Hasbro Tie Interceptor Elite conversion

Those wings are much better for sure and the paint will make them even better. Love seeing those two engines glow!

Very sweet project, GTI! It is already quite impressive and not even finished yet (though, sometimes seeing all the work involved before the paint covers everything up really shows how impressive...)

On a philisophical note, don't let the 'toy' features get you down. Many of the things you're correcting were designed with consideration for fast & cheap production - very appropriate for a toy. The fact that any of it is useful as the basis for a display model build is a testament to Hasbro's dedication to making quality products when the name of the game is high volume and (relatively) slim profit margins. When you're finished, I expect it will definitely 'fill the bill' as a display piece.

One question: are those steel bolts you're using to screw into the aluminum armature parts? If so, I'd recommend using some plumber's silicone sealant "grease" on the threads to prevent any galvanic corrosion causing problems later.

Keep up the good work!

Regards, Robert

Robert,

Thank you for the kind an encourage words. The bolts are zinc plated, but now that you mentioned I'll make sure to use lube on the threads or I'd just turn a new set of aluminum bolts.

Those wings are much better for sure and the paint will make them even better. Love seeing those two engines glow!

Oh yeah, not doubt about it. That T styrene trim molding makes a HUGE, HUGE difference in the way the wings look and it some way it takes the toy like feel of the toy to a more mature scale version of it self. I must mention though that I almost give up gluing the T styrene strip to the wings but in the end was well worth the trouble.

Hey guys I have decided to shave the inner side of the wings and replace them with a more accurate part. or at least something similar to the original. so I was wondering if I can get some help from the savvy star wars community Iding some kit parts so I can continue with the build.

I have attached a picture for better reference. I must state that the picture is not my picture. I took it from the web. but if the owner doesn't want it shown I'll be more than glad to take it down.
The main parts that I need ID are the ones around to the axle. To me they look like they are part of an engine or car kit ( valve cover or engine cover perhaps )?
protowing.JPG
Thanks

Ok, so I did some more research and I was able to find some of the model kits needed for the wings and guess what? Some of those kits are way to expensive for my build:behave. Now I'm going to try to find something similar that is not too expensive and make it work. Any suggestions?

Here is what I found
1/12 JPS Mk III
1/12 Yardley M23
1/20 Ferrari 312T3
1/20 Tyrell 6 Wheeler
1/20 Ligier JS11
1/72 Mörser Karl
1/35 Flakvierling
1/20 JPS MK III
1/350 Bismarck

Last edited:
My wife asked: "Why did he turned those in metal?" My answer: "Because he can!";) Those canons will be a very nice detail for sure!

Your answer is right. :D But the main reason for turning them was to add a little more detail to the cannon bay area while keeping them functional. By functional I mean rifle drilled for lighting and front tip designed to accept the 5mm led plastic holder without needing to use glue.

On a side note. I managed to make the two upper cockpit sensors
"]
28073227971_3f7c233587_b.jpg

Thank you for the kind comments guys.

I don't have any updates on the build this time guys. But I have been busy sourcing kits and parts for the build. Here is a bit of a tease.

"]
28525676782_0e9217a33a_b.jpg

Thanks for looking

WTF...Where you got that!...is it the original or the newer stuff (looks sort a sameish) :)

Yes that's the original koolshade.
I got the Koolshade from Mark at ( The Solar Shade Screen Company ) here in the US. Mark is supper cool and nice guy. I believe he is a member of the forum. but I don't remember his user name. PM me if you need his email

Sweet!!! I got a Hasbro Tie Interseptor stashed away in the basement just waiting for it :)
At the mo I got way to many projects in the loop so the Tie will probably not see the light of day until mid 2017 or so :p. Will finish the Slave and then I got a Anigrand SD + a studio scale X-Wing that I really want to start. I will get back to you on the Coolshade for sure. That stuff will bring your model to the next level! When I built my Hasbro Tie I was to involved trying to get the cockpit right..forgot to look in to getting Coolshade for that build, so I will get it right next time.

Now, was Coolshade actually used on the Interceptor? I was under the impression that the wings on that one were textured with fluorescent light diffuser panels, not Coolshade.

Not to call into question the cool factor of the Coolshade. Great find.

--Alex

Now, was Coolshade actually used on the Interceptor? I was under the impression that the wings on that one were textured with fluorescent light diffuser panels, not Coolshade.

Not to call into question the cool factor of the Coolshade. Great find.

--Alex
I believe koolshade was used on both ties, the difference was that on the interceptor was only used on the back of the solar reactor and on the tie fighter was used on the wings and solar reactor.

Update

After many many unsuccessful tries to make several types of glues to stick to the underside of the hatch and stay on with out peeling right off. I decided to cast me a new hatch and start fresh with a more workable surface.

"]
28848335315_6064fc2109_b.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back