Overwatch - Pharah

RipleyAdams

I've been eager to do armor for YEARS now, but I haven't really had the time or space. Nothing's really changed except my dedication to actually get something built, so I'm attempting to make due with the space and time I have limited anyway. So, this is my first build, but I have been researching/studying/asking about armor crafting (both foam crafting and pepakura) for what's probably been half a decade or so. I don't want to check; it'll make me feel old.

The first issue I had was 'what armor set do I do'. For a while I was deeply ingrained in the Halo universe and was bouncing between MARK V Kelly or Sarah Palmer's MARK VII Scout kit or any of the iterations of Meta from Red vs. Blue (totally counts as Halo, right?). Then Halo started sucking and I fell out of the fandom (still love RvB but realized Meta was ... a bit ambitious with that helmet orz). Played Destiny a bit and considered a Titan build, but in the end couldn't decide on anything.

Then I played Overwatch. Really I haven't been playing anything else since it came out. Or even before that when the Beta was live. I can't remember how I passed my time in between. I main Pharah and one of the things I love is her armor kits; the rich colors, the shape and line of it, the jump jets and the way they flare open when Justice Rains From Above.

I'm starting with her basic configuration with a couple alterations; still trying to decide if I want to do her regular helmet or the Anubis helmet, and instead of the colors shown I want to do a chameleon pearlescent using custom car paints in a purple/black (or similar; I figure I'll get more decisive about paint colors when I get further down the road).

I am also currently moving so for now, I'm trying to start simple and do a lot of sketching/scaling and templates with a random roll of butcher paper and 1/4" craft foam that's been in my collection for years. Finally putting it to good use. I plan to start with the feet (which seem relatively simple in comparison) and work my way up, so by the time I get to the chest piece, jump jets, arms, and helm, I'll have an idea how things react and will have hopefully worked out some of the more amateur kinks that I'm sure to experience along the way.

For the final product I intend to use primarily EVA foam, Barge's rubber cement, and Plastidip, but as I'm starting with basic templates I don't anticipate on even getting to an EVA stage until mid-late August (depending on how smoothly the impending move goes, really).

I will try to keep up a consist ant progress report. Today I am dumping all the work I've done so far; printouts of the Overwatch Reference Kit of Pharah (minus her rocket launcher, one thing at a time, Ripley!), grid over main reference, and food armor sketch.
pf3.jpgpr1.jpgpr2.jpgpr4.jpg

An ambitious costume to say the least, but you will be the first to publish your progress on Pharah for this forum. Your preparation for everything seems to be very orderly, so I personally cannot wait to see what you come up with when it comes time to start making parts out of foam!

Best of luck!

You're smart to spend so much time doing research first. It really, really helped me out with my first build, which is equivalent in difficulty to Pharah, and even then I had to redo some parts. Planning is everything!
Pharah has been on my wishlist of projects for a while now but I'm not sure I'll get around to such a huge project any time soon. Super glad I get to see someone doing a Pharah build here! I've given a lot of thought to how I would make her armor (granted it would be with 3D printing), and with how similar this is to my first build hopefully I can help you along the way in some capacity.
Can't wait for your next post!

NICE I'm working on a Pharah too (frostbite skin) and so is a friend (she's doing raptorion). I'm starting with the jetpack, lol

I have a photo album of a TON of screencaps I made a while back if you're interested I can share the link, just pm me!

Sent from my SpringBoard using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back