Nuka Cola Test Print

Posting a couple of pictures that show my thoughts on the cap design (to be more "game accurate") in appearance.

I think the bottle cap in Fallout4 is not just a standard bottle cap - it looks like a design mix between standard bottle caps, wine / dimpled metal bottle caps and milk bottle caps (to me). The angled shot shows my take on the profile above the angled Nuka Cola.
The in-game model is effectively useless (except for rough idea of shape), just like the bottle- going mostly from the in-game reference shots.

Would love all of your thoughts on it? Do you think my crimp mark count and shape profiles are close?
Should I go with 16, 18, or 20 crimp marks around it?
Do you think I'm missing something on the shadows cast on the normal map?

Nuka Cap research 1.jpgnuka cola cap research 2.jpg

@falloutboy For my bottle cap on my Nuka Cola bottle, I counted 18 crimps by rotating the game model itself in the inventory menu but in the real world, almost all bottles have 21 crimps so if you're looking for game accuracy, I would go with 18.

It's a little blurry, but 18 crimps can definitely be counted. (Screenshot from my Xbox One)
Fri_Dec_18_17-22-14_UTC_2015.png
Hope this helps.

@falloutboy For my bottle cap on my Nuka Cola bottle, I counted 18 crimps by rotating the game model itself in the inventory menu but in the real world, almost all bottles have 21 crimps so if you're looking for game accuracy, I would go with 18.

It's a little blurry, but 18 crimps can definitely be counted. (Screenshot from my Xbox One)
View attachment 644292
Hope this helps.

I couldn't get that good of a head-on shot on PC. Thank you!!

Sooo - ordered FDA safe clear resin, and new casting silicone.

And my lighting effects for my version of a Quantum should be in tomorrow, which will let me finalize the Quantum's design. I'm hoping to have it glow and will design it to be usable like the others. I'm going to be going with a different lighting solution than others have done thus far. Hoping it works how I'm envisioning.

Those look beautiful. Are those in a food safe material yet? and does the cap contain liquid while still having the capability to come off? Because if so, that would make a kick-ass waterbottle

Those look beautiful. Are those in a food safe material yet? and does the cap contain liquid while still having the capability to come off? Because if so, that would make a kick-ass waterbottle

The resin comes in in a few days along with the mold making material. Hopefully within the next week or so I'll be able to show off some water bottle nuka cola;-)

The cap does hold the liquid - especially if I use the version with a small stopper inside. Debating adding a small amount of threading at the top when I do the mold- there is actually about 1/4 inch cut off from the print of the neck that I have the opportunity to get back when I mold it.

Really wish I had a vacuum chamber to make sure the cast comes out perfect. I'll try a few tests with heating the mold and high/thin pour and some vibration - fingers crossed but I'll keep everyone posted as I try new bits.

Also have figured out my quantum bottles perfect design. Just finishing out the modeling, then it'll be a print. It'll put my resin printer through its paces for sure though.

- - - Updated - - -

Wanting to use it as a water bottle for PAX myself ;-)

moldable design.jpg

Here's my current design plan for reprinting so that I can mold them - wanting to do the inner molds silicone layer about 1/2 inch thick- enough for stability, but also enough to "pop" back out (hopefully).

I'm going this route so that there is no visible mold-markings... hadn't seen a bottle cast quite this way - but am optimistic.

Any thoughts? Does it look viable?

- - - Updated - - -

the bottom would be set with a little extra resin and a tertiary mold.

That's definitely interesting. You could add a rigid "mother mold" insert in there, like suspend a cylinder of a suitable shape inside the piece and fill the space between the inside of the mold and the support piece/mother mold with silicone. You ought to be able to pull the rigid support out and then pull the silicone mold out after casting.

Following with interest!

_A

That's a great alteration (the mother mold insert)- not sure why I hadn't thought of leaving one in.. I should be able to print one for optimal sizing even.
I'm just wishing I'd done the Nuka Cherry with the same bottom cutout design.

Cheers :)

A glimpse on my current design (in partial cross section) for the quantum bottle.
I really think I'm moving in the right direction with the internalized lighting with this design. It should push my resin printer a bit, but looking forward to starting the print in the next day or so.
It shouldn't effect the overall holding capacity by more than an oz or two- but I think it should have the glow disperse internally in a very even way- and allow easy access to batteries, etc.
Any feedback is always appreciated.
Quantum Side Profile1.jpg

Last edited:
Collar printing the first half - fingers crossed- should know by morning if it's going to be successful, and if so, start cleaning and finishing when I get home from work in ~18 hours..

Then hopefully printing the quantum bottle. Can't argue the finish quality- but darned if the high detail doesn't take ages. Printing at 20 microns for this piece due to thinness of the walls. Normally would print 2x as fast or more at 50 or 100 microns. could have also possibly arranged it so that all 4 middle lighting mount pieces were on the same bed, but wanted to ensure it came out right first. The inverted nature of the resin printer sometimes leads to weird orientation angles needed to successfully print thin walled pieces, or adjusting support amounts up or down.
.collar printing.jpg

So- it seems my printer is either having a projector malfunction or isn't playing nice with my other computers, as the projector just isn't projecting anything. I don't get the laptop that it was playing nice with back until Sunday as it went on a trip to California with my brother.

Such is life.

Hoping that the laptop and printers projector still play nice together- but if not, the support offered to give me a FedEx label for it (which is awesome, because it's a 3.5' bloody box, and weighs a significant amount.

So hopefully will resume work "soon".

I did refine the molding model, eliminating the internal diffuser piece, and going with a clams shell design for the quantum bottles label that should work great, and integrates clips for the batteries in a more polished look.

Very cool project! I love the idea of having these to be able to be used. Have you though of actually casting one in glass?

I've looked into it. The only way to get it made in glass in a cost "effective" way for a run would be to order a significant quantity.. I don't really want to run that kind of risk with Bethesda though.

The drinkable safe route will be good enough for me, and I will quite probably do a run of some limited sort if there is interest.

Molding and casting them should help me get the price down from what it would be otherwise.

I'm very much so looking forward to trying my hand at molding it- really want to bring a set to PAX Prime to hopefully get signed if Bethesda's Fallout team is there.

Tested battery life for the quantum bottles' lighting.
Using 3 cr2016s in a series on each of the internal light strips.
7+ hrs of glow on the cr2016 batteries and still bright. Have to say I'm pleased.
Using generic bulk CR2016 batteries- wondering how long they'll maintain illumination.

I'm sure sure that higher end batteries could last a bit longer then these end up doing.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back