T-70 X-Wing as Red Leader

StevenBills

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi all,

About once per year my dad and I get together and have a sort of "modeling week" where we just sit in the hobby room and build models. Well, this year was a bit different because it really just turned out to be a modeling weekend, which is fine, but it felt a bit rushed. Anyway.

This year I decided to build Bandai's Resistance T-70 X-Wing, but do it up as the ANH Red Leader X. I just got this picture of the T-70 with red on it and couldn't make it go away, so I ran with it.

This being a Bandai kit, it went together excellently. The fit was almost perfect everywhere, but I DID have to use more filler than I would have thought. If they just molded the whole fuselage in a single color, then they wouldn't have to break it up into so many pieces, thus making panel gaps that need to be filled.

For the wing markings, I used the outline of the stickers from Bandai's T-65, which worked pretty well at this small scale. Base color is a 1:3 mix of MM Camo Gray and White. Stripes are red, there's a yellow panel in there, and I don't remember which blue I ended up using for the canopy. Helpful hint: blue and yellow make green :rolleyes

Some WIP pics:

P1190059.jpg

There are little nubbins on the wings that needed to be sanded off and filled as well. Didn't take any pics of that though.

P1190069.jpg

P1190067.jpg

P1190068.jpg

P1190071.jpg

P1190072.jpg

P1190074.jpg

P1190075.jpg

Some finished pics:

IMG_9515.jpg

IMG_9531.jpg

IMG_9526.jpg

IMG_9524.jpg

IMG_9523.jpg

IMG_9519.jpg

IMG_9516.jpg

IMG_9507.jpg

IMG_9510.jpg

IMG_9534.jpg

See the whole album here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/134871882@N02/albums/72157667677760443

Thanks for looking.

SB

I love this look. I have to say that the black/orange is my least favorite colour scheme in the entire star wars galaxy. We get it. It's the opposite of white/blue. But it still looks bad

Very nice..... I love the retro paint job on the newly styled x-wing. Looks great, you did a fine job.

Andy Moore over at Britmodeller.com did one up as the RMQ concept version, which I really like. I still want to do one up as the RMQ concept version, but we'll see.

Thanks for the kind comments everyone.

SB

Looks great! As an aside, that guy takes some really really beautiful photographs of the sprues... I found myself just gazing at them, wondering if I could put one on my wall or something...

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back