My lifesize Chalice of Kali - indiana jones sculpture

Customrelic

Ive been working on this for a while now and should have it done today. Its my version of the chalice. Im going to experiment with latex later to see how i can get the skin to "fall off". The size is roughly 18" tall and i molded the head dimensions off a real skull. My only hang up is what to do with the cup. All the photos i see showna hammered texture. Does anyone know if the original had this? I tried looking at screen shots but cant seem to figure it out.

I sculpted an molded all the teeth seperate and will be adding them later today. Same with the pour spout tongue thing. And im also adding a flange around the base of the cup as seen in the movie. I just left it off right now so it didnt break while working on it.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    998 KB · Views: 254
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1,013.5 KB · Views: 237
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 279
Last edited:
Re: My lifesize Chali of Kali - indiana jones sculpture

I finished the gold and started the first base colors for the head. Im not sure if i should mess around with latex to try and mimic peeling skin. Any advice or comments welcome.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 240
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    738.7 KB · Views: 345
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    521.5 KB · Views: 414

Looks awesome. Are you going to be making any for sale?

I finished the gold and started the first base colors for the head. Im not sure if i should mess around with latex to try and mimic peeling skin. Any advice or comments welcome.

I have used silicone to replicate desiccated/mummified skin. You can get great results, but it doesn't hold up over time. If you want to go the latex route, tint the silicone and use some thin gauze or batting to add strength and use small squares or torn bits and build layers.

I have also used another combination that held up much better to harsh light and moderate handling, Tissue paper and tinted PVA glue. I tint a small batch and make a small test piece of skin to see how the color looks. It is essentially the same process, you can use cotton, but I find toilet paper or tissue paper to be easier to manipulate in the application stage. The added bonus to the PVA route is you can sand the skin to make thin worn spots.

If the skin doesn't adhere you can go back and use CA to stick it down. I normally start off with one layer of normal tinted glue. The subsequent layers are thinned down so that the paper texture is more pronounced. I also use a hair dryer to speed the drying time. I dry until the top layer is set, but tacky.

Thanks for the tip. Im going to experiment with that. I already tinted a batch of latex and painted it onto cookie sheets. I peeled it off and its working pretty good.

Nial- im not sure. I do have intentions on making a copy for my brother. But before i do anything with a member from here id have to wait till i met the rpf requirements.

I decided not to mess with skin. I didnt want to replicate the sideshow version. I did a few more shades of paints and rubs followed by a layer of latex. Thats it for now. Im pleased with it. Now to finish my national treasure 1:1 Charlotte bell and Indiana jones 1:1 crystal skullimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Have you ever stared at something for a while and decided it needed to be changed? I wanted to try and make the colors deeper and maybe add some more shading. I got out the airbrush and started to go over the latex layer. I like the texture of the latex and want to tone down the sheen. I really love this prop.
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

- - - Updated - - -

I just notice my title says "chali of kali"
how do i fix that?

Looking good!!

Last Halloween a friend of mine was dressing up as a voodoo priest and wanted an accessory that fit his costume. I was just going for a rotted skull at first but as it progressed it started looking more like the chalice of Kali. So I just took it in that direction. It is by no means screen accurate but it turned out pretty good for a rush job. Chalice itself is 2 plastic ice cream bowls mounted together and covered with Apoxie Sculpt. I used a foam skull from Walgreens as the base and sculpted on top of it using air dry clay. Paint was done with a combination of spray paint, acrylics, and airbrushing.

IMG_7455_zpsbghmicie.jpg

IMG_7460_zpsvmk459o4.jpg

IMG_7457_zpsjx88aavo.jpg

IMG_7453_zps1fhc85pr.jpg

IMG_7458_zpsgyanxyix.jpg

That came out awesome. Lots of times i make something thats not screen accurate, but i like it. Its art and you should make it how you invision it. Mine started out as a styrofoam head from micheals. I cut off the jaw and glued it more open. The chalice part was a foam block and plaster bandages. The bottom was the lid to a peanut butter jar. I love the way mine came out. I like it much better then the sideshow version. Yours is great
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back