Tom's resin vader saber

Thanks! I'm glad you guys liked it. I thought I was gonna get heat for destroying the resin cast.

I mistakenly said it was aluminum, its actually Stainless steel. Since I was already taking some liberties with the project. I went ahead and added the to red arrows and the bolt just bellow the shroud. Also inverted the activation box for displaying purposes.

I believe the cast has shrunken over time and recastings. Judging from the pictures on the first post the end cap is definitely a Maglite cap, and the only two size options are C cells and D cells. The C is just way too small and the D would make sense considering vintage flash handles used D cells. However when I compared the size of the cast with a Maglite D cell cap, I found that the cast is noticeably smaller. So I went for a 1.5" stainless steel tube and I cut it down to 8-1/2" in length.

I plan on doing more mods than that. I don't think you did anything that would deserve heat or negative feedback. I plan on sanding off the grips and using real track in its place as well as add real screws and rings.

That was smart thinking!

I believe the cast has shrunken over time and recastings. Judging from the pictures on the first post the end cap is definitely a Maglite cap, and the only two size options are C cells and D cells. The C is just way too small and the D would make sense considering vintage flash handles used D cells. However when I compared the size of the cast with a Maglite D cell cap, I found that the cast is noticeably smaller. So I went for a 1.5" stainless steel tube and I cut it down to 8-1/2" in length.

I plan on doing more mods than that. I don't think you did anything that would deserve heat or negative feedback. I plan on sanding off the grips and using real track in its place as well as add real screws and rings.

I thought about using brand new track ( and to be honest still considering it) but I wanted to retain as much as possible from the original cast as possible, just transplanted to a metal base that isn't so distorted. It is tempting though if I could find the right screws.

Which screws are you planning on using??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if I wil use the larger hex head screws that go on the body if thats what you mean, however I think those are 1/4 20 hex head. If I did this, I would only drill just enough to hold a couple of threads and probably glue them in place so I don't Crack the resin. The other screws that I plan on using will just be matched up to those visible on the saber already. Also using a metal d ring. I have chain spreaders already so installing the ring should not be an issue.

One thing to keep in mind about the T-tracks is that you will need ESB/ROTJ size but 7 (a la ANH).

You've definitely got me thinking of doing it as the T-tracks are the weakest point of my build at the time. They were really hard to carve away from the cast without damaging them. The majority came off pretty good but 2 of them are in rough shape. not to mention they are warped due to shrinkage and recasting over time, so they didn't sit naturally flat on my steel tube base. I'm gonna see if I can tackle this by next week, if I can get some T's from Roy.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW- has anyone figured out whats the piece holding the D-ring? That would be awesome if it could be replaced with a real metal part.

One thing to keep in mind about the T-tracks is that you will need ESB/ROTJ size but 7 (a la ANH).

You've definitely got me thinking of doing it as the T-tracks are the weakest point of my build at the time. They were really hard to carve away from the cast without damaging them. The majority came off pretty good but 2 of them are in rough shape. not to mention they are warped due to shrinkage and recasting over time, so they didn't sit naturally flat on my steel tube base. I'm gonna see if I can tackle this by next week, if I can get some T's from Roy.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW- has anyone figured out whats the piece holding the D-ring? That would be awesome if it could be replaced with a real metal part.
Agreed. The condition of the resin tracks is what made me decide on putting on new ones. Over all, it's a really nice saber with or without mods or finishing.

I finally painted up my casting after slowly cleaning it up over the past few months. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out:
ILM_Vader_01.jpgILM_Vader_02.jpgILM_Vader_03.jpgILM_Vader_04.jpg
ILM_Vader_05.jpgILM_Vader_06.jpgILM_Vader_07.jpgILM_Vader_08.jpg

I did many layers, but the base layer is satin black. The second pass was Tamaya gloss aluminum, then it was a bunch of dry brushing and washes until I felt like it looked good. I also hit the top half and end cap with silver Rub n Buff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back