Star Wars Bandai Kit Paint work!

ecl

Sr Member
I bought the Bandai Y-Wing kit and am blown away by the amount of detail on this small model! Jumped into painting it, and still have a lot more to do, but here are some progress photos. Not really doing any kind of modding to the kit, but I did order some more accurate front cannons (not installed yet. Stock cannons in the photos below), since the stock ones are a bit big.

R2sNESI.jpg

k9X6xI9.jpg

xivaTJL.jpg

zzDKVEK.jpg

bJdBgsa.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Bandai Y-Wing 1/72 build/paint up

Beautiful paintjob so far! :) Will you add the two white/light grey stripes to the canopy and blue to the cockpit pod sides?

Looking fantastic so far.
I'm almost afraid to ask, but what the heck is in that bucket?
Please tell me you weren't caught short in your hobby room. :)

Thanks for all the comments! I find I really love these Bandai kits, they're fun to paint, even if on the smallish side.

That bucket does look gross lol! :lol Got to keep the brushes happy though!

yes I'll be painting the stripes on the canopy soon, also a few more details here and there.

Gotta say, that is one fantastic looking Y Wing. I just picked up one of these myself, and I can't wait to get started on it!

Thanks everyone! Anyone considering the Bandai kits should just do it. They're super fun to build.

I used a base coat of flat white first, because the aging really darkens things fast, and it's not as easy to do refine it at this scale with sprays, considering I don't have an airbrush. But I use the pastels technique which does add a good amount of depth and works great at this scale with some Q-tips. Prior to the pastel details, I spray a cream color in a few spots with a rough stencil to create aging contrast, along with gray primer (primer seems to work well for some aging fx as the spray is more fine.)

Painted in a few more details on the cockpit! Going to do the Astromech droid next and then finish the bottom of the ship. I'm making a custom stand for it as well. The lighting isn't all that good in the pics below, will take better pics after it's all done.

l7lMBfP.jpg

eDjRsDp.jpg

WFDGzus.jpg

4X7uCLf.jpg

m1YExEq.jpg

That really looks excellent. My favourite version of Y-Wing paint scheme, the colours on the cockpit section work so well. May I ask what paint you used for the light blue?

I might as well turn this thread into my general Bandai painting thread, as I just finished painting the Bandai AT-ST. I plan on getting the X-wing and A-wing next! These are so fun to work on. I'll be working on a custom base for the Y-Wing next though.

The blue for the Y-Wing canopy is actually a custom mix of various acrylics paints. I don't know exactly what the blue looks like in person, but I based my color on several different references. It's a bit more subdued than it appears in some of the photos. I didn't want it to look too dark. It's basically a mix of a cream, white, and blue paint, and a touch of black to tone down the saturation. On a few references, it almost sort of blends in with the other colors of the ship, creating a kind of dusty look. That's what I decided to go for!

Here's a quick shot (with flash) of the AT-ST with my phone. The actual color is darker; I'll take better pics soon.

p49DLoT.jpg

SZbFlWs.jpg

Thanks; I don't like the stock base either! I'm thinking about building a small diorama for this one with various tree trunks, etc. Could be fun.

Here's a better shot of the paint work:

7I8widw.jpg

This is amazing, you dont have a airbrush?
when you say "I spray a cream color in a few spots with a rough stencil to create aging contrast" is this used on the at-st too?
Got pics to show how a bit better ?
Questions,questions,questions :)

Yea, I don't have an airbrush! Although I find I can paint fine without one. Sometimes I think airbrushes look a bit too soft. I didn't use the rough stenciling with the AT-ST. The AT-ST was actually quite simple to paint. Just one color of model paint spray, and the rest was done with varying degrees of pastel work. The small cans of spray paint you see in modeling stores work pretty well to create very fine layers of paint. I use some cotton balls and Q-tips to get the pastels on the model after the paint dries, sometimes I even do that before the paint is complete cured as it grabs better and can form subtle weathering effects. It's surprising how well it stays on too! Although I will eventually spray a light matte clear coat over it. I'll take some close up pics soon! I'll also take a picture of the pastels I'm using. Basically a range of earthy tones , white, grays and black.

One thing I don't normally do however is the dark wash and wipe off technique that you often see. The reason why is because I think it accentuates some of the paneling/details too much, almost like a kind of artificial outline around too many of the details. I may do it in some small spots, but never over the whole thing.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back