scale section is about, it's not about how the miniatures are done today, using prited parts or whatever, it's about recreate the original miniatures used in movie. And when they were detailled with kit parts, with that same kitparts.

There will never be any studio scale Rogue One Star Destroyer because no Star Destroyer miniature was ever made for Rogue One.

There's no future of the studio scale in the sense you won't change what this is about... If they were a board about "new way of building FX miniatures", yes it would fit perfectly, it fits perfectly the general forum too.

However a model which does not have the same size, proportions, details are not studio scale. Or the Anigrand or Randy Cooper (made by a modelmaker working in the FX industry) would be in this section.

In my view I think you are correct there is at best a bleak outlook for the future of studio scale modeling. As time marches on and the number of years pass since the last film produced using physical models and the number of people who are exposed to those films that are able to form a meaningful enough connection to those works diminishes. Added to the near impossibility that finding the correct parts is likely to become an insurmountable financial undertaking relegated to an increasingly elitist minority. This would seem to paint a bleak future to the casual observer.

Ultimately the decision is not up to me as to where this thread belongs on this forum and I am indifferent to whether it is allowed to remain here or be moved elsewhere. Your feelings are crystal clear and you can be completely assured that you need not reiterate your position because I do get what this section of the forum is about.

Being someone who was part of the transition from physical modeling to digital believe me when i say I have seen this all before.

At times like these I am reminded of this, "If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it." - Chancellor Gorkon Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered County

An ambitious & must read thread this will be, but my thinking & what I know of the studio scale set of basic rules & what you have said, this project should really be in the general modeling section, so I'm with Julien on this.
Dimensions are not known & not a part for part build.
Take a look at Lasse Hennings blockade runner...studio scale size yes...but he put in the general section as no original donor parts were used!. If you deviate from the original miniature in the way of size or detailing, then its acceptable for the general section.

Stu

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back