Mace Windu is Alive...

Anyone who thinks Bob Fett survived is mistaken. If you're in that camp, know that I am laughing at you. :lol

Fett lived like a bitch and died like a bitch :) The only reason people cling on to him is because of the character design and back story - well, lets forget young Boba ;) Lets get real, Fett,s depiction in the saga ruined him and it didnt match up to the hype. As ive heard before he was supposedly the 'Clint Eastwood' of Star Wars, but going by his actual appearance id say he looked more like 'frankie goes to Hollywood'.

Also, didnt you know that Maz Kanata is Mace Windu ;)

Boba Fett's fate is still uncertain. The old EU version is null as a citable source, but his armor, at least, survived. That's canon, whether you like it or not.

I still prefer the notion that Mace survived. Anakin fell from much lower down and was fine. Free-falling from one of the highest buildings on Coruscant gives you a loooooong time to get over the surprise and consider your options. I can see him easily disappearing into the anonymity of the mid-levels.

--Jonah

I can only see the capital of the galaxy having automated safety droids to catch life or debris falling. Wouldn't you think?

Boba Fett's fate is still uncertain. The old EU version is null as a citable source, but his armor, at least, survived. That's canon, whether you like it or not.

I still prefer the notion that Mace survived. Anakin fell from much lower down and was fine. Free-falling from one of the highest buildings on Coruscant gives you a loooooong time to get over the surprise and consider your options. I can see him easily disappearing into the anonymity of the mid-levels.

--Jonah

Re: Fett -- how do we know his armor survived?

As for Fett being kind of a punk in the films, Fett is actually less a "Man with No Name" and much more of a "Luca Brasi." He's this guy who has a fearsome reputation that's referenced in the film, but you never actually see him do anything to live up to it. And, in fact, when he's finally put into real combat, he goes out like a punk, just like Brasi did.

"What's this?"

>hands helmet covered in sand and what appears to be some kind of goo<

"It's a Corellian message. It means Boba Fett sleeps in the Sarlacc."

I always liked Fett and I always thought he could have survived the pit,but if he didn't well he didn't.

But with the take on him in the prequels and especially the awful one in the Clone Wars show....I kinda WANT him dead now! :lol but he could have a son of his own......

Re: Fett -- how do we know his armor survived?

In the canon novel Aftermath, which mostly takes place about six months after ROTJ, there are several vignettes providing interludes from the main story, which lay hints at events or settings that will be explored later in that trilogy, or in other works pending. One is on Tatooine, where a mysterious stranger help someone talk their way into the secure room on a Jawa sandcrawler (where they keep the good stuff that they don't trot out for casual customers). Amongst the things in there, the POV character finds [...] a series of panels from what looks like a Hutt sail barge, plus a few other Huttese artifacts -- some charred, others twisted. All of it wreckage." as well as, in a large, long box, "a helmet. Pitted and pocked, as if with some kind of acid. [...] Mandalorian battle armor. Complete set, by the looks of it. Been through hell and back." Like I said, no data on what happened to the former occupant of the armor, but I doubt the Jawas went spelunking in the Sarlacc on the off chance there might be something good down there.

--Jonah

Maul and Fett being supposedly being alive is a money spinner. Disney/LF know that there are fans of both and will churn out all kinds of rubbish to keep people spending money - thats the truth of the matter. Windu wouldnt be worth it. I would hazard a guess and say that most Star Wars fans find the idea of such amazing survivals being horse **** :)

I didn't like Maul being resurrected either. I think they just realized they blew it by killing him off so soon. Out of all three I would only buy Fett surviving because he did have armor and a jetpack.

Yeah, even Fett coming out of the Sarlacc is a bit much, but I would buy it easier than Mace or Maul. Like you said, at least he had armor and could possibly have tried firing his jet pack to fly out.

I've thought there is a small possibility the explosion you see is him tossing a grenade to try and kill the thing,we dunno really but time will tell.

Of course he'd be so old by now it'd almost HAVE to be a son if he shows back up.

I would accept Boba Fett escaping the Sarlacc pit if ROTJ itself contained some kind of hint of the possibility. Not without that.

Not to mention that if Mace survived, why wouldn't he have been at the forefront of helping the Rebellion at the time of the galactic Civil War? Again, it's the stuff of terribly conceived fan fiction.

Mace Windu surviving that fall is just as dumb as Darth Maul being resurrected with robotic spider legs. If death has no consequences in the Star Wars universe then we are robbed of the dramatic tension and danger and left with stupid fanfiction.

I think it's a little different. I mean, yes, Maul surviving is...well, it's just completely unbelievable. The guy was bisected and fell down a bottomless shaft. HOWEVER, Maul was so criminally under-used in TPM that it sort of makes sense that we want to hand-waive away his death, if only to allow people to explore his character more. While I agree that death needs to be more final in the Star Wars universe, I can see a narrative argument for having Maul survive or for the Maul we see being some half-grown clone who has no idea he's even really a clone. Or whatever.

Mace Windu, on the other hand, was decently explored, both in the films, and in the Clone Wars cartoon. We've gotten to spend plenty of time with him. There's no need to keep him around, and no narrative benefit whatsoever.

I didn't like Maul being resurrected either. I think they just realized they blew it by killing him off so soon. Out of all three I would only buy Fett surviving because he did have armor and a jetpack.

Exactly.

I would accept Boba Fett escaping the Sarlacc pit if ROTJ itself contained some kind of hint of the possibility. Not without that.

Yeah, I could buy Fett escaping the Sarlacc. Of all the guys who fell in that day, Fett is the ONE GUY who I could believe would find a way out.

And his death feels like the least final of the three, mostly because his has the most plausible "get out of death free" explanations. He was wearing an armored and armed battlesuit WITH a jetpack. He fell in whole (e.g., not missing limbs or, you know, half of his freakin' body). The battle suit contains a wrist-rocket, a flamethrower, and who knows what other goodies, AND a jetpack. So, yeah, I can see Fett getting out.

I agree with the sentiment that Maul was under used and was killed off prematurely, but like you said to have the character cut literally in half and fall down a shaft that's presumably hundreds and hundreds of feet deep is a pretty definitive death. To have the character return from that the way he did is ludacris , EVEN for Star Wars. It's just blows mind that people just accepted it, all because of the Infinity comic book where Maul returns as a half cybernetic spider to exact revenge on Obi-Wan. Wouldn't it be more interesting if Maul returned as Sith force ghost? It would fit better with the mythology and still be something we've never seen up until this point, not counting anything from the EU of course.

But I'm also playing devils advocate here too because Maul is just like Fett and all of the other background characters. He is just a henchman who looks cool, and is actually better because we know so little about him. This is same reason why doing origin stories on existing characters are almost always a let down because it robs our character of mystery which is what makes them so interesting in the first place.

Funny enough, on the Return of the Jedi DVD commentary, Lucas actually considered adding a shot of Boba's hand coming out of the Sarlacc pitt for the Special Edition. He ultimately decided against it because, and this is surprising coming from him, there was no point to it. Boba doesn't show up later in the film and Lucas wasn't planning on making any more movies that were set after Return of the Jedi.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back